Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Glad I Made the Change
By Christy

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I went from driving a FORD Expedition to driving the Freestyle. It has been a great change. I feel like I'm driving a car again with the safety I have come to expect from the SUV. The car handles great in the snow and rain. I love the fold down quick and easy seats. The kids love the DVD player and sunroof. I have been asked many times about my car and have told everyone I would buy it again. If you are looking for a good and relatively inexpensive family car, go check out the Freestyle.

Favorite Features

Driving the vehicle and the ease of getting in and out.

Suggested Improvements

The interior could be upgraded. The noise the car makes going uphill takes getting used to.

Old E150 Chateau convert
By Jim

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Looked at alternatives to the trade in on the 2000 Chateau Van. The van had bunches of room, a V8, and in great shape. I needed a van replacement that was better on gas. The Freestyle is much better, and for the kids, we got the DVD and rear console. Family trip was the quietest I ever had ... just keep plugging in the DVDs and the rear console holds all the drinks and snacks. Around town with the CVT, it has some power, but could use more. It is not a Mustang GT, but it is a family wagon ... so why have to go so fast? I got the red with grey accents and it looks great.

Favorite Features

The way the car has so many alternative ways of storage ... seats up, down, fold, etc. It has more room than my brother-in-law's Pacifica.

Suggested Improvements

The cloth seats will stain almost immediately, by just water! Ford needs to get a more stain resistant material if this is going to be sold and used by families.

We Love it!
By Bill in Philly

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We sold an Audi A4 Avant to buy the Freestyle. The Freestyle is a much better car. I cannot believe how nice it is on the highway. The car is not as slow as people think. It just feels slow with the CVT and the tranny takes some getting used to. But after you figure it out, it is a great transmission. I have even towed a 1200lb trailer with it with not trouble. What a value!

Favorite Features

Nice smooth highway ride.

Suggested Improvements

Add a more aggressive program for the tranny that is available at the push of a button.

American Quality
By elibruno

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Too bad Ford doesn't know how to advertise and promote this vehicle; no crossover within $8K has its attributes; we traded in a BMW 3 series sportwagon (5 grandkids now!) and don't miss it all. Utility is beyond belief.

Favorite Features

Fold flat seats in second and third row. Extra space behind third row seats. Tremendous visibility front and side.

Suggested Improvements

Should have xenon headlight option.

Loving my Freebie! I named it "Sprout."
By Loving Sprout!

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my '05 Freestyle FWD SE just under a month ago. It is Titanium Green with Shale interior in cloth. I have just over 1,000 miles of trouble free fun on it so far and couldn't be happier. While many people are so quick to address the supposed "lack of power" in this vehicle, I have to disagree (slightly). From a standstill I can confirm that this vehicle is not lightning quick. However, at highway speeds there's a rush of power as the car builds speed for passing. I am averaging 20 miles per gallon which is great considering my daily commute of gridlock and "hilly" city streets. Factor in the ability to haul bundles of softball gear and passengers all at once, and I'm all smiles.

Favorite Features

I love the flexible seating and cavernous cargo area. Also, the upgraded 6cd/mp3 in dash stereo is superb. The abundance of cup holders, standard roof rack, and logical layout all add to the value of the vehicle. Since it's not big enough to be the "Jolly Green Giant," I named it "Sprout" instead.

Suggested Improvements

More off the line power would calm critics, but I would not want that increase at the loss of the miles per gallon. The only other thing I can possible suggest would be to make the safety canopy system standard. It isn't on my vehicle but I would definitely appreciate the added safety.