Used 2006 Ford Freestar SEL Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

06 SEL Freestar 44,000 mile update
By RW

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 06 Freestar van new in October 06. Loved the interior seating arrangements, shoulder and leg room for first and second rows. Third row bench folds flat and is a bit too low when in use. Lots of cargo room when stored though. Engine has lots of torque but has been detuned (4.2 L should give far more then 200 hp).

Favorite Features

Great visibility, feels safe and stable. Heater, AC, as well as rear heat and AC are excellent. Good sized fuel tank. Van handled excellent on studded tires when we lived in Alaska for 2 yrs. Very comfortable hwy driving. Lots of cubbyholes for storage.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is mostly plastic, and the fuel economy is only 17 city and 20/21 hwy (all time best 23 hwy). Very tight under the hood making some routine maintenance tough. Overall a great vehicle, too bad its been discontinued.

Glad to own a Freestar with 4.2 litre
By Tony

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Owning a 98 windstar I had decided to remain with Ford due to the great reliability of the windstar. My Freestar with the 4.2 litre is very powerful! Transmission shifting is much more smooth and improved, the 4 disc brake system is superior to the disc and drum system, the traction control and stability control is excellent in the winter months. I have puchased this vehicle used with 56000 Kilometers and the only issue I presently have is a faulty backup sensor, everything else is peachy. The DVD entertainment is worth a million dollars on those long trips with the kids. The ride is smooth, feels solid and powerful when passing on the freeway. My next vehicle will be a Ford again, the Flex.

Favorite Features

4.2 Litre engine! ohh yaaahh! Smooth ride, brakes are terrific, roomy interior, maintenance parts as filters, oil changes, brake jobs are inexpensive. 3 zone air conditioning is fantastic with rear overhead vents and control panels, Great DVD entertainment system for the kids, dropped well is handy,

Suggested Improvements

Optional SUPERCHARGER would work wonders!! LOL!! More rear leg room for adults, an all wheel drive, a more modern transmission and twin overhead cam engine, More durable disc brake system, better quality on the original factory tires, better plastic materials for trims, nicer exterior styling.

2006 Ford Freestar Sel 4dr Minivan (4.2L
By Connie Riley

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have 6 grandchildren who travel with us quite frequently. So we have wanted a minivan for quite some time. We purchased this van in January, used w/33,500 mi. and so far it has been great. Very nice van, great exterior, love the Norsea Blue color. I have taken the kids on several outings and trips and there's plenty of room and everyone is comfortable.

Favorite Features

Norsea Blue very pretty color. Smooth ride, DVD system, pretty good mileage. This is exactly what I wanted. Very satisfied with it so far.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to know if I can listen to the radio while the kids are watching the DVD system? I haven't been able to figure that out. If someone knows, please let me know. Other than that, I can't think of anything I would change.

2006 SEL 4.2
By tarichra4

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We spent 3 months searching for the exact Freestar after having a 99 Explorer Sport. Decided to go with Ford because of styling and our dedication to Ford. Good choice for us. We found the exact van we wanted in Norsea Blue, SEL, bucket 2nd row, DVD, 4.2 engine and 17 inch rims, and just under 36,000 miles. Drove our 93 Escort 4 hours to get it. Very nice van, great exterior styling, better than GM and Chrysler. Ample power for a van, no major problems to date. Only things I notice are rear side defroster doesnt work, rear hatch struts creak in winter, has an exhaust droan right off idle, both side doors rattle over bumps,and a slight speedometer/rpm cluster noise We love it and plan to keep it

Favorite Features

Norsea Blue is beautiful, DVD system, 2nd row buckets, 4.2 engine. Fold down 3rd seat is cool. Parts not too expensive for a newer vehicle, ease of maintenance is a plus. Roomy and comfortable. Exactly the van we were searching for. Very pleased with it. Its a nicely refined Windstar with attitude.

Suggested Improvements

Is there a way to listen to the radio while the DVD is on? I'd like to know. A little too much fragile interior plastic has a few squeaks and rattles. For the price a good vehicle. We plan on driving it to the end of its life as we did our rusted out 93 Escort GT.

Ford Freestar
By TJ Wendel

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

2006 Ford Freestar minivan is a great vehicle. The only problem I have is the bench 2nd row seat. It's only comfortable for kids. Adults are very uncomfortable sitting on it.

Suggested Improvements

Easy to park, is an attractive minivan. Radio/cd player is excellant.