2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
Better than an SUV
By annette on 02/26/05 13:21 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I finally got one and fell in love. It handles really well in the snow and rain. When I drive long distances my back is no longer sore. The roominess is terrific. It holds my family perfectly and everyone thinks it is great. The windshield is huge - great view. The back storage comes in real handy. I would recommend this to anyone who does not want an SUV or minivan. My husband loves it top and he is an F-250 man so that says a lot for this vehicle.

Ford Freestyle
By HILLER FAMILY on 02/24/05 19:25 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

The milage has settled in at 22 mpg. I was hoping to get a little better, and may when we aren't running the heater. Very sharp family vehicle. If you want sporty but practical ride and have six family membe, this is a very nice choice.

Excellent commuter, the power is fine.
By Wayne on 02/23/05 07:21 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my Freestyle in November 2004. Since then I have driven it over 6,000 miles, mostly in Atlanta traffic. As a commuter the Freestyle has provided excellent comfort, power, and gas mileage. I keep a detailed log of my gas mileage and average over 20 mpg in an urban / suburban commute of 45 miles per day. The lowest mileage to date was 19.4 mpg on a really bad week, with a high of 25 mpg on a interstate trip to North Carolina. In my opinion the comments about the Freestyle being low on power are incorrect. The 3.0 and CVT do an excellent job keeping the car going and provide plenty of power for passing.

Safety, Power, and Smooth Ride, Awesome
By Stan B. on 02/18/05 21:47 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

To anyone considering this vehicle, do not believe the negative comments about power. I have just come back from a 500 mile round truip visit to the Inlaws and let me tell you my honest thoughts. This car is Incredible. It rides smooth, quiet and the POWER is very nice. I had to lay off the gas several times because the Freestyle had crept up to 85 mph without my even knowing it. My suggestion is get it with the DVD player if you have kids; it makes road trips heavenly! This car has so much for under $30,000, it is a steal. I had one road bike and 6 extra large duffle bags in the back and still had room. Car is very FUN to drive. Gas mileage is awesome, COMFORT & SAFETY make it worthwhile

A Great Value & Confident Decision
By Jim on 02/18/05 15:33 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased a few weeks ago after test driving just about every SUV out there. Our choice was a Limted AWD, Black on Black. We have received numerous compliments from friends and family. Other vehicle is a Acura MDX, and the Freestyle is equal in equipment (if not more) and ride. Average 17+mpg city. I am 6'3" and there is plenty of room both rear seating areas. Handling is extremely responsive and the 18" wheels really stand out. Freestyle is much cheaper than comparable X-SUV's with same equipment and it doesn't ride like a truck!

A Great Value & Confident Decision
By Jim on 02/18/05 15:33 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased a few weeks ago after test driving just about every SUV out there. Our choice was a Limted AWD, Black on Black. We have received numerous compliments from friends and family. Other vehicle is a Acura MDX, and the Freestyle is equal in equipment (if not more) and ride. Average 17+ mpg city. I am 6'3" and there is plenty of room both rear seating areas. Handling is extremely responsive and the 18" wheels really stand out. Freestyle is much cheaper than comparable crossover SUV's with same equipment and it doesn't ride like a truck!

My car
By webnoc on 02/16/05 22:46 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This car is everything I had hoped it would be. The transmission is so smooth - you don't notice that it never shifts, power is constant.

Ford Freestyle
By Tyler Smith on 02/16/05 20:57 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is an excellent car, SUV, or a crossover as they say. Lots of power due to the CVT transmission, ALWAYS tons of power when you need it. Tires are awful. It needs better traction in snow ( took it to Vermont ), but the traction control works like a dream! It is so smooth and quiet on the highway though.

Surprisingly Good & Reliable
By MRC on 02/12/05 10:13 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Got this car a a second vehicle (other car a Z4) and have been surprised at how comfortable and easy to drive it is - a good compromise between an SUV and a wagon. It is simple and the fuel efficiency has been ranging in the low to mid 20s. The new gear system is smooth and once you get use to it, it make the ride smooth and comfortable. The flexibility of the seating arrangement (1-7) is great and easy to change. We were lucky to get this vehicle before a snow storm that left 16 inches behind and the Freestyle did great in the snow. The sound system is good and the temperature control system is easy to operate. Very happy so far with it.

Nothing but problems
By Badexperience on 02/09/05 13:32 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I Purchased my Freestyle on 17 November, and to date I've been able to drive for ~24 days! The rest of the time itÂ’s been either in for repairs or waiting for parts to be "pulled off the line". So far I've had the front wheel bearings replaced (@ 600 miles), transmission replaced (@ 900 miles), and the car still makes horrible grinding and/or clicking noises when cornering and breaking. Worst yet, when braking in turns this car occasionally pulls wildly to the right. Great job on styling, terrible job on reliability and ability to diagnose and fix problems. Not what I expected for $35K, Ford can keep my Freestyle. Hopefully I got one of a few lemons!