2006 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
Excellent Small SUV
By roy_in_ca on 12/19/13 07:53 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Fun to drive. Holds six people very well. Had problem with throttle body that Ford repaired. Car has 90K miles and is still handling very well. No issues, as others have said, with brakes. I am happy with this car, and have owned it six years. Only problem is with ventilation system in that passengers in the rear seating area do not get cool in the summer heat (I live where it very often gets over 100 F.)

Never again, Ford
By cbutschek on 05/13/13 10:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

While I have to admit that this car has made it over 200K miles, it hasn't been without a lot of work, stress, and burning money. I received this as a gift from my uncle mid-2010 and the car already had over 150K miles on the clock. Within the first 18 months, the engine block cracked and had to be replaced. Shortly after that the starter died and had to be replaced. Fast forward 6 months and the power steering line springs a leak because the Ford service techs bent the elbow joint. Fixed that and then the ignition switch starts to glitch. I just replaced a wheel hub, compressor, and the drive belt a couple days ago. So far, the only part that hasn't failed or started failing is the CVT.

Where's the recall
By mad_mamma on 02/12/13 14:38 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Nothing but trouble as soon as the warrantee expired...remove and replace, transmission, cooling system, issue after issue. I had no idea I purchased a disposable car! Un...%#%%%...believable.

Over-all Excellent Vehicle
By ownedmanycars on 12/18/12 08:14 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased it used with 80,000kms {50,000miles} on it. Drove it for about 2 years then was written off when someone smashed into it. It was hit when it had 155,000kms {97,500miles}. No major issues. Maintained regularly. Drove it across Canada & the US without any issues. Awesome fuel mileage too for a vehicle of it's size. Wish we would have bought another to be honest. Only issue we had was the fault of the garage; we had the fuel filter replaced and they didn't put one clip back on which cases the gas line to pop off at the filter. The garage covered the tow, put another new filter and get new clips and installed them; no issues otherwise.

Watch out
By mae52 on 11/19/12 05:36 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle SE 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought used 6 months ago a 2006 Ford Freestyle SE AWD with CVT. Power steering pump went I had it replaced. Two weeks later rack and pinion steering making noise, took it in to have it looked at and he said the following, the front sub frame on your car is completely rotted out and is unsafe to drive. The sub frame was replaced at a cost of $1000.00 plus labor (used sub frame). The rest of the frame is strong. The sub frame must have been rotted for years. This is a six year old car! All I can say congrats to the drunk or stoned UAW workers who put this car together. You must be happy, you must have had a good laugh. By the way, the front brakes needed replacing and a caliper was seized.

BAD EVERYTHING
By niecyx5 on 04/23/12 08:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is the worst vehicle FORD has ever made and BUYER BEWARE!! DO NOT buy the Freestyle. First, the brakes have to be replaced every 6 months, the throttle has been replaced 2X and I'm still having problems, not to mention the transmission. I will buy a Nissan, Toyota, Honda, or anything besides an American made car ever again.

$6000 transmission
By car_vent on 03/02/12 04:55 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought the car used from the person who drove it off the lot new. It had been maintained exceptionally well. Started lunging in reverse about 5 months after we got it. A few weeks later I got in the car and it was making a horrid sound, felt like I was trying to drive in first and it was dragging. First part needed isn't available anymore. Mechanic - rightfully so - doesn't want to buy a used or reconditioned transmission as it seems to be such a chronic issue with these cars - so Ford and their service department will be getting $6000 to replace the bloody thing. That's more than half what we owe on the car. I'm absolutely sick about it. I have never had such a money pit.

DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE!!!
By cmel1985 on 01/12/12 17:39 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestyle SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I got my freestyle about 2 1/2 years ago the first 8 months went well then we started seeing some problems first it was some kind of ignition sensor we replaced that 3 times then the fuel rail pressure sensor went out that was a $100 dealer only part then 1week later the fuel pump went out we replaced that $400 now one month later we are haveing the same problem with the fuel rail sensor and the car is jerking like the tranny may be having some problems which after seeing this site is commen in this vehicle I tried to trade it in today still owe to much on it basicaly (FORD means Found On Road Dead) never will I ever own a Ford again I was stupid to do it this time..

Very disappointed
By carleysdad on 08/02/11 08:32 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle Limited 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Up until five years ago I had not purchased an American car in more than 15 years. For me, the quality of Honda's automobiles cannot be matched. Having said that, 5 years ago I decided to give Ford a shot due to all of the press stating that "Ford was back" and the quality of their vehicles had improved. Not! I have had nothing but problems with my Freestyle since buying it new in 2006. Crappy brakes, CVT transmission problems, throttle body problems, etc. My first bad experience happended while on vacation more than 1,000 miles from home when it broke down while we were on the expressway. And in my experiences, the Ford dealers service centers are the worst in the industry.

Throttle problem?
By audreyh on 07/22/11 09:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our 2006 Freestyle SEL AWD new and have enjoyed driving the car. It gives a smooth, quiet ride. As another owner says, it turns from a passenger hauler to a cargo hauler in minutes. I do wish it got better gas mileage, but it is AWD.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.