Used 2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

nice, but not nice
By mechanics dream

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Lots of problems, (new) rack, air conditioning, power steering pump, wheel bearing, power window, (drivers side), rear power latch (twice), goes through tires, now it is pinging like the timing is off, but, it looks good and is comfortable on the highway, reading about the transmission problems, please I hope I dont have this problem,

I like it more than my montana van, that was a horror story.

ford should help with these problems, as lots of freestar owners have the same problems

BAD TRANSMISSION
By Tina

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

My transmission went out at 50,000 miles without any warning. I was nearly hit as there was no shoulder to pull over to. I was accelerating around a corner then absoultely nothing. Without proof of transmission service at exactly no more than 30999 miles warrantee is void. NO transmission should go out at 50000 miles, yet Ford is not recalling this problem. Shame on you Ford. Never again.

Poor components
By Dr. Gonzo

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought van new. Main problems have been with poor components. Examples: Have had to replace both front power window motors, driver seat heater, driver seat adjustment motor, and 6CD/radio has been replaced TWICE, fuel pump died on the highway at 60K. Fortunately no problems with engine/transmission; not even leaking/burning oil with almost 90K on it. Poor fuel economy as I can only get to 18mpg on highway. I've owned Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Mazda and Hyundai and this will likely be the last domestic vehicle I ever own.

Safety features (airbags/curtains, stability control, antilock brakes), fold flat rear seat, cargo capacity.

Need to get better parts from suppliers.

Transmission Problems
By G.D. Henderson

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The car has been good, except when it stranded me and my family in a remote stretch of Texas road when the transmission suddenly failed without any warning whatsoever. Turns out it was the faulty spline design of the torque converter, where the splines (gear type teeth) stripped out. Cost wss over $1200.00 for repair, $300.00 rental car and $200 towing - plus missing a family Labor Day gathering at my mothers. After reading of the huge number of transmission failures on this vehicle on other web sites, I now question the reliability of this vehicle and may shift over from Fords. Being a registered Mechanical Engineer, I know how important reliability is, especially for your family.

Smooth ride, large gas tank (26 Gal, can go over 500 miles), good load capacity. Car has 93K miles, so overall, not to bad except for the transmission.

More robustly designed transmission components, better design of rotors - they warp, causing vibration when braking; & better design of EGR valve - had to replace one myself where part cost $200 from Ford.

2004 Ford Freestar
By nadineb

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Worst vehicle that I have every owned. Feared for my safety in this vehicle. I would not recommend it to anyone. I will not purchase another Ford vehicle ever again because of having such a bad experience with this vehicle. Review NHTSA site for numerous complaints.

storaway back seat

Fix the safety issues with the vehicle. The PCM and the transmission need to be totally replaced.