2005 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
Transmission issue
By tster1 on 05/23/13 09:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

there is a well documented transmission/cruise/torque converter/PCM relationship issue I have experienced. Tranny blew and dealer says not torque converter to blame. It was a sudden and catastrophic failure.

more Ford Junk
By Mark Danico on 07/10/10 14:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Loved the van until the problems started then it has been all down hill from there to the poit to where we are considering turning it in to a plant pot cause it don't move anymore.

A capable people hauler
By Steve May on 12/27/09 06:53 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

No, this is not a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna - both of them IMO are overpriced and you might as well as go for the Korean vans then. The FORD is a capable, SAFE, comfortable and quiet people hauler. It has sufficient room and handles fine. It feels and drives built solid! The steering is good and the brakes are strong. The motor is quiet and is plenty of torque whether it's loaded or not - 4.2L will do that. And yes, it does not get 20 mpg in town but the engine barely works to get the job done.....that means a long life providing it's taken care of. We have a friends with an 4.0L AERO STAR with 190K on it...going strong! A good van and a good deal!

Don't Buy A Freestar Van
By Found On Road Dead on 11/26/09 16:19 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Don't buy a Freestar van. Strict with Honda or Toyota vans. This is my last Ford. This van orginal cost was $30K. It cost me $3,000 to get this van fixed with only 40K miles and I still have problems.

From 1998 Windstar to 2005 Freestar
By Brian on 06/08/09 13:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Since 2001, I had a 1998 Ford Windstar with 3.8Liter. after being fed up with 1998 Ford Windstar with blown head gasket which the coolant level keeps going down and I had transmission replaced prior in 2007 for 1998. Since January 2nd 2009, I had to trade in for a 2005 Ford Freestar which it was available at the dealer. The 2005 version is lot better and big improvements over the 1998 version. However, I noticed that the 2005 version is 1200 lbs heavier than the 1998. But it feels very stable ride, except the fuel mileage. I am getting around 19 - 20 mpg even though it stated for 24 mpg. I use the vehicle mainly for my work and carrying loads once in a while and also do some towing.

By Louise on 06/12/08 22:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have had our van a month and love it! It is actually fun to drive! We have plenty of room and there is a DVD player for our grandkids!! If you're looking for a sporty reliable van this is the one to get!

Freestar transmission failure
By last_ford on 10/04/07 12:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have an 05' Ford Freestar the rear brakes went bad after 22,000 miles and now at 37000 miles the transmission has had an "internal failure" of the fluid pump resulting in the need for a new transmission for $3500. The mechanic at Ford (with 22 years experience) has never seen this before, yet Ford will not cover the repair because it is 1200 miles over the bumper-to-bumper warranty. The main reason why Ford does not increase their warranty to 5years/60,000 miles is beacuse most of their vehicles would not make it that long without some type of failure. Ford Motor Co has refused to help and so has the dealer-very frustrated-WILL NEVER BUY FORD AGAIN and neither should anyone else.

Fords make me uneasy
By Dale on 02/07/07 06:25 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the minivan because it works for my daughter in a wheel chair but I am concerned. The electric locks only work half the time and the front heater has cut out once. In both cases Ford repaired the problem under waranty but I hope once the 60,000ks are up I will not have many more problems. If buying new, don't buy the toys - they are only a nightmare. Poor gas mileage but nice and roomy. Runs nice.

Love my Freestar
By Fred on 11/10/06 15:10 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Ford van...a real power van that has you up and going quickly. Gas mileage isn't up to our expectations.

Great Family-Mobile
By truckboy1 on 08/29/05 16:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My family loves this van, and visitors and guests love the comfort of the ride compared to my previous BMW sedan. Plenty of room when relatives ride along, and it has not let us down yet when it comes to reliability. My visiting parents commented how impressed they were with the quality of this Ford. My father had previously sworn-off Fords after his earlier fiasco with his Mustang decades ago.