2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
Happy Driver
By GUS on 04/04/07 12:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I've had this vehicle going on two years. I'm very pleased and glad I purchased it. I have made three long trips and they were comfortable and fun trips. Good mileage considering the room and passenger capabilities. No regrets having it.

Not at all happy
By H. Huber on 04/03/07 18:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Our Freestyle has been a bit of a disappointment. I've been a Ford guy for 30 years, but not when it comes to crossover SUV's. With 15mpg in town and 22 highway miles, the fuel economy stinks. The doors sound cheap when you close them and I hate the CVT. On the highway at 70mph the RPM's are way to high for decent fuel economy. And we have to have both rear disc rotor replaced at 10k miles because they wore out and couldn't be turned. Apparently, this is common on the Freestyle and Ford 500. I have 90k on the rotors of a Nissan and only had to turn them once.

Be careful with rear brakes
By Rick Martinez on 03/29/07 18:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I had to have the rear brakes replaced on this vehicle at 20,000 miles. I have also read on other forums where people are having to replace them over and over. Ford will not help with this because brakes are only covered for 12,000 miles. If you do not know, rear brakes should not fail at anywhere close to that mileage level. Original tires are also almost shot at 25,000 miles.

I'm trading it in for a Honda/Acura
By nothappy on 03/25/07 10:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I've owned this for less than two years and I'm negotiating a trade-in for an Acura MDX. This car is a great idea, but poorly designed/engineered. Some of my issues include: Seatbelts that constantly tangle (I've had it into the dealer numerous times), rear brakes that were worn out at 20k miles (dealers were notified about issues, but NOT consumers!), various electrical issues, and a dealer/manufacturer that doesn't stand behind their products. I'm tired of the dealers telling me that "it's a design issue that we're aware of, but Ford is not doing anything about it." Rather than fix the problem, they charge me to repair it!

Excellent Family Car
By Alex on 03/22/07 17:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

It is an excellent car to take my family and relatives to go out or even on a short trip when they are in town because of its capacity for 7 passengers plus luggage.

brakes
By michael chenu on 03/08/07 13:34 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

At 17,000 miles rear brake pads started to make grooves in rotors with brake wearing uneven. From what I'm told the problem is with the brake pads. Ford will not recognize the problem.

Freestyle - right for my family
By gayla k on 03/07/07 23:01 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have 2 children, and I also drive long distances for work. The Freestyle gets great gas mileage compared to other SUVs, and with the folding 3rd row seat, I have room for friends and additional family. It's a roomy, comfortable ride. The only uncertainty I still have is the new CVT. It's not a typical shift, so I thought something was wrong with the transmission. I took it in to be checked, and was told that's the way this new transmission is supposed to work.

Watch for Defects
By Not Satisfied on 02/23/07 08:37 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Ford came up with an awesome design but they don't have the reliability to support it. I loved my Freestyle initially but after struggling with a number of issues including the door locks (finally fixed under recall), my heated seat going out (no longer under warranty - they wanted $500 to fix it), transmission problems (surging that would not go away and Ford service could never find on the computer) and leaking front seals I finally traded it off for a Buick. I took a beating financially but the transmission was a real concern so I wanted to get rid of it before I had to do major repair work. Bottom line? Great car but I think I got one of the lemons. Not worth $30K!

Awesome Vehicle - Mediocre Marketing
By Jackie on 02/16/07 20:54 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

With over 43,000 miles, our Freestyle has been extremely reliable and well mannered. It can easily accommodate 6 adults with keep them all comfortable with room to spare! The seats are comfortable it has an excellent heating/AC system. The powerful factory six disc (cd & MP3s) quite simply, rocks! The seats are very comfortable on long trips and if you can keep it under 60mph you can even knock down 30mpg (24+mpg at 75mph). The Volvo chassis is VERY tight but the suspension is forgiving on rough roads. It handles curves with authority (no tip over warnings on the visors). Auto rags have criticized its performance, but the CVT affords an 8 second 0-60 with 200hp - OUTSTANDING!

I love it!
By Jennifer on 02/10/07 18:38 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I was looking for a small truck that would seat at least four. I found the Freestyle by accident, saw how many it seated, how the seats fold down so I can still transport bikes for our daily rides and that was it for me. Of course, my kids love the DVD player for long rides.