2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
Great Vehicle
By MFreedman on 02/06/05 12:20 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Pros:This is a wonderful vehicle. I came from a Ford Explorer and have more room than a vehicle that looks bigger. Great features like audible beep when backing up (the radio actually reduces volume) and a very smooth ride. I am completely satisfied with the pick-up and performance of the CVT transmission. Con: The automatic climate does not seem that responsive. When I lower the temp it still blows hot for a period of time. I need to bring it in. The CD player acts a bit crazy at times. Occasionally skips to next track befor song finishes and speeds up as if it senses a skip that isn't there.

The Real Freestyle
By ainslie eden on 02/04/05 21:30 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

After having read the reviews on the Freestyle, I'm wondering if we are driving the same car. In the first 6,000 km I have had the transmission fail, the tie rod end rubbing when I make a tight turn; something the dealer said is being looked into. So my review is don't buy one until all the bugs are out of this car.

Freestyle Is In Style!
By Ed on 02/04/05 11:11 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I was originally going to purchase a Pacifica, but after test driving the Freestyle, I knew I had to stick with Ford (I was purchasing a replacement for my Windstar). The drive is comfortable, the inside is roomy and you can fit adults in the 3rd row - no problem. Plus the seats fold down with ease. Power is more than sufficient, it could probably benefit from some more horsepower - but no complaints here.

from sports car to station wagon
By AustinMD on 02/03/05 10:35 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

With a third child in the last 4 years and a wife who manages my practice out of our home, it was clear we needed my car to be able to do some of the kid hauling. I looked for 9 months at all the options, including BMW, Lexus, Cadillac & Lincoln Mercury sedans, the Volvo XC90 (tied for my favorite with the Freestyle, but not worth the extra $20k), the BMW SUV, the Lexus SUVs, and we already owned a Ford Expedition. Many of these driven for 24 hours, and the Freestyle won out (despite my desire to avoid getting what comes eerily close to looking like my childhood Chevy station wagon). The AWD locks down on wet roads like glue, and has GREAT acceleration. It just needs better lumbar support.

Ford Freestyle
By Winkler on 02/01/05 10:52 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Excellent visibility, handling - braking in poor weather (rain, ice, snow). Dashboard is straight forward; all controls easy to operate without excessive movement. Fold down passenger seat allows carrying items as afforded by full size SUV.

Nicest car I ever owned!
By Chris J on 01/31/05 10:43 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Love it! Getting lots of looks and questions from people in parking lots, etc. Solid feel, lots of power, great comfort with all the nice "bells and whistles".

I love my Freestyle
By Romana Primus on 01/27/05 10:17 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I haven't really loved a vehicle for 2 decades! My Freestyle drives beautifully. The CVT transmission is great - you don't feel it shifting. We had two snow storms in the past 5 days, and my AWD enables me to drive effortlessly over the snow; I drove easily through my unplowed driveway yesterday, over 5-6 inches of snow. The seats fold down with a simple tug on a wide, clearly marked loop at the back of the seat. I can do it with one hand, while holding packages in the other. The 3rd row seats are slightly higher than the front seats, so people sitting there have good visibility. All that and the Volvo safety cage body! I also like the storage module on top of the dash

Freestyle Hits the Mark
By Kevin on 01/20/05 20:29 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Our kids are now as big as us! We needed a car (not a van) that would fit all of us and occasionally more. We traded in a large 4-Door Chevy pickup that had plenty of room, but the V-8 was gobbling up more than the kids and it REALLY rode like a truck (well, duh!). We bought the AWD Limited with everything on it. All the automotive reviews moan about how underpowered the Freestyle is, but I can tell you it has plenty of power, especially in the 50- 70 passing range, when you really need it. The CVT tranny is incredibly smooth and the AWD keeps you glued to the road. I don't know if any car can truly be all-purpose, but this comes close. For those who want more acceleration - Buy a Mustang GT

In "Style"
By CAB on 01/15/05 18:31 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This vehicle not only handles terrifically and looks phenomenal but the comfort of the ride is unmatched by any and all comfort sedans. The CVT makes the handling so smooth that you barely notice bumps on the road. A year ago I waited on purchasing any other vehicle to see what this Freestyle looked and drove like. Was WELL worth the wait!

great ride
By rrupp on 01/10/05 10:52 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have only had this car for two months, and compared to the 2001 Toyota Sienna that I traded in, it is so much more fun to drive and is much quieter and smoother riding than the Sienna. The gas mileage so far is around 21 city driving and 27 highway. The driver power seat adjusts many ways to give you very good visibility. The theater style seating allows the rear passengers a much clearer view, instead of looking at the back of someone's head. The CVT transmission works great. It is very efficient. I got used to it right away. You don't feel the gears changing at all, it is just super smooth. The rear seats flip and fold to create a very large flat cargo space in just a few seconds.