Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

We Love it!
By Bill in Philly

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We sold an Audi A4 Avant to buy the Freestyle. The Freestyle is a much better car. I cannot believe how nice it is on the highway. The car is not as slow as people think. It just feels slow with the CVT and the tranny takes some getting used to. But after you figure it out, it is a great transmission. I have even towed a 1200lb trailer with it with not trouble. What a value!

Nice smooth highway ride.

Add a more aggressive program for the tranny that is available at the push of a button.

American Quality
By elibruno

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Too bad Ford doesn't know how to advertise and promote this vehicle; no crossover within $8K has its attributes; we traded in a BMW 3 series sportwagon (5 grandkids now!) and don't miss it all. Utility is beyond belief.

Fold flat seats in second and third row. Extra space behind third row seats. Tremendous visibility front and side.

Should have xenon headlight option.

Loving my Freebie! I named it "Sprout."
By Loving Sprout!

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my '05 Freestyle FWD SE just under a month ago. It is Titanium Green with Shale interior in cloth. I have just over 1,000 miles of trouble free fun on it so far and couldn't be happier. While many people are so quick to address the supposed "lack of power" in this vehicle, I have to disagree (slightly). From a standstill I can confirm that this vehicle is not lightning quick. However, at highway speeds there's a rush of power as the car builds speed for passing. I am averaging 20 miles per gallon which is great considering my daily commute of gridlock and "hilly" city streets. Factor in the ability to haul bundles of softball gear and passengers all at once, and I'm all smiles.

I love the flexible seating and cavernous cargo area. Also, the upgraded 6cd/mp3 in dash stereo is superb. The abundance of cup holders, standard roof rack, and logical layout all add to the value of the vehicle. Since it's not big enough to be the "Jolly Green Giant," I named it "Sprout" instead.

More off the line power would calm critics, but I would not want that increase at the loss of the miles per gallon. The only other thing I can possible suggest would be to make the safety canopy system standard. It isn't on my vehicle but I would definitely appreciate the added safety.

An Unproclaimed Gem
By Jack Hammond

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Never saw an ad, but we did see the Freestyle on the highway. Went to a dealer to see close-up and walked out owning a new Freestyle. We are very pleased with this SUV and cannot understand the lack of promotion from Ford, it seems to be almost invisible. However, we think almost with out exception, this SUV is one of the best buys on the mid-size market. Our other SUV is a 2000 Yukon XL and this Freestyle replaced an 1998 Jeep. You would do well to spend some time with this vehicle before you buy.

Mileage, transmission.

Offer more options with cloth seats.

Excellent Freestyle
By Kris Loewen

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My wife and I recently purchased a Freestyle. We love the car. The door openings are large and comfortable, easy to see out; smooth and very quiet ride; nice acceleration, and no annoying jerk at the shift points. We love the car, and are satisfied with the mileage. The fold away seats are wonderful; we can pack tons of stuff in the back of this car.

The CVT; the command seating - great visuals outside; all wheel drive.

Armrests on the center captains chairs would be nice; ours does not have heated seats or a sunroof ... would be nice. I would appreciate the rear hatch to offer the option of opening the window only, or the whole hatch. Add some more towing capacity.

• SUV