2005 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
Transmission issue
By tster1 on 05/23/13 09:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

there is a well documented transmission/cruise/torque converter/PCM relationship issue I have experienced. Tranny blew and dealer says not torque converter to blame. It was a sudden and catastrophic failure.

Love it!
By Randy on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love this van. It gets good gas mileage (23 mpg) and is very comfortable. I just drove it on a 1000 mile trip and had a blast!

Owner
By charles gillespie on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a good experience for me. The only problem I've had was the transmission quit at about 82,000 miles and it cost me 1,800 to rebuild I have talked to other owners with the same problem. They should call a recall. I have saved my repair bill. I am a senior citizen and had to borrow money to have it fixed. But I love the van.

more Ford Junk
By Mark Danico on 07/10/10 14:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Loved the van until the problems started then it has been all down hill from there to the poit to where we are considering turning it in to a plant pot cause it don't move anymore.

Nice people hauler
By 3kids&adog on 06/22/10 20:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van used with about 17,000 miles. It has cloth bench seats and an optional factory overhead DVD player. Has been quite reliable so far. Now has 113,000 or so miles, and has developed a bit of a miss, maybe even transmission shudder, but the dealer says it just need a tune up. Good value, I'll post again after the tune-up.

A capable people hauler
By Steve May on 12/27/09 06:53 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

No, this is not a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna - both of them IMO are overpriced and you might as well as go for the Korean vans then. The FORD is a capable, SAFE, comfortable and quiet people hauler. It has sufficient room and handles fine. It feels and drives built solid! The steering is good and the brakes are strong. The motor is quiet and is plenty of torque whether it's loaded or not - 4.2L will do that. And yes, it does not get 20 mpg in town but the engine barely works to get the job done.....that means a long life providing it's taken care of. We have a friends with an 4.0L AERO STAR with 190K on it...going strong! A good van and a good deal!

Don't Buy A Freestar Van
By Found On Road Dead on 11/26/09 16:19 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Don't buy a Freestar van. Strict with Honda or Toyota vans. This is my last Ford. This van orginal cost was $30K. It cost me $3,000 to get this van fixed with only 40K miles and I still have problems.

Still satisfied
By Family Priorities on 09/23/09 06:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We shopped around quite a bit with all brands of vans at the time, and Ford had the best safety at the time and historically. Safety of GM and Chrysler were unacceptable. Honda's was same as Chrysler, and had history of trans issues. Toyota had brought up their safety to match 5 star, but only more recently, and had history of engine sludge issues. Drives well, comfortable even on long trips, and plenty of room for kids and all associated junk. No major problems up to now. Good gas mileage and surprising performance for something of this weight, which is really what we needed for a double stroller, etc.

From 1998 Windstar to 2005 Freestar
By Brian on 06/08/09 13:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Since 2001, I had a 1998 Ford Windstar with 3.8Liter. after being fed up with 1998 Ford Windstar with blown head gasket which the coolant level keeps going down and I had transmission replaced prior in 2007 for 1998. Since January 2nd 2009, I had to trade in for a 2005 Ford Freestar which it was available at the dealer. The 2005 version is lot better and big improvements over the 1998 version. However, I noticed that the 2005 version is 1200 lbs heavier than the 1998. But it feels very stable ride, except the fuel mileage. I am getting around 19 - 20 mpg even though it stated for 24 mpg. I use the vehicle mainly for my work and carrying loads once in a while and also do some towing.

Great van
By 1lap2go on 03/02/09 13:28 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Have enjoyed this van as it's the 3rd Ford Windstar/Freestar van we have owned. I do get over 20mpg with this van if you don't use ethanol gas. Enjoy the "van" room but do not think I need that much room anymore, besides everyone thinks you should drive cuz you have so much room. This van has been troublefree like my previous vans. Haven't had to walk yet.