2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
Freestyle First Owner with 270,000 miles
By schopster on 05/31/14 09:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my Limited AWD new in 2005 and have found the car to be very reliable. Just turned 270K miles as I drive a lot for my work. Gas mileage is consistent at 21 mpg now for mix of highway/town driving. I do alot of general maintenance myself. Things that have been replaced include all wheel bearings, front struts, some front suspension items, normal brakes/rotors/calipers once. I change oil at 5K with ford semi-synthetic and the engine doesnt use a drop of oil between oil changes. Drivers seat heater stopped working a while back. CVT had filter/fluid changes at 190K and as been rock solid. Once a year you should clean the butterfly in the throttle body- if not it can surge at idle.

Great Car
By sethjg on 03/31/14 08:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

i have a 05 Limited Freestyle has 79,000 miles, bought it from my aunt and its been a great car since just dont drive it hard simple as that its a heavy car if you put the peddle to the floor constintly expect problems.. and keep it maintained the car will last for a long time and check for recalls before fixing anything.

Never buying a ford again.
By aparadoski on 08/12/13 17:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our freestyle off kijiji. At first it was a good vehicle but was a little suckish on gas. We liked it for room for dogs or for passengers or for easy convienvence. After about two years of ownership, we started hearing a rumbling sound when in P or N. We took the car in and they told us that it was the transmission. We will now be trying to get rid of this piece of shit for something better like a mazda cx-7 before our lemonmobile breaks down. ps never buy another FORD.

What a waste of 10 Grand
By 4freese on 12/06/12 17:43 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought out Freestyle used and was assured that it was a great automobile with no known issues. After a year of owning it the car died and it has to have the CVT transmission fixed. I replaced the mechatronic unit and it still is not fixed. Dealer said that the best thing to do is light a match and drop it on the floorboard. A new trans is $6000 and a throttle body is $500. Mechatronic unit was $800. What a money pit. If it had a better transmission it would be a great car but it cannot move without this working.

Another bad tranny.
By susanh48 on 11/29/12 21:04 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I've had my 2005 freestyle 2 years. It's miles 112,000. When stopped it would lunge forward. Had mechanic look at it but he couldn't get it to lunge. Then the rear traction light came on. Tried to take it to mechanic & was fine. A few more days go by and then the check transmission light comes on. Again go to mechanic and it runs fine. This time I had it looked at & was told it had 5 transmission codes, none of which he could fix. Drove it for weekend made an appt to take to tranny shop, told it needed a new tranny $4500 plus labor of $1500 and backordered 90 days. I am like others and stuck making payments while it sits. This will be my last Ford.

Perfect Family Car, 100% Recommended
By freestylin on 08/22/12 20:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This car has been nothing but a pleasure to own. I have the SEL FWD model with leather and sunroof. The proven 3.0L engine is extremely reliable and gets great gas mileage. My Freestyle has 175,000 kms and runs like a charm. We will definitely be buying another crossover, but since Ford didn't keep the design style of the Freestyle and went with the Flex instead, we might be forced to go with a Journey. Overall a job well done by Ford on a safe, economical, practical, and reliable family car.

FORD FREESTYLE IS A PIECE OF JUNK
By trishaiam1 on 07/21/12 08:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased this car from a auction 6 months ago. The freestyle has a smooth ride but not kid friendly at all. Easy to get dirty. I've had transmission problems since. I took it to a transmission mechanic and he said he just replaced one 6 months earlier and the lowest transmission he found was 3k used, a new one is 6k. I've emailed Ford because I am driving a Ford and not a Lexus. If I could afford a transmission that cost 3 or 6k I would've bought a Lexus. I've emailed Ford and Dan responded that he's glad I purchased the freestyle, sorry for my problems and good luck. So they are not standing behind their junk....I'm stuck with a piece of JUNK. Please don't buy this car.

Seems to be a great car!!
By trixiegirl on 06/14/12 20:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I have had this 2005 Freestyle for 1 yr it now has 108,000 mile have not had any problems. I get oil changed every 3,000 miles and due transmission when it needs to be done. I really hope I don't have the issues others have had with this type of car.

Horrible car
By zorazane on 03/21/12 08:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

After purchasing this car new, my father admitted shortly thereafter that it had been a mistake. When he passed away a few years ago, I inherited the car and have had problem after problem since, culminating in my transmission going completely out last week at 93K miles - thankfully I was in a safe place to get over to call a tow truck. Called the dealership - over $6000 to replace the trans. Suffice it to say I am not pouring more $ into it. Even the dealership admitted they have had multiple problems. Stuck riding the bus. Shame on Ford.

Transmission and numerous problems
By cassandra1_o on 11/13/11 07:22 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I too am having the problem with my transmission on my 2005 freestyle. I can't find one and the parts for one are outrageously high. just wondering with all the problems, why would ford still sell this vehicle, knowing the safety issues that occur.