2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
Nannie's van
By nannieb43 on 04/07/08 14:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've enjoyed driving and hauling with this vehicle for 4 yrs. Because of distance from town and present gas prices, I'm looking for a hybrid to replace it. I will miss the roominess and ability to haul almost anything I need.

Junk
By padge24 on 03/26/08 21:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Torque converter failed at 40,000 miles. Brakes are a constant issue, poor design. Gas mileage is worse than most other minivans. Save your money and look at a different brand of van. I have owned a Ford Escort, Taurus, Ranger p/u, Explorer and currently also drive an F150 p/u. I don't have any complaints with any of those vehicles but the Freestar is a piece of junk. Hope I was clear.

Bought this brand new falling apart
By momma2 on 02/18/08 12:27 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this since my husband is an employee of Ford and we do everything suppose to change oil etc. Our warranty was up and that day our fuel gage went we got a fuel comm error not found on the manual called around to get prices Ford dealership wants to charge me 400 for diagnostic test not including to fix it. The traction control has a mind on its own works sometimes. I have a honda too its a 97 and we haven't had this many problems. I wanted to buy Ford since my husband works for them but We are already thinking about getting rid of it . They need to recall them!!!

Flaw in brake cylinder design
By Israel Barbosa on 02/06/08 21:27 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle is not that good when negotiating a sharp, vehicle leans too much. Rear brake calipers cost me $499.00 they have to be replaced if they extend to far out. Was told by a large reputable brake company, that the caliper is poorly designed and this problem happens frequently with two Ford vans: the Freestar and the Freestyle. the company should address this flaw and replace them with a system that doesn't cost the consumer hundreds to replace Fords poorly designed rear brake system. looking forward to hear something from the Ford company, i'm tempted to inform consumer report, the media etc, etc. Also had to have my 6 cd player changed the disc were getting jammed.

Not a soccer mom
By Ontoni on 02/02/08 23:20 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I'm not a soccer mom but i have two teens and a big dog. this vehicle fits the bill. comfort, smooth ride and space. It may not be the fastest thing on the road but it will cruise up to 70 and you'll not even know how you got there.

Get an Import!
By DIsappointed on 02/01/08 14:10 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have had this for two years and have been to the shop numerous times. The handle on the rear door has fallen off three times, for no reason at all. Since the dealership cannot fix it right, my husband has finally just bolted it to work and stay on. We also have had the radio/CD/Tape console replaced. The mileage could be better. The third row seat can only comfortably seat 3 kids. As I write this, it is broken down at the bus stop and I had to haul my 5 & 3 year old home in the rain! I have owned Hondas since 1992 and decided to take a chance on this Ford due to the great price. Sometimes you get what you pay for! Take my advice, buy the Honda. I know I will next time.

Nice van for the money
By Stephen on 12/15/07 14:46 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought our 2004 Ford Freestar Limited after several months of researching several brands of minivans. Our van is completely loaded and has the Advance Trac and traction control.

Ford Freefall
By jgenovese on 12/06/07 18:17 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

transmission failed at 45000 miles without warning. The vehicle was impeccably maintained. The failure was not do to neglect or abuse. Of course, this was after the warranty was up, (barely), so Ford is hanging us out to dry. So much for rewarding customer loyalty. (This was the 9th new Ford I have bought in 23 years.)

Alright Van
By portoluri on 09/26/07 18:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

It is big inside and the captain's chairs and double open doors work well with a 2 yr old and newborn. I have had problems with the sliding doors sticking, and he brakes you practically have to put your foot to the floor to stop, and when at the shop they say there's nothing wrong w/the brakes, and I always have a vibrating steering wheel, which they say the car just needs to "warm up". I had an SUV before and get about the same gas mileage as I did with that for city 15-18 miles, w/gas at over $3 a gallon, it's very expensive! The paint has chipped off from the radio controls, Overall, there is a lot of space and rides nice. Don't know if I would buy another van or Ford van again.

My 2004 Ford Freestar Van
By Al Hudgens on 09/21/07 21:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Always wanted a van and purchased this to help my Mom move from Calif to Washington State and it performed great on the mountain highways. Plenty of room. Scheduled services priced way lower than my experience with a Honda Accord. Road noise is my only complaint.