Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

1,300 miles 5 people + Luggage= Review
By Iceman

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is my wife's car. I own a Fusion that I love dearly. We took a weekend trip to St. Louis for a funeral. Over 1,400 miles in one weekend with 5 people + luggage. I drive fast (around 90) and still got over 20 mpg for the trip. I could easily see 23-24 mpg fully loaded driving say 65 or 70. Not the fastest vehicle in acceleration but adequate for a family vehicle. Very stable in turns at expressway speeds. Change your tires which we just recently did from the original Continentals. New Goodyears are a huge improvement. This is a great family vehicle that is good on long trips. Ford hit a homerun again. These are cheap buys on the used market.

Room, handling in curves. Seating position (higher than a car but not as high as a truck) makes entry and exit for tall people a snap. Gas mileage is very good for the space the vehicle offers.

An optional engine upgrade to the 3.5 V-6 (this was done on the Taurus X for 2008). Satellite Radio standard with better sound system. Little more luggage space behind the 3rd row (I think this also was accomplished in the new Flex).

Most Unreliable Car ever owned.
By NeverbuyFordAgain

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Drive the Car about 3000 miles per year, the vehicle has 18000 took it into the dealer because of a noise comming from the tranmision the same day the the engine light came up. After the dealer diagnosys, the car need new cylinder #5 new valves new head and a new Torque conveter for the tranmission about $5100.00 dollars later no word from Ford since the vehicle is out of warranty of course after the first 3 years called everyone at ford to try to get some type of help, no response I've had 5 fords in my life time, this is the last one I will ever owned, they lost me as a customer.

None - I hate this vehicle can wait till I have money buy another I am upside down on a trade or if I sell it.

The seriously need to do something about the transmission on this model year if you have not had any problem just wait my suggestion trade the car in while there is no problems.

Don't walk away from this car...RUN!
By HateMyFord

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Replaced brakes prematurely twice, tires before the first year of ownership was up, driver seat heater is broken, stereo goes out, car is now at dealership saying the CVT will need to be replaced. Buyers beware w/this car! Not worth it. Car is worth less than we currently owe. We are up-side-down with this car and it is no longer driveable. Ford has known about this problem but hasn't recalled or acknowledge it. It is not only a pain financially, it is also a safety issue for drivers and their families.

I actually now hate this car.

stop making cars unless you back up your product. Don't act as though there is nothing wrong with your CVT transmissions in your '05's.

Great, Safe Family car
By Freebie05

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

No problems after 40K miles. Two repairs in the three years we have owned it: oil pump gear for the AWD mechanism, electronic sensor for the transmission went out. This is one of the safest vehicles on the road. I would only say the CVT is a little noisy around town. Acceleration is OK. It is a versatile family car that seats 7 passengers comfortably.

I like the seat height. It is not has high as a truck, not as low as a car.

quieter transmission.

Excellent car!
By Ericonline

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought this vehical because we did not want the "stigma" that a mini-van had - mini-van's scream KID-MOBILE - but we wanted the 3rd row seating. It has turned out to have alot of great features I wasn't even looking for. For instance it gets great gas millage, is extreemly comportable to ride in and has great leg room. I've had passangers comment that the second row of seats is more comfortable and roomy that their Chevy Suburban! Very 'sure-footed' on the highway in varried road conditions and VERY nice AWD for those snow difts.

Gas milage Handling Room