Used 2006 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Poor durability of door weather strip.
By Gallen

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Since buying my Freestyle in June 06, I am now taking it in to have the door weather stripping replaced on the passenger side for the second time. I bought this vehicle to accommodate my three kids. They get in and out of the passenger side daily. It has been two months since the first replacement of the weather stripping. Now we're back again. The stripping cracks and then pulls away from the frame. If this vehicle is supposed to be durable for kids, Ford needs to go back to the drawing board to address this issue.

Favorite Features

Good, not excellent, gas mileage. Spacious for kids. Smooth drive.

Suggested Improvements

Change the gasket material around the door. The current one stinks!

Flexible Comfort
By Patrick Colbeck

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My wife and I do not have any kids, but we do have a dog. The fold flat 2nd row bench works out great for us when traveling with our dog. We have also had no problems transporting up to seven friends and family in comfort. The leather seats heat up quickly during the Michigan winter and stay rather cool during the peak of summer. It has been a very enjoyable ownership experience.

Favorite Features

Flexibility of interior layout, field of vision offered by raised seating, safety canopy, and the memory seating.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the turning radius on the vehicle. Provide for GPRS or WI-FI based internet access.

First Time Owner of Freestyle
By Geof Bashioum

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

The more I drive my Freestyle the more I like it. Lots of room and smooth ride.

Favorite Features

The new transmission is great. I could tell the platform this car is built on was "beefy" and I like the compact 6 CD changer all built into the dash. The automatic dimming rearview mirror is nice too.

Suggested Improvements

If you could find a way to make the seats fold down into the floor.

Jeckyl and Hyde Car
By Neil Edmonds

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Family loves the car and its features but this car just isn't performing as I had hoped. Quality issues have been plentiful. Improper alignment from the factory caused both front tires to wear after 12k miles, speedometer head had to be replaced at 5k miles (took 5 days and had to have a rental), brake light sensor has been replaced twice and rear door trim continually came loose. Gas mileage is also far from Ford's claim. We get about 15MPG with mostly city driving. Our 2001 Highlander gets almost 20MPG city.

Favorite Features

Seats are some of the most comfortable I have ever had in a car - great for long trips. Styling is nice for a family hauler. Kids love the entertainment system. Plenty of room for my family of 5.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the QA at the factory. Rear tinted windows. Up the displacement of the V6 engine - a little underpowered when fully loaded.

Excellent Minivan/SUV replacement
By dzdncnfzd

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We have had our Freestyle for over a year now and we are still loving it. With the exception of the rear brakes wearing out prematurely we have had no issues. There seems to be a lot of negativity regarding the amount of power the engine has but I have not had any complaints in this regard. I'll be honest it's no sports car but then again this is a family car not a bachelor/mid life crisis mobile. The calls for a larger V8 engine in my opinion would kill one of this cars strongest points, its gas mileage. I challenge anyone to find a vehicle with as much interior space as this one that gets as good of gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Up to seven passenger seating with a good amount of storage behind the third row seats. Tons of cargo room with third and second row seats folded. Volvo safety at a Ford price Three row side curtain airbags The gas mileage has also been excellent averaging between 19-20MPG in city driving.

Suggested Improvements

My rear brakes needed to be replaced at 10K miles. Ford did do this under warranty and there is a TSB regarding this issue recommending a different brake pad type than original to correct it. Only time will tell if it does. My personal opinion is the rear disk brake pads are undersized/overworked