2004 Ford Freestar Consumer Review: Transmission Problems

2004 Ford Freestar - Consumer Review

Transmission Problems
By G.D. Henderson on

2004 Ford Freestar S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The car has been good, except when it stranded me and my family in a remote stretch of Texas road when the transmission suddenly failed without any warning whatsoever. Turns out it was the faulty spline design of the torque converter, where the splines (gear type teeth) stripped out. Cost wss over $1200.00 for repair, $300.00 rental car and $200 towing - plus missing a family Labor Day gathering at my mothers. After reading of the huge number of transmission failures on this vehicle on other web sites, I now question the reliability of this vehicle and may shift over from Fords. Being a registered Mechanical Engineer, I know how important reliability is, especially for your family.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, large gas tank (26 Gal, can go over 500 miles), good load capacity. Car has 93K miles, so overall, not to bad except for the transmission.

Suggested Improvements

More robustly designed transmission components, better design of rotors - they warp, causing vibration when braking; & better design of EGR valve - had to replace one myself where part cost $200 from Ford.