2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
poor and unrelieable
By Tara Burns on 09/10/07 08:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Cargo Van 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

everything is breaking, mirrors, heat seats, doors, transmissions, wheel problems that the dealer wont' fix.

Reliable van
By nymetfan on 07/19/07 13:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Engine is a bit crude, gas mileage is poor (16-18 mpg), but it has been a reliable, reasonably comfortable, safe family vehicle. Not a single mechanical failure in the 60000 miles we've driven it, and it now has 85000 miles on it. A refreshing change in reliability from our 97 Caravan.

Very nice van
By Jakers on 07/07/07 21:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van after owning many Chrysler vans and like this one much better, has ample power, lots of options and no problems after 55,000 miles (90000 kilometers). Added the center analog clock and it dressed up the interior.

Quality?
By Frank on 06/06/07 15:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used, presently has 45,000. The brakes squeal and we were told twice that there is no problem. My wife went out of town and attempted to open my rear door and the handle fell off for no reason. The engine runs strong and the van has a good amount of pickup. The mileage could be better. This is a step down from the Windstar we had to replace due to an accident. You could make a better choice.

Bad brakes
By cskline34 on 03/02/07 19:11 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this for two years, was looking for something reliable for the family. Had to replace the rear pad at 45,000 and I can't get the rear calipers to compress, even with the tool to turn the piston. In short they are cheap crap. I have the 4.2 engine which has plenty of power and makes it fun to drive. The interior is very low cost feeling though. My biggest complaint is the brakes on this van. They are just unacceptable and will have me selling it as soon as I replace the calipers.

Very Happy
By Bri66 on 02/27/07 23:02 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We drove last summer to Yellowstone. Handled very well both on side roads and highway. Pushed it hard for several days driving and found it very comfortable to drive.

Way too many electrical problems!
By Tommy on 02/15/07 13:51 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

It drove great for the first 2 years. In August of 2006 we took it in to have routine maintenance and it has never been the same. It has had too many electrical problems to list as well as having to replace the transmission. Out of the past 6 months, I have only driven it about 2 weeks. The rest of the time it has been in the shop. I hope I get a new vehicle or they give me the replacement value on it for another vehicle. I am the grandson of a former lifetime Ford employee and have been a devout Ford buyer. This has really made me upset. I just hope they do the right thing. It is even worse because I am in the military and this is my wife's vehicle. It has made my life miserable!

I love my van.
By Very Satisfied on 01/22/07 19:25 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My family of four purchased our Freestar in 2003. We have throughly enjoyed owning it. We have taken several trips and in 40,000 miles we are extremely satisfied. We followed our son's football team all over the state of IL in it. The rear tail gate and fold down rear seat work great. The sliding doors have been a life saver with our 2 year old.

Great Van
By Rob R. on 12/25/06 15:17 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 98' Windstar previously- Freestar has a much better interior, much smoother shifting transmission but gets worse city mileage. I have never had the van back to the dealer for any warranty repairs in more than two and a half years of driving - an excellent reliability performance!

First Van
By escofam on 11/11/06 01:44 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Went and looked at Toyota and Honda to compare the Freestar and there was no comparison. The Freestar had better safety features and a much better price. I was a little concerned about handling as the Freestar replaced a Taurus wagon but after our first trip the fear was gone. The van handles wonderfully with the optional 17" wheels. First vacation trip was with 5 adults and although the mileage was around 22 mpg the van pulled the hills effortlessly with the load. It was actually fun to drive and made the trip very comfortable. Since then it has made many more trips and I look forward to the trips.