Used 2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Life Saver
By Susan

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is a VERY safe van. I was in an accident and totaled my van this past Saturday. To say the least, the van is a mangled mess and is missing three wheels. The frame is a pretzel, but my children and I were completely safe! We were able to climb out the driver's door (the only working door) and were unharmed. This van did it's job...it kept my kids safe. I am looking to purchase this van again because I do feel safe driving my children inside of it.

Safety! Airbags deployed and deflated quickly. Crumple zones held up beautifully. Windshield broke, but stayed in tact.

Automatic lumbar - not manual...breaks too often and is expensive to be reset.

Like My Freestar
By Like My Freestar

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased my Freestar Used from a dealer. Have owned Grand Caravans and Voyagers in the past. I LOVED the Freestar at first-then it wore off down to I really LIKE it! It has been very reliable in the past 18 months, never a repair or problem. It is fairly comfortable except for my teenage son who is medium-tall and can't get his legs comfortable anywhere in the back. That being said, The van is dependable and versatile. We have hauled lumber and pets, loaded it down to go camping. I would probably go back to Grand Caravan if looking for another minivan

Heat/AC, Defrosting very quick; Cruise Control works great on trips; Starts right up even when below zero outside.

Engine is a bit sluggish going up steep hills and can handle like a truck on sharp turns. MORE LEG ROOM in back!

Love my Freestar
By JesY

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I have read so many complaints about this van and I am shocked. I bought my van used 3 years ago with 15,000 miles on it and now I have 65,000 miles. I love everything about it. I will probably drive it until the wheels fall off. We have recently replaced the tires and the brakes. We have taken several trips to other states and the gas mileage has been good. My husband and I have owned all Fords except one vehicle and will continue to be loyal Ford owners.

Folding rear seat. Kid friendly. Comfortable seating. Roomy interior.

Poor braking
By Rbndawn

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it with 23000 mi. I just spent $400 on brake parts only and noticed some improvement but still I'm not satisfied. Seemed like the system is undersized for the vehicle weight. As far as comfort is very good and the power is just enough for its size with the small 6 cyl. My first and my last Freestar.

Comfort and room are a plus great for long trips.

Braking system needs improvement.

Ford needs to step up!
By m_a_t_47362

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We got our Freestar in October of 2004. We were told it was new and that only the dealer had drove it. We ended up paying full brand new price, when it had over 16,000 miles on it. We get it home and immediately started seeing problems. The side mirror had been glued on, the door handle on the back gate kept coming off, we was supposed to had a bumper to bumper warranty on it, but when I took it in to get handle put back on we was told it would cost us a minimum of $300 just to get it looked at! There is something wrong with all the wiring, it dies all the time, door locks won't work, and driver window won't roll down. Engine light stays on, and brakes and tires can't last long on front end. All in all this is not a good vehicle. Do not buy!

Not a thing

Recall the Freestar line, and give people their money back. The vehicle is unsafe, and costly all around. Is not roomy, back seats are only four inches off floor. It is hard to get back seat to re lock in position if laid down. The driver seat has always had a spring or something pocking through, making it painful on a persons back.