Used 2006 Ford Freestar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Freestar

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Wish I would have done my research!
By veronicav

2006 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I previously had a 99 Galant which I was happy with but had recently had my third child and needed more space,my fear was to get rid of a car with no problems and get one with PROBLEMS, which has happened. I have a popping noise in the intake which sounds like a frog hopping around and hitting the top and sides, which I've been told by a man who has "been with Ford for 15 years" that it's normal. I also am now having a problem with the van stalling while driving down the road, many things have been checked and no problems found yet! Inside space needs improvement, getting to third row seats is awful my 3 year old daughter who sits back there has to squeeze her way back there. Rethink buying!

Favorite Features

Safety rating are good, which is important, to me being this van is used to drive my 3 children around.

Suggested Improvements

Everything under the hood....Ford has wisely decided to stop making vans, so there will be no improvements, but the seating space and space on the sides to get to the third row is a major issue for me and my children are small, as they grow it will become more of a problem. over all performance.

Freestar
By dale

2006 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I will never buy another Ford product in my life. After buying this van I changed my thought about Ford, we have had nothing but problems with it, in and out of the shop who knows how many time. Has a druming noise coming from the breather they say they can't fix. Problems with the front end, and on and on with this thing. But I see they did circle the problem on the Ford emblem. It should say junk!

Favorite Features

Nice ride.

2006 SEL 4.2
By tarichra4

2006 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We spent 3 months searching for the exact Freestar after having a 99 Explorer Sport. Decided to go with Ford because of styling and our dedication to Ford. Good choice for us. We found the exact van we wanted in Norsea Blue, SEL, bucket 2nd row, DVD, 4.2 engine and 17 inch rims, and just under 36,000 miles. Drove our 93 Escort 4 hours to get it. Very nice van, great exterior styling, better than GM and Chrysler. Ample power for a van, no major problems to date. Only things I notice are rear side defroster doesnt work, rear hatch struts creak in winter, has an exhaust droan right off idle, both side doors rattle over bumps,and a slight speedometer/rpm cluster noise We love it and plan to keep it

Favorite Features

Norsea Blue is beautiful, DVD system, 2nd row buckets, 4.2 engine. Fold down 3rd seat is cool. Parts not too expensive for a newer vehicle, ease of maintenance is a plus. Roomy and comfortable. Exactly the van we were searching for. Very pleased with it. Its a nicely refined Windstar with attitude.

Suggested Improvements

Is there a way to listen to the radio while the DVD is on? I'd like to know. A little too much fragile interior plastic has a few squeaks and rattles. For the price a good vehicle. We plan on driving it to the end of its life as we did our rusted out 93 Escort GT.

Ford Freestar
By TJ Wendel

2006 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

2006 Ford Freestar minivan is a great vehicle. The only problem I have is the bench 2nd row seat. It's only comfortable for kids. Adults are very uncomfortable sitting on it.

Suggested Improvements

Easy to park, is an attractive minivan. Radio/cd player is excellant.

We like this Van!
By Dale

2006 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Having bought a 1995 Windstar 3.8 in 1997, it was tough for us to want to return to Ford for a mini-van. After driving or riding in Toyotas, Dodge & Chrysler, we felt the new Freestars offered the most amenities, nicest ride (smooth) and...after 11 years, Ford would certainly get it right. In my opinion they did. We bought the van used with 33500 miles. Smooth shifting plenty of power with the 4.2 engine. The leather seats and 6 disc CD changer were added nice features. Mileage so far with a combination of highway/town driving has stayed at 21.4 MPG avg. Unfortunately Ford has decided that '07 is the last year for their mini-van...too bad,they have finally made a great mini-van.

Favorite Features

Safety. Dash info panel. Quieter rider than other vans. Quad seats w/armrests. Dual zone heating/cooling. 4.2 L engine

Suggested Improvements

Audio is a little weak for SEL model. As everyone has said...the back seat does not work well with adults. However, having the choice between fold in floor rear seat or comfort...I will take the fold in floor seat any day!...after removing the 100+ lb. rear seat from my '95 Windstar countless times