Used 2005 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

A capable people hauler
By Steve May

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

No, this is not a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna - both of them IMO are overpriced and you might as well as go for the Korean vans then. The FORD is a capable, SAFE, comfortable and quiet people hauler. It has sufficient room and handles fine. It feels and drives built solid! The steering is good and the brakes are strong. The motor is quiet and is plenty of torque whether it's loaded or not - 4.2L will do that. And yes, it does not get 20 mpg in town but the engine barely works to get the job done.....that means a long life providing it's taken care of. We have a friends with an 4.0L AERO STAR with 190K on it...going strong! A good van and a good deal!

Favorite Features

SAFETY RATINGS! Quiet ride. Solid built Airbags galore Adjustable pedals - my wife is 5 2 power doors. A good deal!

Suggested Improvements

The seat cushions could be a bit higher in the back but for kids they are just fine. Independant suspension would be nice but then an axle is good for loads and towing. Gas mileage is

Don't Buy A Freestar Van
By Found On Road Dead

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Don't buy a Freestar van. Strict with Honda or Toyota vans. This is my last Ford. This van orginal cost was $30K. It cost me $3,000 to get this van fixed with only 40K miles and I still have problems.

Favorite Features

This was a 2005 SEL model, top of the line interior and accessories. The only positive feature I have found.

Suggested Improvements

Front Wheel Transmission Failure. Ford needs to recall these lemons

Still satisfied
By Family Priorities

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We shopped around quite a bit with all brands of vans at the time, and Ford had the best safety at the time and historically. Safety of GM and Chrysler were unacceptable. Honda's was same as Chrysler, and had history of trans issues. Toyota had brought up their safety to match 5 star, but only more recently, and had history of engine sludge issues. Drives well, comfortable even on long trips, and plenty of room for kids and all associated junk. No major problems up to now. Good gas mileage and surprising performance for something of this weight, which is really what we needed for a double stroller, etc.

Favorite Features

MP3 6-CD changer, seats that fold into the floor, lots of room: we hauled a huge amount of bamboo from a nursery several hundred miles away, with the kids in the middle row of seats. It was quite a sight!

Suggested Improvements

Better resale would be nice: it's worth less than half what we paid for it; but we knew when we bought it that vans were going out of style and declining in value. That's why Ford stopped making them. We plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, so it really doesn't matter.

From 1998 Windstar to 2005 Freestar
By Brian

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Since 2001, I had a 1998 Ford Windstar with 3.8Liter. after being fed up with 1998 Ford Windstar with blown head gasket which the coolant level keeps going down and I had transmission replaced prior in 2007 for 1998. Since January 2nd 2009, I had to trade in for a 2005 Ford Freestar which it was available at the dealer. The 2005 version is lot better and big improvements over the 1998 version. However, I noticed that the 2005 version is 1200 lbs heavier than the 1998. But it feels very stable ride, except the fuel mileage. I am getting around 19 - 20 mpg even though it stated for 24 mpg. I use the vehicle mainly for my work and carrying loads once in a while and also do some towing.

Favorite Features

DVD player even though I have not had an opportunity to sit throughout watching movies yet. I am the only driver driving the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Need better mileage, possibility 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission and reduce weight for gas mileage. AWD would be great for the vehicle.

Great van
By 1lap2go

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Have enjoyed this van as it's the 3rd Ford Windstar/Freestar van we have owned. I do get over 20mpg with this van if you don't use ethanol gas. Enjoy the "van" room but do not think I need that much room anymore, besides everyone thinks you should drive cuz you have so much room. This van has been troublefree like my previous vans. Haven't had to walk yet.

Favorite Features

No problems with it all. The wife likes it cuz you get a good view.

Suggested Improvements

Back seats could have a little more comfort to them as they tend to be basic comfort seats for the most part.