Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Most Helpful|
Better Than I Expected
By Karl

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Have owned this car from day one and has proved to be a very functional, practical vehicle. It also has a nice smooth ride and most surprisngly very reliable. Other than normal oil & filter changes, the only thing I've had to replace was the rear brake pads at 25k miles which Ford covered anyway. Just replaced the original Continental ContiTact tires with General Altimax tires which seem to fit well with this car. So overall, no complaints and hope to keep for another 5 years.

Favorite Features

Space, ride, fuel economy, outside temperature display.

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel - too thin and cover flimsy

Lots to like about this crossover
By maria

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We've hauled just about everything in our Freestyle and never had any issues with power. Perhaps that's due to our driving styles, but generally we've found it to be more than adequate during highway merges, even with 7 adults in the car and all their stuff. Then again, we're not expecting to run the a/c full-tilt, have the car packed full, and have top speed immediately available.

Favorite Features

Ease of folding seats, seat comfort, stadium-style seating.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage would be appreciated, a more-refined front console, and standard front-rear zone a/c.

Nothing but problems
By Badexperience

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I Purchased my Freestyle on 17 November, and to date I've been able to drive for ~24 days! The rest of the time itís been either in for repairs or waiting for parts to be "pulled off the line". So far I've had the front wheel bearings replaced (@ 600 miles), transmission replaced (@ 900 miles), and the car still makes horrible grinding and/or clicking noises when cornering and breaking. Worst yet, when braking in turns this car occasionally pulls wildly to the right. Great job on styling, terrible job on reliability and ability to diagnose and fix problems. Not what I expected for $35K, Ford can keep my Freestyle. Hopefully I got one of a few lemons!

Lemon
By D. Anderson

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Trouble 35 days after purchase. Poor MPG, not as advertised, transmission leaked & completely went out, repaired, a/c unrepairable, vehicle surge (dangerous), front steering went out, could not turn left. Brakes recalled and replaced at 7500 miles, body not attached to the frame properly, computer malfunctions, wiper fell off, emblem fell off. 14 service calls in 1 year. Vehicle looks good, but has huge glare front windshield, dashboard red KLM cannot be read in daylight, dash board lights intermittent. In a tunnel lights goes out when they should light up. Always opposite of normal function. BBB Auto Line investigation. Would not advise anyone to purchase a Freestyle.

Favorite Features

Like the body style and size, choice of seat arrangements, easy access to rear door & loading.

Suggested Improvements

Fix dash lights, fix windshield glare. Vehicle needs major investigation.

Horrible car
By zorazane

2005 Ford Freestyle SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

After purchasing this car new, my father admitted shortly thereafter that it had been a mistake. When he passed away a few years ago, I inherited the car and have had problem after problem since, culminating in my transmission going completely out last week at 93K miles - thankfully I was in a safe place to get over to call a tow truck. Called the dealership - over $6000 to replace the trans. Suffice it to say I am not pouring more $ into it. Even the dealership admitted they have had multiple problems. Stuck riding the bus. Shame on Ford.