Used 2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Sure Winner!
By Born Free

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

It does not make sense to me why people have to buy a more expensive SUV like a Benz when they can get a Ford Freestyle. My 2006 Freestyle SEL has got everything I need to drive in comfort, safety and economy. This CUV is recommended by the Consumers Reports magazine and its reliability rating is way better than a those CUV with double the price. It has a very pleasing exterior design. Not too aggressive like a Murano, and not too dull like a Honda Pilot. It drives like a small car and the view is like a penthouse on the road. People complain about the dashboard reflection issue but not really a problem. A bit noisy like a tiger when climbing up the hill but I like it like it is.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Complete gadgetry and information center including a compass and mileage minder, 6 cd changer and good stereo music but no Ipod connection in my model.

Suggested Improvements

None

Great Family Car!
By Chris & Abby

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

For a family of four with two car seats this car is great. The car offers ample passenger and cargo space in all configuations. Additionally changing seating/cargo configurations is very quick and easy. It's a great cross between a station wagon and SUV without sacrificing comfort, road handling, or visibility. In addition it has great fuel economy for its cargo and passenger capacity. If you have a fairly big family and don't need to tow much weight this is the an excellent choice.

Favorite Features

Power moonroof, comfortable third row seating, AWD, stereo controls on wheel, plentiful cup holders and other storage. Overall capacity and versatility.

Suggested Improvements

Rear lift gate pull strap. Radio won't stay on without key in ignition like our Focus does. We like the door handles in our Focus better than the flat ones in the Frestyle.

Ford's Best Kept Secret
By Central Virgina

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I was at the dealership looking for an Expedition or Explorer when the salesman pointed out the Freestyle, and I am glad he did. I bought the last 2006 the dealer had, it was on the showroom floor. Mine has AWD, extra airbags, safety and security option, rear AC, 60/40 middle seat, individual climate controls up front. It is dark Pearl Blue with a pebble interior. The car has a low center of gravity and is fun to drive and handlles really well.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, styling, handling, CVT transmission is smooth, and the car is really versatile. I cannot understand why the Ford Motor Company does not promote or advertise this vehicle. They have a real winner here with this safe and fun to drive vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to dress up the outside with some chrome. A pull strap is needed on the real liftgate.

The Rear Brakes are Not Fit For Purpose
By allanedgar

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

The rear brakes are not fit for purpose. After only 30,000KM the rear brakes started grinding. The pads were finished and the disks were scored. What a joke! My last car, a Honda Accord needed front pads only after 100,000KM and rear pads after 160000KM. No rotors changed. Is Ford going to recall this car and fit rear brakes which are 'Fit For Purpose'

Favorite Features

Good seating and fuel economy except when it's cold. Handling is better than most SUVs on the highway

Suggested Improvements

Is Ford going to recall this car and fit rear brakes which are 'Fit For Purpose'? Washer fluid container is small. Heated mirrors and rear screen should turn on automatically when the temperature is below 2C. Brake pad wear sensors should be on all disks.

I fought my husband for this car
By Shogrl6

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I fought hard for this car - I do enjoy it but after 3 months I had to buy 4 new tires. I am on my third cracked windshield and they are not cheap! My biggest complaint is the interior - I cannot keep it clean. Any moisture stains the cloth! I'm going crazy with this.

Favorite Features

I love the looks of it, I love the whole center console. I can stuff things everywhere!

Suggested Improvements

Just the interior.