2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
Love My Underrated Freestyle
By CSForest on 12/08/08 22:36 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Loved my '95 Explorer & was looking for another SUV or Crossover. Just couldn't see myself in a mini-van. Was concerned at 1st about CVT & 1st yr model (I'd had a 1st yr model Chevy lemon years ago). MPG is really good (21 city / 28 highway). Absolutely love this car! Wish Ford had advertised & sold more! The 3rd row seating w/rear storage behind is wonderful. Works like a trunk when hauling small loads of groceries home; or can fold seats flat for the larger monthly Costco runs! I plan to hold onto this one for a long time to come.

Underrated
By Happy Freestyle owne on 11/17/08 18:33 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Had doubts about first year of new vehicle. Issues in reseach were power and brakes. I've found power is more than adequate for 2 people in vehicle with luggage. Brakes were replaced (pads) at 30k. Gas mileage is as advertised 24 mpg highway. Miss no satellite radio. The storage space is more than adequate. Ford needed to push this vehicle more, would consider the new Taurus X version at trade in time.

Great Buy
By Richard Awad on 10/19/08 21:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Yes, acceleration has some noise, and the road bumps aren't absorbed as nicely as my Explorer, but I just took two long trips, over 1,000mi combined, set the cruise on 57 and get 31.6 mpg. Car is well maintained, clean filters, oil, etc. New Michelins as the Pirellis were loud and awful. I know that I'm not driving a Lexus, so some things are to be expected, but 31.6 makes me accept a few flaws. Near 20 city (never accelerate over 2000 rpm, don't rush to the next red light, etc) and mid 20's overall. Plenty of cargo space, handles very well on tight turns, no sway, holds the road well, has good acceleration, a bit weak when you ask it for more on the highway. A real nice car that's underrated.

2005 Ford Freestyle AWD
By DWin on 10/07/08 01:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my Freestyle used in 2008 with 32k miles. The CVT is smooth but takes some getting used to. Low end torque is lacking but a wide-open throttle command at highway speed reveals the hidden upper-rpm power. The interior is average but adequate; but not the most comfortable ride for long hauls (400 miles or more). Reliability is another strong point.

Best family transportation
By Ed on 08/24/08 14:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought a 2005 Freestyle with 23,000 miles. Leather seats are real nice. I read some peoples issues with the CVT trans and the lack of power but I find the power fine loaded up with 6 pass and I average 28 to 29 mpg highway and 24 on country roads. With 4.00 a gal. milage would win over pwr.In Freestlys case it has both. Why Ford is going in 09 to a bigger motor and back to a 6 speed trans to lower milage to 15 to 20 mpg is a mistake. Plus all the seats including the pass seat fold flat to fit all kinds of material in it is a big plus. Family mover, material mover, nice looking, lots of room 29 mpg hwy their is nothing out their that offers so much. Buy a good used one now SEL or Limited

Great Family Car
By Brad Busque on 07/30/08 10:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We leased our Freestyle back in 2005 because the CVT worried me. It's now 3 years latter and time to buy or move on. After looking around at other makes, it has become apparent what a great car the Freestyle is. We always liked the car, and after shopping around for a replacement decided to buy out our lease. Even three years later there is no other vehicular the size of the Freestyle that can provide the gas mileage we are getting. With gas prices still around $4.00 a gallon we will be sticking with our 22MPG city , 27 MPG highway FWD Freestyle. The car has been rock solid, very dependable, and great for our trips to Home Depot. Per our mechanic the CVTs have been great.

Not all I hoped for
By Emwood on 07/17/08 08:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased this car for functionality, comfort and versatility. 3 yrs and 55K miles later, I have gone through 3 sets of tires, 4 alignment adjustments and 2 new sets of rear disc brakes. (front brakes are fine) Very happy with interior and amenities. Will always have a DVD system now as I loved this one. Ford was thinking of themselves when they built this one as you can only get wiper blades through Ford, and only Pirelli makes the necassary size tire. (not cheap!) Loved the flexibility of the 3rd row option and a great car for road trips. Would like for it to have lived up to the mpg. (average 19 and 22) Extremely disappointed with the resale value. Trading it for a used Lexus SUV.

Something new
By chris pierce on 07/16/08 14:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Was uncertain about the Freestyle after doing research. Issues were CVT and 1st yr. of new model. Performance is suitable--good passing little slow on take off. High points are huge carrying behind front seat. Good interior design. Design interior materials could be higher in the limited model. Also heated mirrors would help in Maine winter. Mpg is exactly as advertised 24 mpg. Highway which is 95% of driving in rural northern Maine.

Finally got rid of it!
By MovedON on 05/29/08 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Start with the positive - it never broke down, ever. We loved the space allotment and flexibility inside and some of the small touches (keypad entry, lots of storage even with the third row seat in use). But the materials inside were total junk. We had the cloth upholstry and even water left a nasty stain. They really could do better. Under the hood there was way too much electrical tape. Finally, the fuel economy wasn't near what was promised and over 3 years Ford never figured out how to improve it. Lots of highway noise, crappy, staticy radio.

Never buying a Ford again.
By kevin on 05/21/08 08:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

When I purchased this thing, I soon realized why Ford is in such a financial slump. People are getting wise and not buying Ford's anymore, I unfortunately was one of the few unwise and bought one. After only 15k, a new transmission was needed which Ford had the nerve to blame the failure on me. I had to take them to court the get it fixed under warranty! 5k after that the fuel pump went, leaving me and my family stranded on the side of the road during a trip (Ford refused to pay for the tow) Later my headlights would not turn on, only highbeams worked, which got me a ticket for driving with highbeams on. After 30k, I needed another new fuel pump, washer fluid pump, CD player stopped working.