Used 2006 Ford Freestar SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

2006 Freestar Transmissions Fail as With '04 '05 '07
By paulflovillaga

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

They all have the same problem: Torque converter shaft shatters, causing instant loss of power, typically in intersections, from a stop.

Favorite Features

Do not buy

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy

transmission failure in 2006
By judysmith43

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

my ford 06 freestar has 55,000 miles. I was pulling out onto a busy street. my transmission stopped working with no warning and I was able to coast to the middle lane. luckily some men helped push me across a lane of very busy traffic where I called a tow truck who took me to a repair shop. the tourque converter was shot and my transmission had to rebuilt and cost almost 3000 dollars. the 2005 and 2004 freestars were recalled for this very same problem, but the 2006s have not. this is inexcuseable and very dangerous. I and my two young passengers could have been seriously injured or killed.

Suggested Improvements

recall 2006 freestar transmission and repair them .

2006 Freestar = Junk
By brokefreestar

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

2006 Freestar has the same failures as the 2004 and 2005 Freestars: Transmission and PCM. Also, leaking coolant and power steering. Purchased from dealer at 53K miles one owner. Head rest bent forward for some strange reason. CD player jammed. Click in right front wheel when backing. Rattling noise in fan during idle. Walked out of the dealer with $5500 positive equity. Now we know why. Junker. Stay away.

Favorite Features

All negated by poor quality vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Never buy Ford. Third lemon in family in three generations.

Transmission Problem
By ersnyder

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

My 2006 Freestart has 120,000 miles on it and I just picked my car up from the shop. I had to get my transmission rebuilt. The mechanic said that it was my torque converter fell apart with lots of metal pieces in my pump and inner workings! Seems like a constant problem!

Wish I would have done my research!
By veronicav

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I previously had a 99 Galant which I was happy with but had recently had my third child and needed more space,my fear was to get rid of a car with no problems and get one with PROBLEMS, which has happened. I have a popping noise in the intake which sounds like a frog hopping around and hitting the top and sides, which I've been told by a man who has "been with Ford for 15 years" that it's normal. I also am now having a problem with the van stalling while driving down the road, many things have been checked and no problems found yet! Inside space needs improvement, getting to third row seats is awful my 3 year old daughter who sits back there has to squeeze her way back there. Rethink buying!

Favorite Features

Safety rating are good, which is important, to me being this van is used to drive my 3 children around.

Suggested Improvements

Everything under the hood....Ford has wisely decided to stop making vans, so there will be no improvements, but the seating space and space on the sides to get to the third row is a major issue for me and my children are small, as they grow it will become more of a problem. over all performance.