Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

It can't be a wagon!
By Lewis

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

5 months later and we're still impressed with our new Freestyle. It's roomy, comfortable and has all the features we need without all the ones that we didn't. The 2005 Freestyle is everything your ever wanted in a crossover and less. All the basics have been covered, without forcing an endless list of features we didn't need or want. Safety first, then utility and looks; this one has it all.

Command seating and plenty of room for 7. An AWD system that doesn't need my input to work and keep my family safe.

An indicator to let you know when the AWD system is in use. Just a little more horsepower, but not to the point of losing fuel economy.

FORD GOT IT RIGHT
By Team Young

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We trade SUV's every year; have had Yukons, Expeditions, Tahoe & Toyota's. Thought with rising gas prices and one less family member (son at college) we would try a cross over type. Looked at all of them, Chrysler, Subaru, Acura & Nissan. The Freestyle is the best overall bang for the buck. We have already put on 19K and it has been excellent. The Limited is loaded and it is very comfortable to drive on long trips. Small lack in power is not that big of deal. The CVT tranny is great and the room for the 2+2 in the back to row's is great. Good head room in all seats. Ford got it right this time.

Heated seats, great stereo. With the 4 captain chairs on the Limited there is a lot of room.

A little more wood trim on the interior for the Limited and have it so when you turn the key off all of the doors unlock, not just the front seats. Minor stuff though.

Best Bang for the Buck
By Danny

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I never thought I would buy a new car, but with zero percent financing and Ford incentives, I had no choice. The car is fantastic. I recently went on a 700 mile (11.5 hour) trip to North Carolina and I couldn't be more pleased. The versatility was incredible. I traveled with my wife and dog (full lab); (2 suit cases, 3 carry-on size bags, a back pack, dog kennel, cooler, etc.) and the dog had the entire back set to herself. We met two other couples there and went on a day journey and the three rows of seating couldn't have been better. The guy who sat in the back was 6' and said he was plenty comfortable. We drove with two stops each way and I was not the least bet cramped. 22+mpg and excellent ride.

-DVD entertainment system -reclining second row seats -50/50 folding seats -front passenger seat folds down (acted as a recliner chair) while watching movies when drowsy dog was restless -STORAGE -versatility.

Cross bars for luggage rack. Reclining third row. Cooler in the glove box (Passat joke).

Real World 1yr Review
By leeman

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I never liked the straight 9s and 10s in most reviews, as no car is perfect or even near perfect. This is a real world 1 year of ownership review. This vehicle should make most minivan owners extremely happy with its space, performance & lack of stigma. The Freestyle should also make SUV drivers that don't use their SUVs as off road vehicles happy since performance is better and in most cases there is more space. This vehicle has been fantastic in its first year with no hint of my experience souring. I have traveled with 2 adults, 3 kids, 2 dogs for a 2 week vacation. Granted I had to use a cargo bag as the kids are still small & require more stuff. Drove great & fuel economy was an A+.

CVT, classy styling, DVD, great 3rd row design, reversing sensor, storage and more storage.

Door lock at liftgate and storage for 3rd row occupants. (Honestly cannot think of another, highly recommend).

Mostly Happy Customer
By cabriojazz

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I needed 7 passenger seating and found that the seating in the Freestyle was much better than the Freestar. However, it is harder for my little ones 2 & 4 to climb out from the 2nd row seats. Exit from 3rd row is easier for them. The car is great! CVT drives very nice. Handles great. Fuel economy is 6 mpg better than Freestar which at $2 and 18k miles a year the difference is $400 which is one payment. Have not yet experienced the snow but got the FWD instead on AWD. SE was good bargain compared to SEL which costs $3k more and all you get is the message center.

1) Three people sit in 2nd row instead of 3rd row as in Freestar. 2) Fuel economy. 3) Very roomy in 2nd & 3rd row. Limited storage for driver/passenger. 4) Front passenger seatback folds to fit 8' long building material with liftgate closed. 5) Base model is very nicely equipped. 6) Keypad locks.

1) 60% 2nd row bench seat does not fold without jamming. Awaiting parts for 2nd repair attempt. 2) Front passenger seat belt retractor locks frequently making you unbuckle to lean forward. 3) Cruise buttons hard to operate, resume button rocks to wrong side. 4) Need liftgate glass to open.