Used 2006 Ford Freestar SEL Minivan Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Still runs, looks great-Updated on 4/16/2016
By Bill Adams

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The van was purchased in 2011 at 94K miles, and now has 165K on it. It spent its first year as a Hertz rental unit in Hawaii, then as a privately owned vehicle in the Twin Cities area before we bought it. So far there is no body rust, and all features and functions work as they should. It is still almost completely squeak and rattle free, and has a good tight and solid feel overall. Wind noise is a bit below average. Engine, transmission, and exhaust appear to be original and unopened and are working well and not leaking. This is probably the quietest and smoothest shifting AT I have ever owned. The engine burns no oil.

Service and Repairs so far: Routine oil & filter changes with Mobil-1 5W-20 every 6K miles. Had right front wheel bearing replaced at 145K. Pads & rotors (normal wear & tear at 155,000 - DIY). Spark plugs, coil pack, and wires (did it myself at 96K as a preventive measure). Problem with water in PCM connector causing misfiring and error codes (fixed myself by cleaning & sealing connector - no recurrence). New rear shocks at 155K (by myself - easy for a diy-er on this vehicle). New headlight bulbs twice (DIY - no tools needed except possibly a car key). New serpentine belt at 100K as a preventive measure. I have a complete ATF flush/change every 15-20K as a preventive measure - it has paid off in the form of NO transmission problems on 2 other minivans (98 Ford Windstar and 95 Plymouth Voyager) that were notorious for transmission problems. We use it for towing a small utility trailer with no problems, and a 1900 lb. boat plus trailer, which is the max I would want to tow with it. When towing the boat we run it in 3rd. gear if there are any hills at all, and try to run with the A/C off.

Pros: Good crisp handling (for a mini-van), snappy performance w/good passing performance, 6-disc CD player & cornering lights (SEL and Limited only), good heating and A/C, which will freeze you out if you want it to, rear seat folds flat into floor, nice styling, comfortable front seats, good sound system.

Cons: Blind spot to driver's left rear, so-so mileage (18-20 local driving, 21-24 highway), road noise (varies with pavement surface and type of tire, and as a fleet vehicle may not have had as much sound deadening material added when built; fleet delete?), only one switch to operate both rear vent windows, middle seats are heavy and hard to take out or put back in, and middle and rear seats are too low - okay for children and short people, uncomfortable for tall people.

IMO, Ford started out in the mini-van business with a great basic design that attracted many customers at first, and might have grabbed a larger share of that market segment. However, by cutting corners, letting customer care slide, and making ill-advised mechanical changes, they failed to attract and maintain a loyal customer base. Considering that they haven't made Windstar, Freestar, or Mercury Monterey minivans since 2007, there are still quite a few of them on the road, and I know people who like them and who will hate to part with them when they finally wear out. However, early in the program and occasionally thereafter, there was in-the-field debugging that had to be done, and by failing to quickly address the weaknesses, Ford caused the line to die prematurely. IMO. But we really like ours and hope to get about 300K miles out of it, depending on how badly it rusts and future parts availability.

Update - Not much new to report at 176,000 miles. No repairs or service beyond regular maintenance and new tires and a wheel alignment.

06 SEL Freestar 44,000 mile update
By RW

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 06 Freestar van new in October 06. Loved the interior seating arrangements, shoulder and leg room for first and second rows. Third row bench folds flat and is a bit too low when in use. Lots of cargo room when stored though. Engine has lots of torque but has been detuned (4.2 L should give far more then 200 hp).

Great visibility, feels safe and stable. Heater, AC, as well as rear heat and AC are excellent. Good sized fuel tank. Van handled excellent on studded tires when we lived in Alaska for 2 yrs. Very comfortable hwy driving. Lots of cubbyholes for storage.

Interior is mostly plastic, and the fuel economy is only 17 city and 20/21 hwy (all time best 23 hwy). Very tight under the hood making some routine maintenance tough. Overall a great vehicle, too bad its been discontinued.

Glad to own a Freestar with 4.2 litre
By Tony

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Owning a 98 windstar I had decided to remain with Ford due to the great reliability of the windstar. My Freestar with the 4.2 litre is very powerful! Transmission shifting is much more smooth and improved, the 4 disc brake system is superior to the disc and drum system, the traction control and stability control is excellent in the winter months. I have puchased this vehicle used with 56000 Kilometers and the only issue I presently have is a faulty backup sensor, everything else is peachy. The DVD entertainment is worth a million dollars on those long trips with the kids. The ride is smooth, feels solid and powerful when passing on the freeway. My next vehicle will be a Ford again, the Flex.

4.2 Litre engine! ohh yaaahh! Smooth ride, brakes are terrific, roomy interior, maintenance parts as filters, oil changes, brake jobs are inexpensive. 3 zone air conditioning is fantastic with rear overhead vents and control panels, Great DVD entertainment system for the kids, dropped well is handy,

Optional SUPERCHARGER would work wonders!! LOL!! More rear leg room for adults, an all wheel drive, a more modern transmission and twin overhead cam engine, More durable disc brake system, better quality on the original factory tires, better plastic materials for trims, nicer exterior styling.

2006 Ford Freestar Sel 4dr Minivan (4.2L
By Connie Riley

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have 6 grandchildren who travel with us quite frequently. So we have wanted a minivan for quite some time. We purchased this van in January, used w/33,500 mi. and so far it has been great. Very nice van, great exterior, love the Norsea Blue color. I have taken the kids on several outings and trips and there's plenty of room and everyone is comfortable.

Norsea Blue very pretty color. Smooth ride, DVD system, pretty good mileage. This is exactly what I wanted. Very satisfied with it so far.

I would like to know if I can listen to the radio while the kids are watching the DVD system? I haven't been able to figure that out. If someone knows, please let me know. Other than that, I can't think of anything I would change.

2006 SEL 4.2
By tarichra4

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We spent 3 months searching for the exact Freestar after having a 99 Explorer Sport. Decided to go with Ford because of styling and our dedication to Ford. Good choice for us. We found the exact van we wanted in Norsea Blue, SEL, bucket 2nd row, DVD, 4.2 engine and 17 inch rims, and just under 36,000 miles. Drove our 93 Escort 4 hours to get it. Very nice van, great exterior styling, better than GM and Chrysler. Ample power for a van, no major problems to date. Only things I notice are rear side defroster doesnt work, rear hatch struts creak in winter, has an exhaust droan right off idle, both side doors rattle over bumps,and a slight speedometer/rpm cluster noise We love it and plan to keep it

Norsea Blue is beautiful, DVD system, 2nd row buckets, 4.2 engine. Fold down 3rd seat is cool. Parts not too expensive for a newer vehicle, ease of maintenance is a plus. Roomy and comfortable. Exactly the van we were searching for. Very pleased with it. Its a nicely refined Windstar with attitude.

Is there a way to listen to the radio while the DVD is on? I'd like to know. A little too much fragile interior plastic has a few squeaks and rattles. For the price a good vehicle. We plan on driving it to the end of its life as we did our rusted out 93 Escort GT.