2006 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
No Problems at 49K
By Marc on 07/21/09 15:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased it new, mostly hauling stuff and occasional people. Only problem was the brake recall. Only service - minor front end work, new tires (too early, imho) and regualr services when the change oil light comes on. I did buy the extended service from Ford, so I hope the tranny fails before 75K if it does at all. Oh and if you drive it carefully you can get 25+mpg on the highway at 65mph. I know because I have done it.

There are better choices for the money
By CHICAGO on 07/15/09 21:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

If I were buying a new crossover, I would certainly consider the Mazda CX9 first. The new Chevy/Buick Enclave second. The Freestyle (now the Taurus X) lacks serious driving and performance refinement. No matter how conservatively you drive it, you can sit and watch the gas gage go down. My only hope is that I can trade it in under the cash for clunkers act.

Love this car
By Love this car on 06/20/09 10:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Just hit 55,000 miles with no major problems. Love taking this car on weekend road trips or even drove cross country a couple of times. Second row seat gets stuck sometimes. Love how the third row seat flips up or down depending on what i am hauling. 3.0 engine is just good enough, but a little more would have been nice.

Lovin' the Freestyle
By Roughneck on 06/16/09 15:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my '06 Freestyle about a year with 24k on it and have put another 20k on it since. I love the CVT and how smooth it rides and the engine has more than enough power. Most of my driving is highway and the engine moves my Freestyle faster than any other car I had. The inerior is beautiful and all the features make it feel like a much more expensive car. All these bad reviews are full of it because I am still riding on my same brakes, CVT and Continental tires with no problems. Overall I love everything about my Freestyle and as of 40k don't have anyhting to complain about.

Mr
By BayAreaStyle on 06/07/09 22:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Clean exterior styling, massive cargo space in a mid size vehicle, peppy CVT transmission. Freestyle doesn't stand out on a spec sheet but it does the things I purchased it for really well. Carrying a family of four and lots of outdoor gear in comfort in all conditions. We have been in Sierra blizzards, carried the in laws (with the extra 2 seats in the back), hauled 3 kayaks with camping gear and have been happy with the performance. Fuel economy in cruise is around 22 mpg which is pretty good for an AWD that weighs 5000 lbs

Not bad
By Charlie on 06/04/09 08:19 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

It is going on 3yrs and about 30,000 miles and no major problems. New brakes as others have mentioned were replaced (covered by Ford). The tires need to be replaced soon. Gas mileage okay (about 18-20 city). Ride is good with plenty of room. Wondering if extended warranty is good idea as with any vehicle.

Transmission is out!
By Tammy on 05/27/09 07:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car to get away from the high gas prices of my Ford Explorer. The car has great room. It seats 7. Comfort level is ok. I do not think of this car as stylish. However, it does fine on gas for the size. I WON'T buy this car again because my TRANSMISSION is now having to be replaced. Absolutely ridiculous for a 3 yr old car with 57k miles. Since Ford had the 3yr/36,000 warranty, I am having to pay for the repairs myself. I will not buy another Ford car again.

family hauler
By garryone on 05/15/09 17:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

no problems in 18,000 miles smooth dependable power,this is not a race wagon but will get you up to highway speeds once you learn how the cvt trans works. City fuel milage at 24.4 summer 22 in winter and highway 27.5-33 mpg.

Edmunds reviewer is batty
By james burkes on 05/13/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I'm commenting to mostly straighten out a misconception. The Freestyle is not slow, with a bad motor. It is fast, with a proven reliable motor. Edmunds review of the same year Chrysler Pacifica says "Acceleration is a little soft from a standstill, but once the 3.5-liter V6 gets its wind, the vehicle moves out quickly." "Moves out quickly"?!?! The Freestyle beats this car in acceleration, yet the Edmunds review of the FS says that its major downfall is power. If you press the gas all the way down on this car, hang on! I don't have to do that hardly ever, as the power is fine for anyone not used to driving muscle cars. Get real edmunds.

My Love went Sour
By Kris on 04/06/09 23:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I really loved the car. We bought this car used with 31,000 mi on it. 2 months after purchase the battery light went on and a new alternator is being installed- at 32,000 mi! I wish it was the breaks! Now I'm waiting to see what will happen next after reading the reviews!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.