2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
Never buying a ford again.
By aparadoski on 08/12/13 17:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our freestyle off kijiji. At first it was a good vehicle but was a little suckish on gas. We liked it for room for dogs or for passengers or for easy convienvence. After about two years of ownership, we started hearing a rumbling sound when in P or N. We took the car in and they told us that it was the transmission. We will now be trying to get rid of this piece of shit for something better like a mazda cx-7 before our lemonmobile breaks down. ps never buy another FORD.

What a waste of 10 Grand
By 4freese on 12/06/12 17:43 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought out Freestyle used and was assured that it was a great automobile with no known issues. After a year of owning it the car died and it has to have the CVT transmission fixed. I replaced the mechatronic unit and it still is not fixed. Dealer said that the best thing to do is light a match and drop it on the floorboard. A new trans is $6000 and a throttle body is $500. Mechatronic unit was $800. What a money pit. If it had a better transmission it would be a great car but it cannot move without this working.

Perfect Family Car, 100% Recommended
By freestylin on 08/22/12 20:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This car has been nothing but a pleasure to own. I have the SEL FWD model with leather and sunroof. The proven 3.0L engine is extremely reliable and gets great gas mileage. My Freestyle has 175,000 kms and runs like a charm. We will definitely be buying another crossover, but since Ford didn't keep the design style of the Freestyle and went with the Flex instead, we might be forced to go with a Journey. Overall a job well done by Ford on a safe, economical, practical, and reliable family car.

Transmission and numerous problems
By cassandra1_o on 11/13/11 07:22 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I too am having the problem with my transmission on my 2005 freestyle. I can't find one and the parts for one are outrageously high. just wondering with all the problems, why would ford still sell this vehicle, knowing the safety issues that occur.

Love the design, In for service already
By Aarrow on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We recently purchased the freestyle from a reputable dealer.We have owned it for a month now and unfortunately it had to go to the shop numerous times right after buying it for shaking at 55-60mph, tires were cupping,rough idle and power steering pump. They put a new engine damper on it and now have had it for days saying it needs a torque converter. I understand with the miles it has it's not gonna be perfect. I'm starting to feel maybe this car should never have been put on the lot. I can say the problems put aside though I love the style and comfort of the freestyle.

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL
By Greg on 06/01/10 01:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Replaced brakes after 34,000 miles, and had the intermittent cluster display circuit board replaced at a whopping $980.00 I've always bought Ford vehicles in the past, but this is the last time I buy anything from Ford. I don't know how Ford managed to stay away from the bailout, because their vehicles are total garbage, except for their line of Trucks.

No problems here
By POC on 02/20/10 23:13 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We've had a very good experience with our Freestyle. It replaced a Durango that we had lots of trouble with. The Freestyle is peppy for its size and handles well. The CVT is different and takes some getting used to. Traction control is sometimes not helpful, very glad that it can be turned off, with it off both front tires pull. Last week I drove home through 6" of unplowed snow without a problem. We had one problem with the Climate Control dash buttons not working, turned out to be a vacuum leak (known to happen). I bought the car for my wife to drive, as she didn't want a minivan. It is a good looking car too. Selling ours to get something 4x4.

Family Dream
By Satisfied Owner on 08/02/09 16:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My wife chose the Freestyle as a family car while I was overseas, the family (wife and three daughters)enjoyed it for six months. When I returned for vacation I had the opportunity to drive it for a week. I loved the style, handling,color, gas mileage for the times, in-city and highway, spaciousness and cargo capacity. Only regular maintenance and general upkeep required. We loaned it to my sister in- law (a Chevy fan)for 6 months, and now she is a convert. Friends unfamiliar with the vehicle also enjoyed the comfortable ride, leg space and features.

1,300 miles 5 people + Luggage= Review
By Iceman on 06/02/09 06:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is my wife's car. I own a Fusion that I love dearly. We took a weekend trip to St. Louis for a funeral. Over 1,400 miles in one weekend with 5 people + luggage. I drive fast (around 90) and still got over 20 mpg for the trip. I could easily see 23-24 mpg fully loaded driving say 65 or 70. Not the fastest vehicle in acceleration but adequate for a family vehicle. Very stable in turns at expressway speeds. Change your tires which we just recently did from the original Continentals. New Goodyears are a huge improvement. This is a great family vehicle that is good on long trips. Ford hit a homerun again. These are cheap buys on the used market.

Most Unreliable Car ever owned.
By NeverbuyFordAgain on 05/31/09 21:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Drive the Car about 3000 miles per year, the vehicle has 18000 took it into the dealer because of a noise comming from the tranmision the same day the the engine light came up. After the dealer diagnosys, the car need new cylinder #5 new valves new head and a new Torque conveter for the tranmission about $5100.00 dollars later no word from Ford since the vehicle is out of warranty of course after the first 3 years called everyone at ford to try to get some type of help, no response I've had 5 fords in my life time, this is the last one I will ever owned, they lost me as a customer.