Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

No problems here
By POC

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We've had a very good experience with our Freestyle. It replaced a Durango that we had lots of trouble with. The Freestyle is peppy for its size and handles well. The CVT is different and takes some getting used to. Traction control is sometimes not helpful, very glad that it can be turned off, with it off both front tires pull. Last week I drove home through 6" of unplowed snow without a problem. We had one problem with the Climate Control dash buttons not working, turned out to be a vacuum leak (known to happen). I bought the car for my wife to drive, as she didn't want a minivan. It is a good looking car too. Selling ours to get something 4x4.

DVD player, Traction control on/off, folding rear seats, interior cargo room, exterior styling

None come to mind.

Expensive, hard to get-Transmission
By Stephanie

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My transmission went out at 75,100 miles. Ford is the only supplier of that particular CVT transmission. No other company can get it. It's $5000.00

All Wheel Drive

Quality

Good car, made like a tank
By Philippe T.

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Didn't want a minivan but needed lots of space for the expanding family. The driving experience is superb, theres a real feeling of security white driving this car, its very stable. When you take a look around the car, you notice its made strong + lots of protective panels/rubber here and there. Performance is low, but who wants to race a 7 passenger car? Fuel economy is good on the hwy. Its has 70k miles with no major issues. A couple of repair on the suspension but previous owner drove a lot on unpaved roads, so I guess its normal. Generally love this car and recommend it. Saw a couple of internet complaits about tranny prob. I tow a 2000 pound popup tent and its holding up pretty strong.

Big strong parts, you can see the car is made to last. Starts at 1/4 turn at -40 degrees celcius with no problem. My 2007 Escape didn't want to wake up.

Transmission is sluggish in very cold temperatures and takes a few seconds to engage (At any temp.) Maybe the owners who have tranny problems didn't treat they're transmission well. I'm beleve CVT's don't react well if you go reverse and go drive while the car is still backing up...

CVT trouble
By CVT troubles

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Just when you think you have bought a reliable family vehicle. I noticed a ticking noise coming from under the hood after a long business trip. When I got back, I decided to have it looked at. I was not even thinking that it could be transmission trouble. Who thinks that at 71,000 miles that you would have transmission trouble? And when I looked to see what the manufacturers warranty was, only 3 years or 36,000 miles???!!! Oh my goodness! You think Ford didn't know that would be a problem? The transmission specialist told me a brand new tranny would cost about $7,000!! I almost choked! What a shame. Please read this and take something from it!

Nice looking, handles well.

Please fix the transmission problems. No one should have to worry about transmission trouble at 71,000 miles!

Read before you buy
By Dimattei5

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned a 2005 Ford Fresstyle since last year and now it has been in the shop for a Throttle body issues. The car revs up and shuts down. This part is on Backorder and will not be available until Jan 2010. I have been withour my car for 70 days now. Ford is not helpful an supporting the customer. No one will call me back. BUYER BEWARE....