Used 2006 Ford Freestyle Limited Wagon Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

I love this car
By whitetigerlady

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I love this car - I purchased in in 2009 from a dealer with 50,000ish miles on it. There was one issue with the transmission 3 years ago that was repaired by the ford dealership for free because it was a recall issue, other than that, I have replaced the tires twice and the breaks once...just last month...My Gypsy as I call her - the GPS is very outdated LOL - now has 192000 miles and is still going pretty strong. I get my oil changed every 5K miles and use high mileage oil and that's it - I love driving a worry free vehicle. My only issue is they don't make them anymore and I have no idea what to replace her with when her time finally is up - I just hope that's not for another 200K :-)

Very disappointed
By carleysdad

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Up until five years ago I had not purchased an American car in more than 15 years.
For me, the quality of Honda's automobiles cannot be matched.
Having said that, 5 years ago I decided to give Ford a shot due to all of the press stating that "Ford was back" and the quality of their vehicles had improved.
Not!
I have had nothing but problems with my Freestyle since buying it new in 2006.
Crappy brakes, CVT transmission problems, throttle body problems, etc.
My first bad experience happended while on vacation more than 1,000 miles from home when it broke down while we were on the expressway.
And in my experiences, the Ford dealers service centers are the worst in the industry.

Nice interior design. V-6 engine provides plenty of power.

Too many to list! Do NOT purchase a Ford Freestyle.

No problems
By bill

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Have had the vehicle almost 5 years. During that time it has been trouble free, other than brake and battery replacement. Based on my driving experience I would buy another Ford product.

Memory seats

Worse Car I have Ever Driven
By sharris2

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Ford Freestyle was bought for safety as I do a lot of Highway driving. Since last October car was in for problems 6 times, electrical system failed, rear brakes completely shot, last week fuel pressure hose went, car was a death trap, gas spewing out of the bottom. Roadside assistance which we paid extra for wouldn't take it with fuel leak. Dealership was terrible with what they wanted to give us back on this car. I would never again in my life buy a Ford car of any description

Roomy

Nothing that a whole remake wouldn't fix

Transmission failure
By Rob

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My wife bought this car new to carry kids/dog/groceries and liked the third seat and the gas mileage. Didn't get the AWD to get better gas mileage, although we should have. At 31,000 miles, the transmission failed in heavy traffic, freeway driving in a driving rain. Suddenly in neutral and no forward power after a catastrophic weld failure in the CVT trasnmission. Thankfully under warranty but repairs would have been $3500. Now forced to trade the car or buy the extended warranty for $2000. Would not buy another one.

MPG, third seat, price. Drives OK but not as nice as Toyota Highlander

CVT transmission needs better quality control (we're not the only ones with this problem) fit and finish not great.