2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
Never again, Ford
By cbutschek on 05/13/13 10:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

While I have to admit that this car has made it over 200K miles, it hasn't been without a lot of work, stress, and burning money. I received this as a gift from my uncle mid-2010 and the car already had over 150K miles on the clock. Within the first 18 months, the engine block cracked and had to be replaced. Shortly after that the starter died and had to be replaced. Fast forward 6 months and the power steering line springs a leak because the Ford service techs bent the elbow joint. Fixed that and then the ignition switch starts to glitch. I just replaced a wheel hub, compressor, and the drive belt a couple days ago. So far, the only part that hasn't failed or started failing is the CVT.

Over-all Excellent Vehicle
By ownedmanycars on 12/18/12 08:14 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased it used with 80,000kms {50,000miles} on it. Drove it for about 2 years then was written off when someone smashed into it. It was hit when it had 155,000kms {97,500miles}. No major issues. Maintained regularly. Drove it across Canada & the US without any issues. Awesome fuel mileage too for a vehicle of it's size. Wish we would have bought another to be honest. Only issue we had was the fault of the garage; we had the fuel filter replaced and they didn't put one clip back on which cases the gas line to pop off at the filter. The garage covered the tow, put another new filter and get new clips and installed them; no issues otherwise.

Bad Trans! Beware
By Beware Bad Trans!! on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car thinking I would pay it off and be able to keep it a few after that! WRONG! I was just told at 62,000 miles the transmission is bad and will cost $3,000.00. Dealer and customer care are willing to do nothing but waste my time. I still have a year of payments and am just hoping no more repairs. I am extremely disappointed with Ford and will never buy from them again!

Ford ruined their reputation on this one!
By tommy on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I had car Certified, 3 mos. b/b warranty, 100,000 engine, tranny warranty. Bought every available warranty. Relative is mechanic at our local dealership. At 51,000 miles throttle body malfunctioned cost $800.00 to replace. Not under warranty. In April 2009 during routine maintenance oil leak in AC Compressor was detected, must be replaced for a cost of 1,200. Ford keeps the throttle body in stock, 2 week backlog on air compressor, should tell you something. Says tranny is a problem for this car too. Disabled, cannot afford these costly repairs. Where is the accountability Ford? Don't buy this car unless you can afford the repairs! If you get a good one count your blessings!

Throttle Body Issues at 41,000 miles
By lrm on 08/16/10 18:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

ALERT ALERT-Do not buy a Ford Freestyle! FORD; you need to recall this car to replace the throttle body in all models at FORD's expense. A $900 repair on a car this young and with such low milage is an engineering problem, not a normal repair. To make matters worse, I brought the car in while still under warranty with the same problem. Service charged me $148.00 to run the diagnostic test on the computer and said it needed a tweak. I now know why. FORD didn't want to pay for a new throttle body. After completing my research on this problem, I found dozens of others with same the problem. Shame on you FORD. Fixed Or Repaired Daily.

Been very good
By Eric on 05/12/10 12:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We've had one problem, the throttle body, which has been somewhat common. Had to wait on the part because of the collapse of the auto industry. This has been the only issue we have had with the car. The problem only existed when we idled for long periods and when it was hot outside. It is very reliable and comfortable on trips. I have four kids and we all fit with comfort. It is about as safe as a car can get, and all-in-all a great purchase. Too bad no one else figured out how good these cars are. May not be beauties, but they are great for families that need space.

Very disappoint with Ford Customer Care
By Hami on 12/23/09 11:24 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My husband and I purchased this vehicle two years ago (1 1/2 yrs old at the time) as a trade-in for a Ford Mustang. We were quite please with it until this year. We replaced all tires at 38,000 miles (Oct.), an alternator at 39,000 miles (Nov.) and I just broke down on the highway three days before Christmas, only to find that the transmission needs to be replaced! The car has 40,000 miles on it and of course it's past the 3yr./36,000 miles warranty by 5 months and 4,000 miles!!! Even the dealerships said it shouldn't go that soon, yet Ford seemed unwilling to help us. I registered a formal complaint and will be following up. No more Fords. My Corolla is 10 yrs old and no problems!

2006 Ford Freestyle
By dbldsdad on 11/29/09 06:45 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned my Freestyle for 4 years and have accumulated almost 100,000 miles. I drive 70 miles a day round trip to work averaging 25 miles per gallon, but up to 30 on the freeway. However, I am on my fourth set of tires. Putting SUV/truck tires on will make them last longer. This crossover is just too heavy for car tires. Because of my milage the trade-in value does not equal the actual value...

Love this car
By Love this car on 06/20/09 10:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Just hit 55,000 miles with no major problems. Love taking this car on weekend road trips or even drove cross country a couple of times. Second row seat gets stuck sometimes. Love how the third row seat flips up or down depending on what i am hauling. 3.0 engine is just good enough, but a little more would have been nice.

Transmission is out!
By Tammy on 05/27/09 07:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car to get away from the high gas prices of my Ford Explorer. The car has great room. It seats 7. Comfort level is ok. I do not think of this car as stylish. However, it does fine on gas for the size. I WON'T buy this car again because my TRANSMISSION is now having to be replaced. Absolutely ridiculous for a 3 yr old car with 57k miles. Since Ford had the 3yr/36,000 warranty, I am having to pay for the repairs myself. I will not buy another Ford car again.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.