2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
I loved this car, but it's a lemon :(
By Brian on 03/16/05 22:58 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought the LTD AWD as a step away from a minivan for it's versatility and modern design. The early ownership experience was very positive, with just two flaws noted - the lack of foot room for third row occupants under the second row seat that limits the effective leg room of the third row and the rear view mirror view that is one-third blocked by the sunroof controls for taller drivers. The acceleration was good with the CVT and the drive train was very smooth. Only on uphill on-ramps would the engine labor to get the 4,000 pound plus vehicle to move quickly. Alas, two CVT failures at the 2,000 mile mark have soured the ownership experience. Ford roadside assistance is also poor with 2+ hour waits.

Great smaller SUV
By Richard on 03/11/05 21:48 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

It's a great small SUV and handles very well. True, it is a bit underpowered, but it's a sharp looking, nicely equipped vehicle with tons of room for cargo and people. I love it! Having a daughter in college moving in and out of dorms, I needed the large room, but not the large fuel costs of a Tahoe or Explorer.

I love this Freestyle
By SnowRider on 03/11/05 11:31 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This car exceeded all my expectations. After I sat in the car, I knew this is the one I am looking for. Handled excellently in snow and slippery roads. Drives like a car, but holds lots of cargo. The seating is perfect. Even with the lowest trim level, the seats are very comfortable. Very smooth ride. Good gas mileage for a vehicle of this size.

No Compromises Crossover
By DerwoodTom on 03/10/05 20:32 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Just got the Freestyle this week, and people ask what it is - and I respond a great vehicle. Plenty of features, leather seating, DVD, Moonroof, seats six (middle row buckets), and thoughtfully built. Nice features such as outside perimeter lighting, auto-dimming mirror for night driving, driver's side on door keypad is multi-functional. Drives great, plenty of pep around town, great passing from 50 - 70, at just over $28K, a great value compared to the few others with all these features and similar size. Tried looking at Toyota Highlander, Buick Rendevous, Honda Pilot, or another mini-van, but after 19 straight years of minivan life, this is a great change, even compared to our two sedans.

We love it - President's Week VT ski trip
By Tom on 03/07/05 21:32 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Snow experience - We just returned from a family ski vacation in Vermont where we had plenty of opportunity to test the AWD LTD Freestyle. The car was fully loaded with 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs and supplies for the week's trip. We drove up in a snow storm and by the time we entered Vermont we were driving on packed snow mixed with sand. We saw over 7 accidents but can report the Freestyle AWD performed well. Even on the snow most of the 4X4's were going 50 mph on the interstate and we had no problem at all with the Freestyle. The match of the CVT with the engine is perfect and when letting up on the gas the engine/transmission actually brake the car giving a strong sense of confidence. "Tank Like"

Ford Freestyle
By lani contreras on 03/06/05 20:29 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I love my Freestyle. I love the AWD.The only complaint I have is that I wish it had a bit more pick up from the take off. The gas mileage is ok not great, but it sure is better than a SUV. Even though it isn't a SUV, it acts like one to me with the AWD. The interior is very comfortable. Very people friendly when it comes to having chldren under the age of ten. I feel very safe and comfortable in my Freestyle just by the fact I sit a bit higher in my car. It is a fun car to drive whether you have to drive far, or just around the corner. All around I feel safe, and I have fun driving my freestyle.

No more vans since I found the Freestyle
By Michelle on 03/02/05 23:53 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I like this vehicle, It is good alternative to a minivan or SUV. The visibility is good and with the adjustable drivers seat it makes it easy for even a height challenged person to drive comfortably. It has a smooth ride and it is very easy to drive. You have to keep an eye on your how fast you are going because with the smooth CVT transmission you can easily exceed the speed limit. The leg room is quite good even in the third seat. And the ability to fold down the seats makes this a all purpose vehicle. Good work Ford; I hope this vehicle is a real success. I am glad I waited to purchase my new vehicle until I found the Freestyle.

Smooth ride
By Stylie on 03/01/05 19:59 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have been quite happy with my Freestyle over the last month. It drives like a car and feels very safe. The 4 wheel independent suspension offers a very smooth ride. Mileage is great. I am impressed with the acceleration and the smooth feel of the CVT. The Freestyle makes a great weekend get away machine!

I love my Freestyle
By Happy Camper on 02/28/05 17:36 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I've only had my Freestyle since the end of December, but I love it already. I've seen some complaints about a lack of power but there is plenty there for me and I love the way it corners - like it's on rails. Every time I get a tank of gas, someone compliments its looks. The good news is that I don't have to fill it up that often. It's gotten in the mid 20s since I got it. When it's time to get rid of my wife's Odyssey, I'd consider getting another one of these.

Freestyle the perfect blend
By Chris on 02/27/05 16:04 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My wife and I had to find a family car - Mustangs just don't take car seats. The roominess inside is great, even 3rd row. Excellent cargo capacity while lacking that soccer-mom image. Our first choice. The Pacifica didn't even compare - overpriced, no room inside, seats didn't look like they went down. Every time we test drove the car it just felt right, even after driving a Honda Odyssey with all the creature comforts. Would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a family car.