2004 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
Not comfortable
By AMYin New York on 05/29/06 21:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle with 12,000 miles on it it; presently has 45,000. The shocks and struts need replacing, the front end makes noise. The buttons for the factory radio chipped its paint. The bumper paint is chipping off and the other day I attempted to open my rear door and the handle fell off for no reason. 3rd row seat is VERY uncomfortable and absolutely no leg room, my alarm battery died and I found out that Ford dealerships must "reprogram" my remote after every battery change at a cost of $89.00 - what a RIPOFF! Other than that so far the engine runs strong and the van has a good amount of pickup but it costs me presently $80 to fill it up with regular gas at the pumps.

Comfort and fun all in one
By J Weaver on 02/10/06 14:12 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great vehicle that is adaptable for all our lifestyle necessities and desires. While providing functionality it also affords comfort no mater what the age.

Great So Far
By Craig on 01/19/06 21:44 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van a month ago and have put about 3000 miles on it. Absolutely love it. Quiet ride, great highway gas mileage. Glad I bought the Ford over a Toyota or Honda. Third seat that folds into the floor is awesome, just as good as stow and go.

Our Last Ford
By vcp on 12/13/05 15:22 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is without a doubt our last Ford. Thank goodness we have an out to turn this thing in after 36 months. It has been a headache. The electric sliding doors don't close properly. It's been at various dealers 3 times and has to go back again. The traction control light came on for no reason and the dealer had to fix it twice. This car also is built terribly. The materials are at best 2nd rate. The service is another issue, Three dealers cannot get this car right. I've had it. Our Last Ford!

Ford Freestar Review
By Gerard on 12/05/05 13:37 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have not had any problems with this van in the 1 1/2 years that I have owned it. It drives great, handles well, great performance. It's fairly comfortable, and it's very easy to operate the fold-down seats.

Solid but spartan Minivan
By Ken on 09/17/05 10:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This is my Fleet Vehicle for work; provided new after having driven the Windstar for a year. I LOVED the Windstar features, the Freestar was a downgrade for interior comfort, in my opinion. I do 35,000 miles per year, mostly highway driving, so the interior is important to me for 10 hours per week. In short, the seat design was uncomfortable; especially the angle of the immovable headrest for a 6'-3" head. The thin plastic interior paneling felt and looked like polyethylene Tupperware. Reliability, mileage, exterior styling were excellent. I have the original brakes, tires and only normal maintenance is required.

Excellent car that feels safe to drive.
By MagicMarv on 09/05/05 20:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Big but not too big. Comfortable and great sound system. Low road noise. Great acceleration and more.

Try again
By Chad on 09/01/05 22:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I will never own another FORD again. Where do I start. The motor is flat and lifeless, the transmission is sloppy with bad programming; no wonder it gets terrible gas mileage (18-20mpg highway). The brakes are soft, the carpet is cheap, the rear is noisy on the highway, the rear floor is more uneven than my lawn. After spending 6 months with it and reading additional reviews, I realize I made a bid mistake buying this van. It is the highest cost to own minivan out there. I would not recommend it to anyone. Save your money and buy something good.

I Love My Freestar
By Noreen Sutphen on 07/25/05 10:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We are in our 70's and have never had a van, but we are enjoying the Freestar very much, and find it very comfortable, and easy to handle, with fairly good gas mileage. We have had 2 Explorers, but the Freestar is much more comfortable, and fun to drive, and the roomy interior is a real plus, as I am on oxygen so we can carry all my equipment and still have lots of space. It is also great for traveling with our 4 year old grandson, and our new puppy, a Bichon Frise.

So far, so good
By mom of 2 on 07/04/05 18:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I dreaded moving from my Subaru to a minivan, but I love my Freestar! Bought it used (it was a corporate lease) and saved about $15,000 off new price. The 4.2 liter engines gives me plenty of power and considering the size of the vehicle, I'm not unhappy with the fuel economy. I've gotten about 18 mph so far. I like the feeling that I'm driving the vehicle, it's not driving me, like with the Caravan and Sienna I tested. I will buy an extended warranty just in case. Time will tell.