Used 2006 Ford Freestyle SEL Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Never again, Ford
By cbutschek

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

While I have to admit that this car has made it over 200K miles, it hasn't been without a lot of work, stress, and burning money. I received this as a gift from my uncle mid-2010 and the car already had over 150K miles on the clock. Within the first 18 months, the engine block cracked and had to be replaced. Shortly after that the starter died and had to be replaced. Fast forward 6 months and the power steering line springs a leak because the Ford service techs bent the elbow joint. Fixed that and then the ignition switch starts to glitch. I just replaced a wheel hub, compressor, and the drive belt a couple days ago. So far, the only part that hasn't failed or started failing is the CVT.

Favorite Features

I like the fold away third row seating. I don't need it for day-to-day activity, but there are occasions when it comes in handy.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the mechanics. A single belt is a poor design choice when you place the belt tensioner too far forward for by-passing a seized compressor.

Over-all Excellent Vehicle
By ownedmanycars

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased it used with 80,000kms {50,000miles} on it. Drove it for about 2 years then was written off when someone smashed into it. It was hit when it had 155,000kms {97,500miles}. No major issues. Maintained regularly. Drove it across Canada & the US without any issues. Awesome fuel mileage too for a vehicle of it's size. Wish we would have bought another to be honest. Only issue we had was the fault of the garage; we had the fuel filter replaced and they didn't put one clip back on which cases the gas line to pop off at the filter. The garage covered the tow, put another new filter and get new clips and installed them; no issues otherwise.

Favorite Features

Comfort and versitility

Suggested Improvements

Bland to look at. not exactly a bad thing though. CVT made it feel slow but it wasn't; had enough power.

Bad Trans! Beware
By Beware Bad Trans!!

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car thinking I would pay it off and be able to keep it a few after that! WRONG! I was just told at 62,000 miles the transmission is bad and will cost $3,000.00. Dealer and customer care are willing to do nothing but waste my time. I still have a year of payments and am just hoping no more repairs. I am extremely disappointed with Ford and will never buy from them again!

Suggested Improvements

Take responsibility for faulty parts built into this car! Shame on Ford!

Ford ruined their reputation on this one!
By tommy

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I had car Certified, 3 mos. b/b warranty, 100,000 engine, tranny warranty. Bought every available warranty. Relative is mechanic at our local dealership. At 51,000 miles throttle body malfunctioned cost $800.00 to replace. Not under warranty. In April 2009 during routine maintenance oil leak in AC Compressor was detected, must be replaced for a cost of 1,200. Ford keeps the throttle body in stock, 2 week backlog on air compressor, should tell you something. Says tranny is a problem for this car too. Disabled, cannot afford these costly repairs. Where is the accountability Ford? Don't buy this car unless you can afford the repairs! If you get a good one count your blessings!

Favorite Features

Bought vehicle for 3rd row seats for grandchildren. Leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to recall vehicle for throttle body replacement before someone gets hurt or worse, killed. Very dangerous, car lunges and dies without notice.

Throttle Body Issues at 41,000 miles
By lrm

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

ALERT ALERT-Do not buy a Ford Freestyle! FORD; you need to recall this car to replace the throttle body in all models at FORD's expense. A $900 repair on a car this young and with such low milage is an engineering problem, not a normal repair. To make matters worse, I brought the car in while still under warranty with the same problem. Service charged me $148.00 to run the diagnostic test on the computer and said it needed a tweak. I now know why. FORD didn't want to pay for a new throttle body. After completing my research on this problem, I found dozens of others with same the problem. Shame on you FORD. Fixed Or Repaired Daily.

Favorite Features

Six seats, origional price to value and has a nice overall look.

Suggested Improvements

Engineering poor