Used 2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Never buying a ford again.
By aparadoski

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our freestyle off kijiji. At first it was a good vehicle but was a little suckish on gas. We liked it for room for dogs or for passengers or for easy convienvence. After about two years of ownership, we started hearing a rumbling sound when in P or N. We took the car in and they told us that it was the transmission. We will now be trying to get rid of this piece of shit for something better like a mazda cx-7 before our lemonmobile breaks down. ps never buy another FORD.

sucks

stop making cars.

What a waste of 10 Grand
By 4freese

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought out Freestyle used and was assured that it was a great automobile with no known issues. After a year of owning it the car died and it has to have the CVT transmission fixed. I replaced the mechatronic unit and it still is not fixed. Dealer said that the best thing to do is light a match and drop it on the floorboard. A new trans is $6000 and a throttle body is $500. Mechatronic unit was $800. What a money pit. If it had a better transmission it would be a great car but it cannot move without this working.

Everything except the transmission.

Ford needs to reimburse buyers or replace the transmisison with something better. They know the problems exsist and will not fix them.

Perfect Family Car, 100% Recommended
By freestylin

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This car has been nothing but a pleasure to own. I have the SEL FWD model with leather and sunroof. The proven 3.0L engine is extremely reliable and gets great gas mileage. My Freestyle has 175,000 kms and runs like a charm. We will definitely be buying another crossover, but since Ford didn't keep the design style of the Freestyle and went with the Flex instead, we might be forced to go with a Journey. Overall a job well done by Ford on a safe, economical, practical, and reliable family car.

-Leather interior is very very comfortable -Reliable engine gets good fuel economy and is relatively low maintenance -Sporty look doesn't give off the look of a minivan, and is much more sporty than one -CVT transmission shifts extremely smoothly. TIP: in order to not have problems with the CVT, keep up on your transmission fluid and have it checked regularly. -Handles great in winter driving, even with FWD

-Ford's factory paint is HORRIBLE. Paint chips come so easily on this car and dents easily. -Possibly a more powerful engine while maintaining good fuel economy -Car lunges sometimes when put in gear, no biggie

Transmission and numerous problems
By cassandra1_o

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I too am having the problem with my transmission on my 2005 freestyle. I can't find one and the parts for one are outrageously high. just wondering with all the problems, why would ford still sell this vehicle, knowing the safety issues that occur.

I have to say my dvd and the interior set up is my favorite

take this vehicle off the market before a serious incident happens

Love the design, In for service already
By Aarrow

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We recently purchased the freestyle from a reputable dealer.We have owned it for a month now and unfortunately it had to go to the shop numerous times right after buying it for shaking at 55-60mph, tires were cupping,rough idle and power steering pump. They put a new engine damper on it and now have had it for days saying it needs a torque converter. I understand with the miles it has it's not gonna be perfect. I'm starting to feel maybe this car should never have been put on the lot. I can say the problems put aside though I love the style and comfort of the freestyle.

Leather seats are comfortable, gas mileage is great. Easy to get in and out of, fold in floor rear seats. Entertainment system. Plenty of room for family of 5. Like the CVT transmission.

Only that I wish it weren't in to be serviced so much.