2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
Liked the Freestyle
By Lobo on 04/24/10 12:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We live in S. MD and bought the 05 Freestyle new while on a trip to WV; happened to pass a dealer in VA and just stopped in for a look. Traded an 01 Explorer Sport, and have really enjoyed the Freestyle. The handling, comfort, and space were very good; mileage averaged around 24 for 65k miles. CVT took a little getting used to, but really liked it in the mountains, and great in up to 10" of snow. No problems or repairs; just traded it in for a 2010 Lincoln MKX, wife's an SUV girl at heart. Interesting note, local dealer thought our Freestyle was so nice, it's in their showroom for sale, and they can only fit 3 vehicles in the showroom. Freestyle's don't stay on the lot long around here.

Very happy owner
By freealfas on 06/08/07 06:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

24 months in we are very happy with our purchase and find it to be the best value in the market to date. Safe, economical, performs great in any and all situations. Glad we bought FWD instead of AWD to minimize the potential for issues in the future with the extra mechanicals and it helps mileage.

Almost 2 years later
By freealfas on 05/11/07 08:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Has been a great vehicle. I find it to be the best balance of value, economy, space, advanced technology, safety, and style avaiable. It is perfect for hauling our child and all of her stuff and when the grandparents come to town it lets us all ride in comfort and safety. You cannot go wrong with the purchase of a FS and will enjoy every mile.

Lemon of a car
By Angry Jim on 10/31/06 06:29 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

In one year, 6 weeks in the shop. Transmission valve, EGR, main computer, rear brakes (twice in 50K miles). Couple that with Ford's poor service and you have a very angry and disappointed customer. In right now for the second set of brakes, called in advance to check, yes, they have the rotors. Show up at 7:25 for a 7:30 appointment. Their service driver doesn't start till 8:00 then he didn't finish his breakfast till 8:15. Then they called me at 9:15 to tell me they really don't have the rotors. They have had my car for days at a time for warranty repairs and tell me they can take me to a car rental place. Never ever again will a blue oval sit in my driveway. Absolute junk.

Under Appreciated & Under Marketed
By Dave B on 03/14/06 10:47 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is a smart, capable vehicle, very versatile for family use. Ford’s thinking is smart on this one, create a station wagon with the styling and comfort attributes of an SUV without the ride, handling, and gas mileage penalties. Offered as a 6 and 7 seater, we choose the 7 for our family of 5; this allows our kids to sit three across and use the luggage space, or take a couple of friends along. The 3rd row seat is one of the most useful available in the market, better than some in far larger vehicles. Pleasant to drive, it gets compliments from everyone that rides in it. Gas mileage has been 17 city & 24 highway, low compared to the EPA figures, but much better than our V-8 SUV at 13/17.

New Ford is Fun!
By AGMG on 01/29/06 10:18 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have nothing to complain about with this car. My wife owned a '95 Ford Taurus for 10 years and 182,000 miles prior to our purchasing this car. When we compared it to the '05 Taurus, Expedition and Explorer, it was obviously the best choice for our needs and dollar. Although the CVT takes a little time to get used to because you're used to hearing the car shift, it doesn't lack in performance as many of the auto magazines' writers have claimed. It's not a hot rod sports car, but it will get up and out of its way ... you just have to know how to make it do it. We love it and hope they last for another 10 years ... maybe we'll buy another one then!

My 2005 Freestyle FWD
By maxdraw on 08/13/05 12:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have 2500 miles on my 2005 Freestyle FWD and so far it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. My previous vehicle was a '98 Explorer Sport and it gave me 115,000 trouble free miles. In my opinion the Freestyle has been well engineered to have an effective balance between fuel economy and performance. I have never felt the need for more power. If I wanted a sports or muscle car I would have bought one, but this car is not gutless from a drivers perspective. My close second choice was a Honda Odyssey, but in the end I liked the overall driving experience I felt driving the Freestyle. It feels smooth, tight, quiet and responsive.

Great buy-Good Ideas
By Big Ed on 06/20/05 17:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I like to haul several passengers but was tired of pouring $50 bills into the gas tank of my Eddie Bauer Expedition. Checked this and most other crossovers out. Decided to try the Freestyle and have no regrets. It is comfortable, sporty, and has easy access to back seats. It is truly fun to drive. There is little or no road noise. Gas mileage is short of the 27 estimated on the sticker but big improvement from the Expedition. The seating flexibility is unbelievably simple to use. Plenty of room for bulky items. I would highly recommend it!

Fine overall package.
By EricKnight on 06/14/05 13:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Coming from a 4-cylinder sedan, I have no concerns about acceleration of 3.0 DuraTec and CVT, nor about engine noise on acceleration. Minimal lean on cornering. Crisp steering & handling. Dash, instruments & controls well laid out. Some panel materials & switches could be more substantial.

First FWD Limited
By bruneau1 on 05/14/05 13:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Ford has nailed the crossover vehicle. Ingress/egress is perfect. I love the CVT transmission - so smooth and intelligent in keeping the engine in the correct power band. The interior is very comfortable and in good taste. Our Merlot Metallic is gorgeous. It is very well built. The FWD is faster and quieter than the AWD.