2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
1,300 miles 5 people + Luggage= Review
By Iceman on 06/02/09 06:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is my wife's car. I own a Fusion that I love dearly. We took a weekend trip to St. Louis for a funeral. Over 1,400 miles in one weekend with 5 people + luggage. I drive fast (around 90) and still got over 20 mpg for the trip. I could easily see 23-24 mpg fully loaded driving say 65 or 70. Not the fastest vehicle in acceleration but adequate for a family vehicle. Very stable in turns at expressway speeds. Change your tires which we just recently did from the original Continentals. New Goodyears are a huge improvement. This is a great family vehicle that is good on long trips. Ford hit a homerun again. These are cheap buys on the used market.

Most Unreliable Car ever owned.
By NeverbuyFordAgain on 05/31/09 21:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Drive the Car about 3000 miles per year, the vehicle has 18000 took it into the dealer because of a noise comming from the tranmision the same day the the engine light came up. After the dealer diagnosys, the car need new cylinder #5 new valves new head and a new Torque conveter for the tranmission about $5100.00 dollars later no word from Ford since the vehicle is out of warranty of course after the first 3 years called everyone at ford to try to get some type of help, no response I've had 5 fords in my life time, this is the last one I will ever owned, they lost me as a customer.

Don't walk away from this car...RUN!
By HateMyFord on 05/15/09 20:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Replaced brakes prematurely twice, tires before the first year of ownership was up, driver seat heater is broken, stereo goes out, car is now at dealership saying the CVT will need to be replaced. Buyers beware w/this car! Not worth it. Car is worth less than we currently owe. We are up-side-down with this car and it is no longer driveable. Ford has known about this problem but hasn't recalled or acknowledge it. It is not only a pain financially, it is also a safety issue for drivers and their families.

Great, Safe Family car
By Freebie05 on 04/28/09 21:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

No problems after 40K miles. Two repairs in the three years we have owned it: oil pump gear for the AWD mechanism, electronic sensor for the transmission went out. This is one of the safest vehicles on the road. I would only say the CVT is a little noisy around town. Acceleration is OK. It is a versatile family car that seats 7 passengers comfortably.

Excellent car!
By Ericonline on 03/16/09 19:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought this vehical because we did not want the "stigma" that a mini-van had - mini-van's scream KID-MOBILE - but we wanted the 3rd row seating. It has turned out to have alot of great features I wasn't even looking for. For instance it gets great gas millage, is extreemly comportable to ride in and has great leg room. I've had passangers comment that the second row of seats is more comfortable and roomy that their Chevy Suburban! Very 'sure-footed' on the highway in varried road conditions and VERY nice AWD for those snow difts.

freestlye
By j dolby on 03/13/09 15:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

bought new have had nothing but trouble with and the dealer did nothing for us brakes went bad at just over 10000 miles dealer said nothing they can do. did the job my self after going on the internet to find rotors that were 35.00 cheaper then the dealers and have lasted for along time.funny part about this when i talked with the dealer he told me i didn't know what i was talking about.but yet i work for the plant that builds the axle and knew first hand what was wrong.

Sensible 7-Passenger Solution
By Guillermo on 02/26/09 18:08 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My wife and I kept an eye out for a Freestyle for quite some time and finally found a great deal. The engine is well laid out (designed by Porsche and acquired by Ford-Cosworth). The AWD is taken from Volvos. The continuously-variable transmission (CVT) works remarkably well. Safety features are many, including ABS, traction control, and frontal and side- curtain airbags. The flat-folding seats, including the front passenger's, are extremely convenient. So far it's been reliable. Mileage has varied from 13-17 in the city to 24-26 on the highway while carrying five passengers. We can't wait for the summer!

Love the flexibility
By Happy pappy on 02/06/09 13:14 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought in Dec 2007. It had only 17000 miles and we have put about 13000 miles on it since then. Have had no problems, other than tire wear. We really like the flexibility and usefulness of the vehicle. Most people don't know what it is, especially if we say Freestyle. But anyone who has ridden with us compliments it. MPG little less than what it states, 18/22. We could do without AWD if it gets us better mpg. Inside materials feel cheap, but haven't broken. Love the "command seating" and heated seats. Great for families because of flexibility to haul people and gear. DVD player wonderful for toddler, but blocks rear view. Will keep for long time, but like the looks of the Flex.

2005 Freestyle DOA
By brian on 01/11/09 04:36 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We purchased a 2005 Freestyle new. It is presently broken down at a gas station in CO. My wife barely made it off the road. With less than 50000 miles on it we have had the rear brakes replaced, a throttle body replaced, numerous problems with the rear passenger door seal, gas cap sensor problems. Good luck to anyone who purchases a Ford Freestyle.

Better Than I Expected
By Karl on 12/20/08 14:12 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Have owned this car from day one and has proved to be a very functional, practical vehicle. It also has a nice smooth ride and most surprisngly very reliable. Other than normal oil & filter changes, the only thing I've had to replace was the rear brake pads at 25k miles which Ford covered anyway. Just replaced the original Continental ContiTact tires with General Altimax tires which seem to fit well with this car. So overall, no complaints and hope to keep for another 5 years.