Used 2005 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Still satisfied
By Family Priorities

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We shopped around quite a bit with all brands of vans at the time, and Ford had the best safety at the time and historically. Safety of GM and Chrysler were unacceptable. Honda's was same as Chrysler, and had history of trans issues. Toyota had brought up their safety to match 5 star, but only more recently, and had history of engine sludge issues. Drives well, comfortable even on long trips, and plenty of room for kids and all associated junk. No major problems up to now. Good gas mileage and surprising performance for something of this weight, which is really what we needed for a double stroller, etc.

MP3 6-CD changer, seats that fold into the floor, lots of room: we hauled a huge amount of bamboo from a nursery several hundred miles away, with the kids in the middle row of seats. It was quite a sight!

Better resale would be nice: it's worth less than half what we paid for it; but we knew when we bought it that vans were going out of style and declining in value. That's why Ford stopped making them. We plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, so it really doesn't matter.

From 1998 Windstar to 2005 Freestar
By Brian

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Since 2001, I had a 1998 Ford Windstar with 3.8Liter. after being fed up with 1998 Ford Windstar with blown head gasket which the coolant level keeps going down and I had transmission replaced prior in 2007 for 1998. Since January 2nd 2009, I had to trade in for a 2005 Ford Freestar which it was available at the dealer. The 2005 version is lot better and big improvements over the 1998 version. However, I noticed that the 2005 version is 1200 lbs heavier than the 1998. But it feels very stable ride, except the fuel mileage. I am getting around 19 - 20 mpg even though it stated for 24 mpg. I use the vehicle mainly for my work and carrying loads once in a while and also do some towing.

DVD player even though I have not had an opportunity to sit throughout watching movies yet. I am the only driver driving the vehicle.

Need better mileage, possibility 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission and reduce weight for gas mileage. AWD would be great for the vehicle.

Great van
By 1lap2go

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Have enjoyed this van as it's the 3rd Ford Windstar/Freestar van we have owned. I do get over 20mpg with this van if you don't use ethanol gas. Enjoy the "van" room but do not think I need that much room anymore, besides everyone thinks you should drive cuz you have so much room. This van has been troublefree like my previous vans. Haven't had to walk yet.

No problems with it all. The wife likes it cuz you get a good view.

Back seats could have a little more comfort to them as they tend to be basic comfort seats for the most part.

By Louise

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have had our van a month and love it! It is actually fun to drive! We have plenty of room and there is a DVD player for our grandkids!! If you're looking for a sporty reliable van this is the one to get!

DVD player, back-up sensor

What I Like About My Van
By Ginger

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I love driving this vehicle. It is comfortable and easy to park. I find that my gas mileage is about 22 mpg. on the freeway and slightly less in town. Most of my driving is work related and I have more than enough cargo space. I have never had any problems mechanically, as I am very careful following the manufacturers service instructions.

I enjoy riding higher than a car but not as big as a truck. I love the keyless entry and it fits just about any parking place, which is important for city driving.

I would like Ford to continue manufacturing them. I don't think they have been marketed properly. An all wheel drive version would be a nice feature when going to the snow. I would also beef up the rear suspension just a bit.