2006 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
Transmission
By Daddio3 on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This WAS a great family car. Everyone loved taking trips in it either down the road or across the state. The interior isn't the most fashionable, but it's comfortable and easy to clean. That was until the "bulletproof" CVT went out. No problems at all up until this point, but now one MAJOR problem offsets everything else that didn't go wrong. What's worse, everyone I've spoken to who either owns or fixes these has had the SAME PROBLEM! Shouldn't America's only real car company step up and do the right thing?!? Where's the recall?

Bad Trans! Beware
By Beware Bad Trans!! on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car thinking I would pay it off and be able to keep it a few after that! WRONG! I was just told at 62,000 miles the transmission is bad and will cost $3,000.00. Dealer and customer care are willing to do nothing but waste my time. I still have a year of payments and am just hoping no more repairs. I am extremely disappointed with Ford and will never buy from them again!

Don't buy!
By Don't Buy! on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned this car for 4 years and had planned to pay it off and keep it. I just found out the transmission is bad and needs to be replaced for $4500.00. Ford is taking no responsibility and is unwilling to admit that it has a problem with transmissions. I plan on ditching this car as soon as I can. I hear there are more repairs down the road. Do not buy until ford fixes its transmission problems once and for all!

Ford ruined their reputation on this one!
By tommy on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I had car Certified, 3 mos. b/b warranty, 100,000 engine, tranny warranty. Bought every available warranty. Relative is mechanic at our local dealership. At 51,000 miles throttle body malfunctioned cost $800.00 to replace. Not under warranty. In April 2009 during routine maintenance oil leak in AC Compressor was detected, must be replaced for a cost of 1,200. Ford keeps the throttle body in stock, 2 week backlog on air compressor, should tell you something. Says tranny is a problem for this car too. Disabled, cannot afford these costly repairs. Where is the accountability Ford? Don't buy this car unless you can afford the repairs! If you get a good one count your blessings!

Bad transmission
By Mike Bridges on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Don't buy ford freestyle. The transmission will go out. Our transmission went out and it is going to cost 3,000 to 5,000 dollars to fix.

No problems
By bill on 09/02/10 12:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Have had the vehicle almost 5 years. During that time it has been trouble free, other than brake and battery replacement. Based on my driving experience I would buy another Ford product.

Throttle Body Issues at 41,000 miles
By lrm on 08/16/10 18:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

ALERT ALERT-Do not buy a Ford Freestyle! FORD; you need to recall this car to replace the throttle body in all models at FORD's expense. A $900 repair on a car this young and with such low milage is an engineering problem, not a normal repair. To make matters worse, I brought the car in while still under warranty with the same problem. Service charged me $148.00 to run the diagnostic test on the computer and said it needed a tweak. I now know why. FORD didn't want to pay for a new throttle body. After completing my research on this problem, I found dozens of others with same the problem. Shame on you FORD. Fixed Or Repaired Daily.

Worse Car I have Ever Driven
By sharris2 on 06/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Ford Freestyle was bought for safety as I do a lot of Highway driving. Since last October car was in for problems 6 times, electrical system failed, rear brakes completely shot, last week fuel pressure hose went, car was a death trap, gas spewing out of the bottom. Roadside assistance which we paid extra for wouldn't take it with fuel leak. Dealership was terrible with what they wanted to give us back on this car. I would never again in my life buy a Ford car of any description

Been very good
By Eric on 05/12/10 12:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We've had one problem, the throttle body, which has been somewhat common. Had to wait on the part because of the collapse of the auto industry. This has been the only issue we have had with the car. The problem only existed when we idled for long periods and when it was hot outside. It is very reliable and comfortable on trips. I have four kids and we all fit with comfort. It is about as safe as a car can get, and all-in-all a great purchase. Too bad no one else figured out how good these cars are. May not be beauties, but they are great for families that need space.

Versitle hauler
By Bob Gervais on 05/03/10 17:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought this car new. Traded an 2005 Caravan which was a huge disappointment. The Freestyle is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. It converts from a comfortable people hauler to cargo hauler in seconds. Very comfortable road car. Decent gas mileage. After 70K+ miles, only on second set of tires and they have pleanty of tread left. No problems whatever with this car. Comfort, ride and power is more than adequate. Climate control system controls are small and hard to see and adjust while underway. Living in Maine, the AWD is a necessity and works great. There is no stopping this vehicle in snow. CVT has worked perfectly with no issues. This is a great car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.