Used 2005 Ford Freestyle SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestyle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

Bad Tranmissions
By sassybob

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Like many who have commented on this site, my 2005 Freestyle CVT transmission failed at 56, 500 mile. The dealership stated they cannot fix the transmission because Ford doesn't make parts anymore, resulting in replacing the transmission at a cost of $5800.00. Ford Corporate has washed their hands on this matter and will not accept any responsibility, so we are faced with either parking the car because we don't have $5800.00, or looking into sueing Ford under small claims action. [violative content deleted]

Nothing the vechicle is a DUD

Set fire to it

No More Ford's For Me
By Shirley Howard

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my Freestyle when they first hit the showroom, I had been watching them when they first started showing them on their website. I really did like this SUV, It just rolled over to 100,000 miles a week ago. I was planning on driving this for a long time. Then the transmission started messing up and would not change out of low, the tech was going crazy. The dealership informed us it needed a new transmission at the tune of $5910 out the door. That's about what the thing is worth. I have bought my last Ford and I've had several. I would not advise anyone to buy a Ford because they are nothing but junk and they won't stand behind them. Now I know why they only made them for 3 years.

Look, handling, comfort, plenty of room

Should have put a transmission in them that would have lasted.

Freestyle..how about BAD Style
By Unhappy Ford Owner

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Reading the reviews is very enlightening. We bought the car new after having good experiences with Ford Explorers. We have had the same problems as most other people. Multiple brake jobs, rotors replaced, new tires, alignment issues, then there's the transmission. Nothing but problems. Dealer worked on the transmission twice now, first replaced a part, then had to install a completely new transmission. Well guess what transmission is out again, no warranty, no recognition by Ford of their clearly substandard product. Car is sitting in the driveway, useless. Turned off from Ford forever. Way to go Ford, short term gain, lifetime loss.

Buy back all Freestyles, crush em up, spit em out, and make something useful out of them

Need New Transmission
By Abby

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Like others, I also need a new transmission at 88K miles. I have done all the tuneups, oil changes, filters, etc on this vehicle since I purchased it new in 2005. Transmission went out and so did the fuel and water pumps all at the same time. Costs more to repair than the car is worth, and I'm still making payments. Wish Ford would make concessions for these vehicles and help with repair expenses.

Handles well, never a problem with the FWD in the snow or ice, good car for hauling family and their gear.

Heated mirrors, mp3 capability, and, of course, a better transmission!

Good car, made like a tank
By Philippe T.

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Didn't want a minivan but needed lots of space for the expanding family. The driving experience is superb, theres a real feeling of security white driving this car, its very stable. When you take a look around the car, you notice its made strong + lots of protective panels/rubber here and there. Performance is low, but who wants to race a 7 passenger car? Fuel economy is good on the hwy. Its has 70k miles with no major issues. A couple of repair on the suspension but previous owner drove a lot on unpaved roads, so I guess its normal. Generally love this car and recommend it. Saw a couple of internet complaits about tranny prob. I tow a 2000 pound popup tent and its holding up pretty strong.

Big strong parts, you can see the car is made to last. Starts at 1/4 turn at -40 degrees celcius with no problem. My 2007 Escape didn't want to wake up.

Transmission is sluggish in very cold temperatures and takes a few seconds to engage (At any temp.) Maybe the owners who have tranny problems didn't treat they're transmission well. I'm beleve CVT's don't react well if you go reverse and go drive while the car is still backing up...