Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Consumer Reviews - 372 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Freestyle still a great car
By John

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

At 149,000 miles, this 2005 Volvo-Based car is still a great buy for us after 10 years. Owned since new. Engine and trans mostly problem free. Rear bearings at 135,000. Occasional brake work.

Another Transmission Horror Tale
By Bill Hayes

DON'T BUY THIS CAR!
Transmission woes will plague you if you buy a car with this transmission. Other owners stated their facts well, mine are similar. What I've learned is that Ford has no integrity, won't stand behind their product, and don't mind selling inferior products. Shame on you, Ford....I'll never buy another.
I also think the reviews praising this car are bogus

Approaching 250k
By Chris

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Very impressed with this car. Great versatility and reliability. Very few problems

throttle body
By Renee Owens

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Ok so we bought this 2005 freestyle had 18 months ran perfect. Monday we are driving down the road lose all power, pull over the car is still running but gas pedal will not work. We turned vehicle off started it back ran perfect until Saturday same thing happened. We coasted into auto zone they put it on diagnostics. Diagnostics said it was tps so later that day same thing happened pulled over turned car off it started back but now engine light won't go off. I took it to ford dealer they are saying it's throttle body. There was a recall but ford won't honor because they are saying it has never been serviced but the warranty on it ran out June 2 So now we have to pay 940 to ford place for throttle body ridiculous but only vehicle we have so it's got to be paid

Extremely Disappointed with Ford
By Lisa

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

own a 2005 limited awd..duratek engine is great, but CVT trans is junk. I first noticed the car started lunging around 80k miles. Progressively got worse. Then the transmission went. MANY transmission specialists told me it's about a $6k job, and they didn't even want to touch it. Even the Ford dealership told me the car wasn't worth the fix. You can't even find a salvaged/rebuilt CVT because they are ALL junk, and if you do, no one will guarantee anything. And after reading everyone else's posts with the exact same problems, it's an absolute abomination that Ford would not do a recall. Ford is well aware of these issues, even launched an investigation, but never made the recall! I still owe about 1k on the beast, and i will probably get a few more months out of it so im gonna drive it into the ground. I've always been a Ford girl, and was especially proud that they didn't take a bailout. But Ford is still using this transmission, and their full knowledge of these issues and refusing to stand by their product has really put me off. Basically, we are getting screwed, and they don't care. I am extremely disappointed with Ford. I am no longer a Ford girl.