2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
1st Ford I've been unhappy with
By Tam on 05/06/08 07:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is the 6th Ford we've owned. Loved the others, can't stand this one! There is a new rattle every day, the speakers are shot, and now the engine is making this horrendously loud whine that no one can figure out. They say it may be the alternator - not covered by the powertrain warranty, and costs upwards of $700 to replace! It does have lots of room, handles nicely, and gets decent gas mileage. But I dread getting in it every day because of all the rattling and whining. I would trade it in in a heartbeat except the resale value is pathetic. It's worth about a third of what I paid for it just 2 years ago. Ford, you really disappointed me with this one!

Needs a Heart Transplant
By Chemazda on 04/21/08 06:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This car is driven in Germany, so immediately it's at a major disadvantage. It's clearly designed for American roads, where I'm sure it's capable and probably very comfortable. However, on European roads it's lacking in acceleration, feels like a tank, doesn't fit into parking spots and feels generally out of its element. It can't keep up with cars that have half as much power on the autobahn, and makes a miserable racket trying. The engine drone under acceleration gets annoying fast. Ours is driven harder than probably any other Freestyle on the road, but it lets us know that it doesn't like it. Minor issues fixed under warranty include brake lights that stayed on and outside temp gauge.

A manly station wagon
By Mark on 02/21/08 07:43 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I am a 48 year old male driver who thinks an SUV is overkill. I want a versitile vehicle that can pull a utility trailer for trips to the home improvement store, hold a roof carrier for beach trips, and comfortably take the family of four on a trip and still have room for Grandma. I bought this vehicle out of frustration of not being able to find a mini-van without a DVD-entertainment system but still had stuff like ABS. It has grown on me. Even though it is the base model, this "car" has all the features I wanted, and after driving it for a couple of years, I can say I still like driving it. If I had to replace it right now, I'd probably buy another.

Not missin' the mini-van!
By ridgerider on 11/21/07 07:52 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I've run up 62,000 trouble free miles on our '05. This is a good "trip car", with flexible seating/cargo options and highway fuel economy in the mid to upper 20s. Comfortable and quiet. The Freestyle is a bit sluggish from a dead stop, but acceleration is decent after that. We've taken vacations and moved kids to college handily with this vehicle. The disappearing third row seats are easy to use and are not too bad to sit in. The roof rack is pretty stout, a solid platform for a bike rack or rooftop carrier.

Awesome ride
By shane on 11/19/07 10:11 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Me and my wife have gone through quite a few vehicles over the past year and none compare to our Freestyle. It is so fun to drive, very dependable, lots of storage space, hardly any complaints, but I do have two. I would like a little more room in the passenger seat up front, and our biggest problem is what to call the darn thing, when we are leaving we don't know what to tell the kids to go get into, the car, the suv, the van , talk about confussing. But other than that we love it it's the best driving and best made car, suv, van oh what ever we have ever had

Ford Freestyle
By Hank York on 11/15/07 05:40 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I live in the foothills outside Denver Colorado at an elavation of 8600 feet, commuting to Denver. This car is great no matter the driving conditions. I have had to drive thru snow that came up on the hood to get to my house. It gets good gas mileage, drives great and is very comfortable.

Freestyle Favs and Frustrations
By khkocher on 11/05/07 05:36 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I like my vehicle because it has enough room for a group, the mechanisms are easy to use, and I do like the extra cup holders. We did not like the upholsetry. It is so hard to clean. If you spill water, it leaves a wet ring. That has been my biggest frustration.

The Unknown Ford
By peterz_98 on 10/28/07 07:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We enjoy driving this vehicle. It is nicely laid out inside and attractive on the exterior [I really like how it looks}. It has more than enough power on the highway and is a pleasure to drive about town. The ride is smooth and steering tight. We care for an elderly parent and getting her in and out of the vehicle was a major concern. Entry into the vehicle is aided by a well positioned handhold and generous legroom. It is also a good height for her, not to high or to low. The seating is comfortable and the rear third row is accesable with minimal effort. We have had no issues mechaniclly with our Freestyle. The Freestyle is almost unspoken of by Ford. We feel like we got winner

Still seems new after 3 years
By Shron on 10/06/07 20:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have 3 teenage grandkids and we love to take family trips in this vehicle. It's comfortable, roomy, and looks sharp

Pretty Freestyle
By MsSmiley on 09/20/07 20:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

The Freestyle is a beautiful SUV; I purchased the Limited AWD, but it is not very durable. With just 38,000 everything started to break. I've had cars with over 100,000 miles and nothing broke. The car just was not designed well, especially not for families!