2006 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
2006 Freestar Transmissions Fail as With '04 '05 '07
By paulflovillaga on 09/04/13 15:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

They all have the same problem: Torque converter shaft shatters, causing instant loss of power, typically in intersections, from a stop.

transmission failure in 2006
By judysmith43 on 05/19/13 18:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

my ford 06 freestar has 55,000 miles. I was pulling out onto a busy street. my transmission stopped working with no warning and I was able to coast to the middle lane. luckily some men helped push me across a lane of very busy traffic where I called a tow truck who took me to a repair shop. the tourque converter was shot and my transmission had to rebuilt and cost almost 3000 dollars. the 2005 and 2004 freestars were recalled for this very same problem, but the 2006s have not. this is inexcuseable and very dangerous. I and my two young passengers could have been seriously injured or killed.

2006 Freestar = Junk
By brokefreestar on 06/17/12 15:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

2006 Freestar has the same failures as the 2004 and 2005 Freestars: Transmission and PCM. Also, leaking coolant and power steering. Purchased from dealer at 53K miles one owner. Head rest bent forward for some strange reason. CD player jammed. Click in right front wheel when backing. Rattling noise in fan during idle. Walked out of the dealer with $5500 positive equity. Now we know why. Junker. Stay away.

Transmission Problem
By ersnyder on 01/28/12 07:13 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

My 2006 Freestart has 120,000 miles on it and I just picked my car up from the shop. I had to get my transmission rebuilt. The mechanic said that it was my torque converter fell apart with lots of metal pieces in my pump and inner workings! Seems like a constant problem!

Wish I would have done my research!
By veronicav on 03/26/09 06:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I previously had a 99 Galant which I was happy with but had recently had my third child and needed more space,my fear was to get rid of a car with no problems and get one with PROBLEMS, which has happened. I have a popping noise in the intake which sounds like a frog hopping around and hitting the top and sides, which I've been told by a man who has "been with Ford for 15 years" that it's normal. I also am now having a problem with the van stalling while driving down the road, many things have been checked and no problems found yet! Inside space needs improvement, getting to third row seats is awful my 3 year old daughter who sits back there has to squeeze her way back there. Rethink buying!

Freestar
By dale on 01/05/09 23:37 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I will never buy another Ford product in my life. After buying this van I changed my thought about Ford, we have had nothing but problems with it, in and out of the shop who knows how many time. Has a druming noise coming from the breather they say they can't fix. Problems with the front end, and on and on with this thing. But I see they did circle the problem on the Ford emblem. It should say junk!

2006 Ford Freestar
By V. Blondahl on 01/11/07 14:54 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We have approx 5000 Km. on this vehicle as of today. It has spent 10 days in the shop since purchase. The computer has been replaced, a correction for excessive front wheel vibration has been performed, (a steady buzz-like vibration is still felt in the steering wheel). The engine knocks and rattles and rpm fluctuates at idle. We have a 98 Plymouth Voyager with 260,000 Km. that runs smoother and quieter than this new Ford. At approx. 700 Km. we asked for a replacement vehicle, offering to pay a fee for the accumulated mileage; the dealer refused. I completed a customer satisfaction report listing the problems with this vehicle and Ford did not even bother to respond.

excellent value for the money
By JAM on 08/21/06 12:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The 2006 Ford Freestar is a excellent value for the money. Saved about $5000 off price with Ford rebates and dealer incentives. Excellent value for under $20k with SE appearance package, Advance Trac with reverse sensing and dvd entertainment system. The only thing is the 3rd row seat is low to floor. Ok for kids. The interior has great styling and storage space.

For the $$, Couldn't beat it!
By cv2166 on 08/15/06 18:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Stickered for a hair over $30k. DVD, SE Premium Package, Liftgate spoiler, Advancetrac, side canopy airbags,17" alloys, quad seating.... really well equipped. Floor console too ($150 option...kinda steep I think). ANYWAY...rebates, discounts,and plans through work, (company is a supplier to Ford) knocked it down to $19k and change! Yes, it's brand new! Couldn't TOUCH another for that. Rides nice. Like the SIZE. Sits high. Looks nice. Got the Norsea Blue. Pretty!

NICE MINIVAN
By P. M. on 06/28/06 14:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the Freestar 2 weeks ago and took it on a trip to South Texas. Averaged 18 MPG on the trip which is disappointing seeing how it's rated at 24. I expected 20-22. Other than that, I give it a well above average rating.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.