Used 2006 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Over-all Excellent Vehicle
By ownedmanycars

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased it used with 80,000kms {50,000miles} on it. Drove it for about 2 years then was written off when someone smashed into it. It was hit when it had 155,000kms {97,500miles}. No major issues. Maintained regularly. Drove it across Canada & the US without any issues. Awesome fuel mileage too for a vehicle of it's size. Wish we would have bought another to be honest. Only issue we had was the fault of the garage; we had the fuel filter replaced and they didn't put one clip back on which cases the gas line to pop off at the filter. The garage covered the tow, put another new filter and get new clips and installed them; no issues otherwise.

Comfort and versitility

Bland to look at. not exactly a bad thing though. CVT made it feel slow but it wasn't; had enough power.

Watch out
By mae52

2006 Ford Freestyle SE 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought used 6 months ago a 2006 Ford Freestyle SE AWD with CVT. Power steering pump went I had it replaced. Two weeks later rack and pinion steering making noise, took it in to have it looked at and he said the following, the front sub frame on your car is completely rotted out and is unsafe to drive. The sub frame was replaced at a cost of $1000.00 plus labor (used sub frame). The rest of the frame is strong. The sub frame must have been rotted for years. This is a six year old car! All I can say congrats to the drunk or stoned UAW workers who put this car together. You must be happy, you must have had a good laugh. By the way, the front brakes needed replacing and a caliper was seized.

Comfortable, has lots of room

Try buildinga frame that isn't rotted out. Cheap looking interior

BAD EVERYTHING
By niecyx5

2006 Ford Freestyle SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is the worst vehicle FORD has ever made and BUYER BEWARE!! DO NOT buy the Freestyle. First, the brakes have to be replaced every 6 months, the throttle has been replaced 2X and I'm still having problems, not to mention the transmission. I will buy a Nissan, Toyota, Honda, or anything besides an American made car ever again.

RECALL all vehicles.

$6000 transmission
By car_vent

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought the car used from the person who drove it off the lot new. It had been maintained exceptionally well. Started lunging in reverse about 5 months after we got it. A few weeks later I got in the car and it was making a horrid sound, felt like I was trying to drive in first and it was dragging. First part needed isn't available anymore. Mechanic - rightfully so - doesn't want to buy a used or reconditioned transmission as it seems to be such a chronic issue with these cars - so Ford and their service department will be getting $6000 to replace the bloody thing. That's more than half what we owe on the car. I'm absolutely sick about it. I have never had such a money pit.

We loved that it would accommodate our large family without being such a gas guzzler. It has done none of us any good sitting at the Ford garage for the last 2 weeks, torn down, while they graciously try to find a way to save us a little money.

Well they don't make them anymore, so they beat me to the punchline there.

DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE!!!
By cmel1985

2006 Ford Freestyle SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I got my freestyle about 2 1/2 years ago the first 8 months went well then we started seeing some problems first it was some kind of ignition sensor we replaced that 3 times then the fuel rail pressure sensor went out that was a $100 dealer only part then 1week later the fuel pump went out we replaced that $400 now one month later we are haveing the same problem with the fuel rail sensor and the car is jerking like the tranny may be having some problems which after seeing this site is commen in this vehicle I tried to trade it in today still owe to much on it basicaly (FORD means Found On Road Dead) never will I ever own a Ford again I was stupid to do it this time..

nothing even the CD player went out

recall then fix on the tranny's and the Fuel sensors.