2006 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
2006 Freestar Transmissions Fail as With '04 '05 '07
By paulflovillaga on 09/04/13 15:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

They all have the same problem: Torque converter shaft shatters, causing instant loss of power, typically in intersections, from a stop.

transmission failure in 2006
By judysmith43 on 05/19/13 18:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

my ford 06 freestar has 55,000 miles. I was pulling out onto a busy street. my transmission stopped working with no warning and I was able to coast to the middle lane. luckily some men helped push me across a lane of very busy traffic where I called a tow truck who took me to a repair shop. the tourque converter was shot and my transmission had to rebuilt and cost almost 3000 dollars. the 2005 and 2004 freestars were recalled for this very same problem, but the 2006s have not. this is inexcuseable and very dangerous. I and my two young passengers could have been seriously injured or killed.

2006 Freestar vs 3 boys
By moetzierocks on 01/22/13 19:00 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We purchase our 2006Ford Freestar used with 45k. We have had one minor and one major repair since then. We had the repair a piece for one of the auto sliding door to work. And we had to replace the entire drivers central console due to the led communication panel failure. I could have lived without it but an odometer is required to pass state inspection. Other than that we love the car. We use it to trailer our 1500 lbs of gear to Cape Cod. The big high torque engine is amazing. Always power to spare. We love the entertainment system with DVD and wireless headsets. The car has plenty of room for even the longest trip. We even have used the trunk as a junior RV for long weekends.

2006 Freestar = Junk
By brokefreestar on 06/17/12 15:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

2006 Freestar has the same failures as the 2004 and 2005 Freestars: Transmission and PCM. Also, leaking coolant and power steering. Purchased from dealer at 53K miles one owner. Head rest bent forward for some strange reason. CD player jammed. Click in right front wheel when backing. Rattling noise in fan during idle. Walked out of the dealer with $5500 positive equity. Now we know why. Junker. Stay away.

Transmission Problem
By ersnyder on 01/28/12 07:13 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

My 2006 Freestart has 120,000 miles on it and I just picked my car up from the shop. I had to get my transmission rebuilt. The mechanic said that it was my torque converter fell apart with lots of metal pieces in my pump and inner workings! Seems like a constant problem!

06 SEL Freestar 44,000 mile update
By RW on 09/03/10 10:12 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 06 Freestar van new in October 06. Loved the interior seating arrangements, shoulder and leg room for first and second rows. Third row bench folds flat and is a bit too low when in use. Lots of cargo room when stored though. Engine has lots of torque but has been detuned (4.2 L should give far more then 200 hp).

Good van, the Editor doesn't own one!
By Dwayne on 02/24/10 08:45 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

It rides well, has all the toys, video, triple zone climated control, heated leather, quad seats....cd changer...alloys....oh and the gas pedal doesn't get stuck! Mine Has given me nothing but excellent service! Buy one well maintained..u will find the...sterring culd be a little more precise..it's a mini van.

2006 Freestar Limited (4.2L)
By SuperOldSchool on 01/27/10 19:44 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love this van and it's great family transportation,also very good as a hauler for construction projects. It rides smoothly and has plenty of power. I have 65k on the van. I personally think too many things have gone wrong. Fortunately all covered under warranty: Front brake rotors replaced 2x due to warping. Fuel pump replaced (worked fine but squealed), rear window vent motor replaced, catalytic converter replaced. Funky AdvanceTrak issues sometimes,weatherstrip on windshield was falling off. I know the AX4N trans is known to have major issues so I just hope ours lasts. I do all maintenance myself - full syn fluids, trans every 15k, P/S every year, coolant etc

Glad to own a Freestar with 4.2 litre
By Tony on 05/04/09 22:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Owning a 98 windstar I had decided to remain with Ford due to the great reliability of the windstar. My Freestar with the 4.2 litre is very powerful! Transmission shifting is much more smooth and improved, the 4 disc brake system is superior to the disc and drum system, the traction control and stability control is excellent in the winter months. I have puchased this vehicle used with 56000 Kilometers and the only issue I presently have is a faulty backup sensor, everything else is peachy. The DVD entertainment is worth a million dollars on those long trips with the kids. The ride is smooth, feels solid and powerful when passing on the freeway. My next vehicle will be a Ford again, the Flex.

2006 Ford Freestar Sel 4dr Minivan (4.2L
By Connie Riley on 05/04/09 20:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have 6 grandchildren who travel with us quite frequently. So we have wanted a minivan for quite some time. We purchased this van in January, used w/33,500 mi. and so far it has been great. Very nice van, great exterior, love the Norsea Blue color. I have taken the kids on several outings and trips and there's plenty of room and everyone is comfortable.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.