Used 2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Good but average
By CJS

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

THE CLOTHE SEATS WILL STAIN EVEN IF YOU SPILL WATER ON THEM! This is the #1 complaint of this car. I read some reviews before I bought it in 2008. Literally tried all types of cleaner for car seats and NONE of them have taken the stains out. Even spilled water left a stain. Since owning it 7 years I've replaced 2 a/c compressors. Normal brake jobs and it will tell you when to change the oil which is a good thing for maintenance. The other problem is some of the plastic hardware (i.e. compartment to hold garage door opener) broke a couple of years ago and now will not stay shut. Some of the lettering on the radio has worn off. The continuous transmission took some getting used too but it will get up and go when you need it. It doesn't have enough "power supplies" for all the gadgets now days. It has been a good car but now that kids are getting older and bigger and two dogs, long trips are unbearable due to size of car.

Transmission is a time bomb
By tsliberty

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Our 2006 Freestlye had 65,000 miles on it. Just paid it off. Transmission died without any warning. Dead in the middle of the street. Called the dealer, they said that they don't make that transmission anymore so they would have to find a rebuilt one. and it will cost $7,000+! We thought that was a bit high, so we called around and every place told us the same or that they wouldn't even attempt it. Great. Talked to Ford and they offered to pay for $3,000 of the repair cost. Still a very expensive fix for a car with only 65,000 miles. They warrantied the transmission for another 50,000 miles. But we sold it within a few months since I was too paranoid to drive it very far from home.

seating, gas mileage.

transmission - is horrible on reliability

I love this car
By whitetigerlady

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I love this car - I purchased in in 2009 from a dealer with 50,000ish miles on it. There was one issue with the transmission 3 years ago that was repaired by the ford dealership for free because it was a recall issue, other than that, I have replaced the tires twice and the breaks once...just last month...My Gypsy as I call her - the GPS is very outdated LOL - now has 192000 miles and is still going pretty strong. I get my oil changed every 5K miles and use high mileage oil and that's it - I love driving a worry free vehicle. My only issue is they don't make them anymore and I have no idea what to replace her with when her time finally is up - I just hope that's not for another 200K :-)

Excellent Small SUV
By roy_in_ca

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Fun to drive. Holds six people very well. Had problem with throttle body that Ford repaired. Car has 90K miles and is still handling very well. No issues, as others have said, with brakes. I am happy with this car, and have owned it six years. Only problem is with ventilation system in that passengers in the rear seating area do not get cool in the summer heat (I live where it very often gets over 100 F.)

Never again, Ford
By cbutschek

2006 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

While I have to admit that this car has made it over 200K miles, it hasn't been without a lot of work, stress, and burning money. I received this as a gift from my uncle mid-2010 and the car already had over 150K miles on the clock. Within the first 18 months, the engine block cracked and had to be replaced. Shortly after that the starter died and had to be replaced. Fast forward 6 months and the power steering line springs a leak because the Ford service techs bent the elbow joint. Fixed that and then the ignition switch starts to glitch. I just replaced a wheel hub, compressor, and the drive belt a couple days ago. So far, the only part that hasn't failed or started failing is the CVT.

I like the fold away third row seating. I don't need it for day-to-day activity, but there are occasions when it comes in handy.

Fix the mechanics. A single belt is a poor design choice when you place the belt tensioner too far forward for by-passing a seized compressor.

• SUV