Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL
By Greg

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Replaced brakes after 34,000 miles, and had the intermittent cluster display circuit board replaced at a whopping $980.00 I've always bought Ford vehicles in the past, but this is the last time I buy anything from Ford. I don't know how Ford managed to stay away from the bailout, because their vehicles are total garbage, except for their line of Trucks.

Favorite Features

Driving at 2500 rpm - I've managed to get around 27-30 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

I know this is a discontinued model, but any future designs that are concurrent with this model should be aware that the car makes a loud helicopter effect when driving with the windows down, and the radio is garbage

Great Car
By Joel H.

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Only had this rig for 5 months now, but have enjoyed owning it this far. It has 100,00 miles on it. I am a service tech, at the dealership where it was sold new, So I have presonally done alot of the service work on it. The CVT is original and has no problems so far. Thinking back I can only remember 3 CVT's with problems at our dealership. I worked on one of them. They are pretty simple and compared to other vehicles, I think the failure rate is probabally average. I am planning to tow a 14' fiberglass boat this summer so we'll see how that goes. Removed the rear center console so our 4 year old can get through to the third row.

Favorite Features

Interior space.

Suggested Improvements

The folding second row is not handy when you have child seats attached to them. Removing the center console made the rear seat much more accessable

Liked the Freestyle
By Lobo

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We live in S. MD and bought the 05 Freestyle new while on a trip to WV; happened to pass a dealer in VA and just stopped in for a look. Traded an 01 Explorer Sport, and have really enjoyed the Freestyle. The handling, comfort, and space were very good; mileage averaged around 24 for 65k miles. CVT took a little getting used to, but really liked it in the mountains, and great in up to 10" of snow. No problems or repairs; just traded it in for a 2010 Lincoln MKX, wife's an SUV girl at heart. Interesting note, local dealer thought our Freestyle was so nice, it's in their showroom for sale, and they can only fit 3 vehicles in the showroom. Freestyle's don't stay on the lot long around here.

Favorite Features

Handling, traction, audio system outstanding, wife liked the heated seats, comfort, versatility,

Suggested Improvements

Shoulda had more power, but it made the best of what it had.

RIP Freestyle, you served us well.
By Libbygu

2005 Ford Freestyle SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I LOVED my Freestyle. Ok, we had the issue with the rear brakes in the beginning, going through a set a year which our fabulous dealer replaced, FREE, twice, and then I had my Firestone guy do it right the third time and they have been fine ever since. No other issues. Drove us fully loaded from Seattle to Texas with the AC full blast the summer before last - 24 MPG! Sadly, last weekend, she performed her final duty, crumpling and absorbing the force as my 17 YO son crashed her. TOTALED. Interior of the car looks like NOTHING HAPPENED. Thank you Freestyle, sniff. You'll be missed. Gone, but not forgotten.

Favorite Features

SAFETY. Gas mileage for its size. Flexible seating.

Suggested Improvements

Can you make the power steering not sound like a plane taking off?

Need New Transmission
By Abby

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Like others, I also need a new transmission at 88K miles. I have done all the tuneups, oil changes, filters, etc on this vehicle since I purchased it new in 2005. Transmission went out and so did the fuel and water pumps all at the same time. Costs more to repair than the car is worth, and I'm still making payments. Wish Ford would make concessions for these vehicles and help with repair expenses.

Favorite Features

Handles well, never a problem with the FWD in the snow or ice, good car for hauling family and their gear.

Suggested Improvements

Heated mirrors, mp3 capability, and, of course, a better transmission!