Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Most Helpful|
FORD FREESTYLE IS A PIECE OF JUNK
By trishaiam1

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased this car from a auction 6 months ago. The freestyle has a smooth ride but not kid friendly at all. Easy to get dirty. I've had transmission problems since. I took it to a transmission mechanic and he said he just replaced one 6 months earlier and the lowest transmission he found was 3k used, a new one is 6k. I've emailed Ford because I am driving a Ford and not a Lexus. If I could afford a transmission that cost 3 or 6k I would've bought a Lexus. I've emailed Ford and Dan responded that he's glad I purchased the freestyle, sorry for my problems and good luck. So they are not standing behind their junk....I'm stuck with a piece of JUNK. Please don't buy this car.

Favorite Features

NOTHING

Suggested Improvements

I suggest they recall the transmission or come out with a much more affordable one. I don't need a car that the parts are more than the car itself.

Bad Brakes and CVT Transmission
By tfry

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Problems with transmission fromday one, replaced rear brakes twice (check recall) and now need front brakes, transmission repair at 34,000 miles and at 77,000 need a new transmission $6,500. Acceleration problems from day one and they could never duplicate problem. Vehicle would stop abruptly while driving on highway or accelearate. Terrible on snow slides can't get in my drive with two inches of snow, two sets of tires already! Rear doors have never closed right. Gas tank bracket is on a recall, airconditioning has terrible smell they can't get rid of. most of these problems since new purchase! This vehicle is a lemon DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of braking sytem and CVT transmission

1,300 miles 5 people + Luggage= Review
By Iceman

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is my wife's car. I own a Fusion that I love dearly. We took a weekend trip to St. Louis for a funeral. Over 1,400 miles in one weekend with 5 people + luggage. I drive fast (around 90) and still got over 20 mpg for the trip. I could easily see 23-24 mpg fully loaded driving say 65 or 70. Not the fastest vehicle in acceleration but adequate for a family vehicle. Very stable in turns at expressway speeds. Change your tires which we just recently did from the original Continentals. New Goodyears are a huge improvement. This is a great family vehicle that is good on long trips. Ford hit a homerun again. These are cheap buys on the used market.

Favorite Features

Room, handling in curves. Seating position (higher than a car but not as high as a truck) makes entry and exit for tall people a snap. Gas mileage is very good for the space the vehicle offers.

Suggested Improvements

An optional engine upgrade to the 3.5 V-6 (this was done on the Taurus X for 2008). Satellite Radio standard with better sound system. Little more luggage space behind the 3rd row (I think this also was accomplished in the new Flex).

Freestyle..how about BAD Style
By Unhappy Ford Owner

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Reading the reviews is very enlightening. We bought the car new after having good experiences with Ford Explorers. We have had the same problems as most other people. Multiple brake jobs, rotors replaced, new tires, alignment issues, then there's the transmission. Nothing but problems. Dealer worked on the transmission twice now, first replaced a part, then had to install a completely new transmission. Well guess what transmission is out again, no warranty, no recognition by Ford of their clearly substandard product. Car is sitting in the driveway, useless. Turned off from Ford forever. Way to go Ford, short term gain, lifetime loss.

Suggested Improvements

Buy back all Freestyles, crush em up, spit em out, and make something useful out of them

Freestyle First Owner with 270,000 miles
By schopster

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my Limited AWD new in 2005 and have found the car to be very reliable. Just turned 270K miles as I drive a lot for my work. Gas mileage is consistent at 21 mpg now for mix of highway/town driving. I do alot of general maintenance myself. Things that have been replaced include all wheel bearings, front struts, some front suspension items, normal brakes/rotors/calipers once. I change oil at 5K with ford semi-synthetic and the engine doesnt use a drop of oil between oil changes. Drivers seat heater stopped working a while back. CVT had filter/fluid changes at 190K and as been rock solid. Once a year you should clean the butterfly in the throttle body- if not it can surge at idle.

Suggested Improvements

This car is very reliable, never lets me down, and I still would not hesitate to hop in it and drive cross country. The body has stayed good.. I live in NE with winter road salt and rarely wash it. There is a couple of spots of corrosion on the leading edge of the aluminum hood but otherwise in good shape for high mileage car. In my opinion, great family car, hauls a bunch (6 people with the rear seats opened up) good sound system with the DVD premium sound option. I have also pulled a 12 foot utility trailer, often heavily loaded, about 25K miles with the car. MPG suffers due to weight and wind drag- about 17mpg at highway speeds.