Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Extremely Disappointed with Ford
By Lisa

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

own a 2005 limited awd..duratek engine is great, but CVT trans is junk. I first noticed the car started lunging around 80k miles. Progressively got worse. Then the transmission went. MANY transmission specialists told me it's about a $6k job, and they didn't even want to touch it. Even the Ford dealership told me the car wasn't worth the fix. You can't even find a salvaged/rebuilt CVT because they are ALL junk, and if you do, no one will guarantee anything. And after reading everyone else's posts with the exact same problems, it's an absolute abomination that Ford would not do a recall. Ford is well aware of these issues, even launched an investigation, but never made the recall! I still owe about 1k on the beast, and i will probably get a few more months out of it so im gonna drive it into the ground. I've always been a Ford girl, and was especially proud that they didn't take a bailout. But Ford is still using this transmission, and their full knowledge of these issues and refusing to stand by their product has really put me off. Basically, we are getting screwed, and they don't care. I am extremely disappointed with Ford. I am no longer a Ford girl.

Freestyle First Owner with 270,000 miles
By schopster

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my Limited AWD new in 2005 and have found the car to be very reliable. Just turned 270K miles as I drive a lot for my work. Gas mileage is consistent at 21 mpg now for mix of highway/town driving. I do alot of general maintenance myself. Things that have been replaced include all wheel bearings, front struts, some front suspension items, normal brakes/rotors/calipers once. I change oil at 5K with ford semi-synthetic and the engine doesnt use a drop of oil between oil changes. Drivers seat heater stopped working a while back. CVT had filter/fluid changes at 190K and as been rock solid. Once a year you should clean the butterfly in the throttle body- if not it can surge at idle.

This car is very reliable, never lets me down, and I still would not hesitate to hop in it and drive cross country. The body has stayed good.. I live in NE with winter road salt and rarely wash it. There is a couple of spots of corrosion on the leading edge of the aluminum hood but otherwise in good shape for high mileage car. In my opinion, great family car, hauls a bunch (6 people with the rear seats opened up) good sound system with the DVD premium sound option. I have also pulled a 12 foot utility trailer, often heavily loaded, about 25K miles with the car. MPG suffers due to weight and wind drag- about 17mpg at highway speeds.

Great Car
By sethjg

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

i have a 05 Limited Freestyle has 79,000 miles, bought it from my aunt and its been a great car since just dont drive it hard simple as that its a heavy car if you put the peddle to the floor constintly expect problems.. and keep it maintained the car will last for a long time and check for recalls before fixing anything.

The Heating and AC at a maintained tempature, and the leather interrior

The body style is ok beside the hump on the roof idk what was goin on in ford head haha

Never buying a ford again.
By aparadoski

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our freestyle off kijiji. At first it was a good vehicle but was a little suckish on gas. We liked it for room for dogs or for passengers or for easy convienvence. After about two years of ownership, we started hearing a rumbling sound when in P or N. We took the car in and they told us that it was the transmission. We will now be trying to get rid of this piece of shit for something better like a mazda cx-7 before our lemonmobile breaks down. ps never buy another FORD.

sucks

stop making cars.

What a waste of 10 Grand
By 4freese

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought out Freestyle used and was assured that it was a great automobile with no known issues. After a year of owning it the car died and it has to have the CVT transmission fixed. I replaced the mechatronic unit and it still is not fixed. Dealer said that the best thing to do is light a match and drop it on the floorboard. A new trans is $6000 and a throttle body is $500. Mechatronic unit was $800. What a money pit. If it had a better transmission it would be a great car but it cannot move without this working.

Everything except the transmission.

Ford needs to reimburse buyers or replace the transmisison with something better. They know the problems exsist and will not fix them.