Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Perfect Family Car, 100% Recommended
By freestylin

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This car has been nothing but a pleasure to own. I have the SEL FWD model with leather and sunroof. The proven 3.0L engine is extremely reliable and gets great gas mileage. My Freestyle has 175,000 kms and runs like a charm. We will definitely be buying another crossover, but since Ford didn't keep the design style of the Freestyle and went with the Flex instead, we might be forced to go with a Journey. Overall a job well done by Ford on a safe, economical, practical, and reliable family car.

-Leather interior is very very comfortable -Reliable engine gets good fuel economy and is relatively low maintenance -Sporty look doesn't give off the look of a minivan, and is much more sporty than one -CVT transmission shifts extremely smoothly. TIP: in order to not have problems with the CVT, keep up on your transmission fluid and have it checked regularly. -Handles great in winter driving, even with FWD

-Ford's factory paint is HORRIBLE. Paint chips come so easily on this car and dents easily. -Possibly a more powerful engine while maintaining good fuel economy -Car lunges sometimes when put in gear, no biggie

FORD FREESTYLE IS A PIECE OF JUNK
By trishaiam1

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased this car from a auction 6 months ago. The freestyle has a smooth ride but not kid friendly at all. Easy to get dirty. I've had transmission problems since. I took it to a transmission mechanic and he said he just replaced one 6 months earlier and the lowest transmission he found was 3k used, a new one is 6k. I've emailed Ford because I am driving a Ford and not a Lexus. If I could afford a transmission that cost 3 or 6k I would've bought a Lexus. I've emailed Ford and Dan responded that he's glad I purchased the freestyle, sorry for my problems and good luck. So they are not standing behind their junk....I'm stuck with a piece of JUNK. Please don't buy this car.

NOTHING

I suggest they recall the transmission or come out with a much more affordable one. I don't need a car that the parts are more than the car itself.

Seems to be a great car!!
By trixiegirl

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have had this 2005 Freestyle for 1 yr it now has 108,000 mile have not had any problems. I get oil changed every 3,000 miles and due transmission when it needs to be done. I really hope I don't have the issues others have had with this type of car.

I love its a car and a type of truck at same time. Saves me mony on renting a truck now, not all things fit but alot does.

More leg room on drivers side. and better Stereo..

Horrible car
By zorazane

2005 Ford Freestyle SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

After purchasing this car new, my father admitted shortly thereafter that it had been a mistake. When he passed away a few years ago, I inherited the car and have had problem after problem since, culminating in my transmission going completely out last week at 93K miles - thankfully I was in a safe place to get over to call a tow truck. Called the dealership - over $6000 to replace the trans. Suffice it to say I am not pouring more $ into it. Even the dealership admitted they have had multiple problems. Stuck riding the bus. Shame on Ford.

Transmission and numerous problems
By cassandra1_o

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I too am having the problem with my transmission on my 2005 freestyle. I can't find one and the parts for one are outrageously high. just wondering with all the problems, why would ford still sell this vehicle, knowing the safety issues that occur.

I have to say my dvd and the interior set up is my favorite

take this vehicle off the market before a serious incident happens