Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Bad Tranny
By ripped off

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought the second freestyle available at our local dealership. It was roomy and looked sharp.I enjoyed it with the exception of transmission problems. Took it to dealership and they replaced transmission which I paid for would not help.New tranny at 50k give me a break. Drove 1 mile and turned around it was exactly the same problem. They diagnosed the catalytic converter was the problem and replaced that still charging me for the misdiagnosed tranny. 115k new transmission again. Dumped it can't wait to be Ford Free once my F-150 is gone.

Favorite Features

Handling and room for 7

Suggested Improvements

new transmission set up

Family Dream
By Satisfied Owner

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My wife chose the Freestyle as a family car while I was overseas, the family (wife and three daughters)enjoyed it for six months. When I returned for vacation I had the opportunity to drive it for a week. I loved the style, handling,color, gas mileage for the times, in-city and highway, spaciousness and cargo capacity. Only regular maintenance and general upkeep required. We loaned it to my sister in- law (a Chevy fan)for 6 months, and now she is a convert. Friends unfamiliar with the vehicle also enjoyed the comfortable ride, leg space and features.

Favorite Features

Gear shifter location, split 2nd row seating and 3rd seat. both fold down maximizing cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

The dash could use improvement, bringing gauge panel forward and using a lighter (tan) background. If not, Change LED readouts on mileage readouts and radio from light blue to bold white.

Holy Freestyle
By Rolli

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought our '05 Freestyle used with 27K. Ran good for 2 weeks, then one of the sensors went bad. $210 later because the car was out of warranty. It's been a year and 27K w/o issues until now the transmission literally blew up while driving. No noise, no check lights, just BAM! It's going to be at least $3K-$6K to fix. From what I've been reading, this is not the first time. I could never figure out how there were so little miles on a 3 year old car. Well, i figure now it must have been in the shop most of those years.

Favorite Features

How the '05 Freestyle dazzles. It dazzles my brain how a tranny can literally blow up, without ever making some kind of indication before there was a problem.

Suggested Improvements

Don't put in junk tranny's that blow up before 50K!!! And then deny there is a problem.

A Bad Joke!
By Taken In

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought this car, new,from our local dealership. We have never been more unhappy with a car! Even though we always have,we won't buy another Ford product! Things gone wrong: tailgate latch, 2 radio/cd players, seat warmers, rear heater fan, 3 sets of tires-something wrong w/alignment, and now the throttle. Part is on emergency backorder along w/600+ others whose cars are sitting. Dealer solution: car must sit for at least 6 months while waiting for part. Was told all Ford parts are on backorder due to slowing economy and manufacturing problems. Dealership won't give us a loaner or any hope for a reasonable solution, despite our extended warranty. Considering contacting an attorney.

Favorite Features

Was purchased because it had roomy interior for passengers and enough space to carry my business supplies for my rental properties.

Suggested Improvements

Don't keep making cars when you are not going to make parts accessible, especially when the under warranty car is going to need those parts as soon as the car is driven off the lot!

Bad Brakes and CVT Transmission
By tfry

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Problems with transmission fromday one, replaced rear brakes twice (check recall) and now need front brakes, transmission repair at 34,000 miles and at 77,000 need a new transmission $6,500. Acceleration problems from day one and they could never duplicate problem. Vehicle would stop abruptly while driving on highway or accelearate. Terrible on snow slides can't get in my drive with two inches of snow, two sets of tires already! Rear doors have never closed right. Gas tank bracket is on a recall, airconditioning has terrible smell they can't get rid of. most of these problems since new purchase! This vehicle is a lemon DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of braking sytem and CVT transmission