Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

No More Ford's For Me
By Shirley Howard

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my Freestyle when they first hit the showroom, I had been watching them when they first started showing them on their website. I really did like this SUV, It just rolled over to 100,000 miles a week ago. I was planning on driving this for a long time. Then the transmission started messing up and would not change out of low, the tech was going crazy. The dealership informed us it needed a new transmission at the tune of $5910 out the door. That's about what the thing is worth. I have bought my last Ford and I've had several. I would not advise anyone to buy a Ford because they are nothing but junk and they won't stand behind them. Now I know why they only made them for 3 years.

Favorite Features

Look, handling, comfort, plenty of room

Suggested Improvements

Should have put a transmission in them that would have lasted.

Freestyle..how about BAD Style
By Unhappy Ford Owner

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Reading the reviews is very enlightening. We bought the car new after having good experiences with Ford Explorers. We have had the same problems as most other people. Multiple brake jobs, rotors replaced, new tires, alignment issues, then there's the transmission. Nothing but problems. Dealer worked on the transmission twice now, first replaced a part, then had to install a completely new transmission. Well guess what transmission is out again, no warranty, no recognition by Ford of their clearly substandard product. Car is sitting in the driveway, useless. Turned off from Ford forever. Way to go Ford, short term gain, lifetime loss.

Suggested Improvements

Buy back all Freestyles, crush em up, spit em out, and make something useful out of them

Freestyle First Owner with 270,000 miles
By schopster

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my Limited AWD new in 2005 and have found the car to be very reliable. Just turned 270K miles as I drive a lot for my work. Gas mileage is consistent at 21 mpg now for mix of highway/town driving. I do alot of general maintenance myself. Things that have been replaced include all wheel bearings, front struts, some front suspension items, normal brakes/rotors/calipers once. I change oil at 5K with ford semi-synthetic and the engine doesnt use a drop of oil between oil changes. Drivers seat heater stopped working a while back. CVT had filter/fluid changes at 190K and as been rock solid. Once a year you should clean the butterfly in the throttle body- if not it can surge at idle.

Suggested Improvements

This car is very reliable, never lets me down, and I still would not hesitate to hop in it and drive cross country. The body has stayed good.. I live in NE with winter road salt and rarely wash it. There is a couple of spots of corrosion on the leading edge of the aluminum hood but otherwise in good shape for high mileage car. In my opinion, great family car, hauls a bunch (6 people with the rear seats opened up) good sound system with the DVD premium sound option. I have also pulled a 12 foot utility trailer, often heavily loaded, about 25K miles with the car. MPG suffers due to weight and wind drag- about 17mpg at highway speeds.

FORD FREESTYLE IS A PIECE OF JUNK
By trishaiam1

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased this car from a auction 6 months ago. The freestyle has a smooth ride but not kid friendly at all. Easy to get dirty. I've had transmission problems since. I took it to a transmission mechanic and he said he just replaced one 6 months earlier and the lowest transmission he found was 3k used, a new one is 6k. I've emailed Ford because I am driving a Ford and not a Lexus. If I could afford a transmission that cost 3 or 6k I would've bought a Lexus. I've emailed Ford and Dan responded that he's glad I purchased the freestyle, sorry for my problems and good luck. So they are not standing behind their junk....I'm stuck with a piece of JUNK. Please don't buy this car.

Favorite Features

NOTHING

Suggested Improvements

I suggest they recall the transmission or come out with a much more affordable one. I don't need a car that the parts are more than the car itself.

CVT stands for Crappy Vehicle Transmission
By gcolemanjr

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Please beware when buying a 2005-07 used Freestyle...learn from our mistake. Bought the vehicle used with 38,000 miles on it. Maintained the vehicle very well and then suddenly out of nowhere, weird noise from the engine during idle in Park or Neutral. two weeks later super loud noise from engine compartment, similar to a chain being dragged across a hollow wooden chest. two weeks after that tranny completely gone. $5900-$7000 to fix or install new one. Still owe just under $7k on the car. Mileage is only 116k. unacceptable and we're walking away from it. vehicle is sitting in the garage next to sons electric power wheels Ford truck that ironically still runs after 3 years...