Used 2006 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

2006 Freestar Transmissions Fail as With '04 '05 '07
By paulflovillaga

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

They all have the same problem: Torque converter shaft shatters, causing instant loss of power, typically in intersections, from a stop.

Favorite Features

Do not buy

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy

transmission failure in 2006
By judysmith43

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

my ford 06 freestar has 55,000 miles. I was pulling out onto a busy street. my transmission stopped working with no warning and I was able to coast to the middle lane. luckily some men helped push me across a lane of very busy traffic where I called a tow truck who took me to a repair shop. the tourque converter was shot and my transmission had to rebuilt and cost almost 3000 dollars. the 2005 and 2004 freestars were recalled for this very same problem, but the 2006s have not. this is inexcuseable and very dangerous. I and my two young passengers could have been seriously injured or killed.

Suggested Improvements

recall 2006 freestar transmission and repair them .

2006 Freestar vs 3 boys
By moetzierocks

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We purchase our 2006Ford Freestar used with 45k. We have had one minor and one major repair since then. We had the repair a piece for one of the auto sliding door to work. And we had to replace the entire drivers central console due to the led communication panel failure. I could have lived without it but an odometer is required to pass state inspection. Other than that we love the car. We use it to trailer our 1500 lbs of gear to Cape Cod. The big high torque engine is amazing. Always power to spare. We love the entertainment system with DVD and wireless headsets. The car has plenty of room for even the longest trip. We even have used the trunk as a junior RV for long weekends.

Favorite Features

The engine with tons of torque. Seat Warmers for cold mornings at the bus stop. Folding seats.

2006 Freestar = Junk
By brokefreestar

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

2006 Freestar has the same failures as the 2004 and 2005 Freestars: Transmission and PCM. Also, leaking coolant and power steering. Purchased from dealer at 53K miles one owner. Head rest bent forward for some strange reason. CD player jammed. Click in right front wheel when backing. Rattling noise in fan during idle. Walked out of the dealer with $5500 positive equity. Now we know why. Junker. Stay away.

Favorite Features

All negated by poor quality vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Never buy Ford. Third lemon in family in three generations.

Transmission Problem
By ersnyder

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

My 2006 Freestart has 120,000 miles on it and I just picked my car up from the shop. I had to get my transmission rebuilt. The mechanic said that it was my torque converter fell apart with lots of metal pieces in my pump and inner workings! Seems like a constant problem!