2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:
Bad Tranmissions
By sassybob on 10/18/11 13:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Like many who have commented on this site, my 2005 Freestyle CVT transmission failed at 56, 500 mile. The dealership stated they cannot fix the transmission because Ford doesn't make parts anymore, resulting in replacing the transmission at a cost of $5800.00. Ford Corporate has washed their hands on this matter and will not accept any responsibility, so we are faced with either parking the car because we don't have $5800.00, or looking into sueing Ford under small claims action. [violative content deleted]

No More Ford's For Me
By Shirley Howard on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my Freestyle when they first hit the showroom, I had been watching them when they first started showing them on their website. I really did like this SUV, It just rolled over to 100,000 miles a week ago. I was planning on driving this for a long time. Then the transmission started messing up and would not change out of low, the tech was going crazy. The dealership informed us it needed a new transmission at the tune of $5910 out the door. That's about what the thing is worth. I have bought my last Ford and I've had several. I would not advise anyone to buy a Ford because they are nothing but junk and they won't stand behind them. Now I know why they only made them for 3 years.

Freestyle..how about BAD Style
By Unhappy Ford Owner on 08/13/10 12:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Reading the reviews is very enlightening. We bought the car new after having good experiences with Ford Explorers. We have had the same problems as most other people. Multiple brake jobs, rotors replaced, new tires, alignment issues, then there's the transmission. Nothing but problems. Dealer worked on the transmission twice now, first replaced a part, then had to install a completely new transmission. Well guess what transmission is out again, no warranty, no recognition by Ford of their clearly substandard product. Car is sitting in the driveway, useless. Turned off from Ford forever. Way to go Ford, short term gain, lifetime loss.

Need New Transmission
By Abby on 02/24/10 09:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Like others, I also need a new transmission at 88K miles. I have done all the tuneups, oil changes, filters, etc on this vehicle since I purchased it new in 2005. Transmission went out and so did the fuel and water pumps all at the same time. Costs more to repair than the car is worth, and I'm still making payments. Wish Ford would make concessions for these vehicles and help with repair expenses.

Good car, made like a tank
By Philippe T. on 12/22/09 17:38 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Didn't want a minivan but needed lots of space for the expanding family. The driving experience is superb, theres a real feeling of security white driving this car, its very stable. When you take a look around the car, you notice its made strong + lots of protective panels/rubber here and there. Performance is low, but who wants to race a 7 passenger car? Fuel economy is good on the hwy. Its has 70k miles with no major issues. A couple of repair on the suspension but previous owner drove a lot on unpaved roads, so I guess its normal. Generally love this car and recommend it. Saw a couple of internet complaits about tranny prob. I tow a 2000 pound popup tent and its holding up pretty strong.

Holy Freestyle
By Rolli on 07/31/09 18:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Bought our '05 Freestyle used with 27K. Ran good for 2 weeks, then one of the sensors went bad. $210 later because the car was out of warranty. It's been a year and 27K w/o issues until now the transmission literally blew up while driving. No noise, no check lights, just BAM! It's going to be at least $3K-$6K to fix. From what I've been reading, this is not the first time. I could never figure out how there were so little miles on a 3 year old car. Well, i figure now it must have been in the shop most of those years.

2005 Freestyle DOA
By brian on 01/11/09 04:36 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We purchased a 2005 Freestyle new. It is presently broken down at a gas station in CO. My wife barely made it off the road. With less than 50000 miles on it we have had the rear brakes replaced, a throttle body replaced, numerous problems with the rear passenger door seal, gas cap sensor problems. Good luck to anyone who purchases a Ford Freestyle.

Better Than I Expected
By Karl on 12/20/08 14:12 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Have owned this car from day one and has proved to be a very functional, practical vehicle. It also has a nice smooth ride and most surprisngly very reliable. Other than normal oil & filter changes, the only thing I've had to replace was the rear brake pads at 25k miles which Ford covered anyway. Just replaced the original Continental ContiTact tires with General Altimax tires which seem to fit well with this car. So overall, no complaints and hope to keep for another 5 years.

Finally got rid of it!
By MovedON on 05/29/08 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Start with the positive - it never broke down, ever. We loved the space allotment and flexibility inside and some of the small touches (keypad entry, lots of storage even with the third row seat in use). But the materials inside were total junk. We had the cloth upholstry and even water left a nasty stain. They really could do better. Under the hood there was way too much electrical tape. Finally, the fuel economy wasn't near what was promised and over 3 years Ford never figured out how to improve it. Lots of highway noise, crappy, staticy radio.

1st Ford I've been unhappy with
By Tam on 05/06/08 07:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is the 6th Ford we've owned. Loved the others, can't stand this one! There is a new rattle every day, the speakers are shot, and now the engine is making this horrendously loud whine that no one can figure out. They say it may be the alternator - not covered by the powertrain warranty, and costs upwards of $700 to replace! It does have lots of room, handles nicely, and gets decent gas mileage. But I dread getting in it every day because of all the rattling and whining. I would trade it in in a heartbeat except the resale value is pathetic. It's worth about a third of what I paid for it just 2 years ago. Ford, you really disappointed me with this one!