2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
F-O-R-D
By brian on 01/07/09 22:32 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in July 04, dealer replaced front brakes due to a defect at 10k, no problems until 38k when transmission blew seal. Cost 1700 at independent trans mechanic since it was at holiday. Brought faulty seals to dealer, they replied "you should of brought vehicle in to us and got an estimate" Would of gotten gouged for sure my opinion. Plan on driving it to the junkyard. How can sticker on this plastic monster be 27k, got it after rebates for 17k and worth 4k 5 years later? Brakes squeak, and I put so much time into shims and anti-rattle compound. Don't let dealer put another Ford trans in your vehicle, let someone rebuild it with new seals. Why invite the same trouble twice?

A major disappointment
By skihighdj on 12/17/08 22:13 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

There is a serious mechanical design flaw that has been undiagnosed. Do your research! It is sickening to see how many people have had problems with these minivans breaking down. Some think it is transmission, others some sort of electrical problem. At any rate, it is not a safe situation! I loved my van, I just wish someone could make it run right. I traded in my Jeep Grand Cherokee (which I would give rave reviews for) something newer that I could rely on. I should have kept my Jeep and fixed it when it broke. At least I wouldn't be paying a monthly payment and full coverage insurance while I was sinking money that I don't have in to it!

Poor ratings
By shocked 1 on 11/18/08 12:19 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

In short, 3 years owner of 2004 Ford van, Freestar. No warning, trans quit! No safety recall? It's a major safety when you're in middle of a freeway and van litterally stops pulling! Come on Ford, own up. We're 60 & 70, can't just go & buy new car! Ford wants a loan, but won't help fellow customers over bad workmanship? Poor, poor bussines. Never will our families or friends buy Ford!

Problems from day 1
By LynnK on 11/04/08 12:52 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased it as a Ford Certified vehicle and the front end has always "smoked", my door locks don't work every time, the side mirrors do not work electronically now, the car has always had intermittent "jerking" at around 45 mph, replacing brakes was a chore, caliper would not compress, now my power steering is having issues, can't remove rear captain's chairs. When I took it in because of a transmission leaked early on, they told me nothing is wrong, only replaced seals. Did not fix problem. Gas mileage horrible, also have an Avalanche and that gets better gas mileage. Traded in Mustang for this? I do not expect a 4 year old vehicle to have this many problems.

Don't bother
By Jennifer on 11/03/08 20:32 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We have had several problems with our Freestar. It was in the shop for over 3 weeks for the brake, ABS and battery light being on. It had a leak on the front passenger floor, they claim the fire wall was not sealed correctly. It is still leaking, as well as some where in the back, maybe the rear door, and out of nowhere the oil is leaking. Been keeping an eye on it while we find a reliable mechanic other than the dealership where we bought it. I drove it earlier to run errands and it was fine. My husband went to take it to run to the store and there oil is all over the driveway and it is making a weird noise that it shouldn't be making. I am a dedicated Ford owner but I will have to rethink it.

Get rid of it now before it's too late!!
By Willbuyatoyota on 09/26/08 13:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 04 with 10 miles on it. Since 36,000 miles front bearing problems, took it in 3 times for brakes squealing/ very soft brakes (dealership couldn't find anything wrong) and the last straw 50,038 miles torque converter and transmission problems. We were stopped at a stop sign, wouldn't move. Research is telling me this is a common problem with 04 and 05. Not enough crashes or deaths for Ford to make a recall. My family has driven Fords since the 60's, not anymore.

Nice Van Overall, but Bad Brakes
By Iowa Van on 08/29/08 18:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I like the interior design. This is my first van. I have owned primarily SUVs for 15 years. The brakes were pulsating a year ago and I took it in and the dealer said I needed new pads. I took it to a brake shop and they said the pads were fine. I put new pads on and had the rotors turned and the problem is back. The fan in the heat/AC broke the first 2 months. The gasket on the rear door leaks in a hard rain and in a car wash. Terrible gas mileage. Had to get new tires after 40,000 miles.

Best minivan Ford built
By Mark on 08/05/08 17:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Have almost 90,000 miles on mine and haven't had any mechanical problems. What's more by keeping rpms at 2000 at speed at 55-60 am getting 23 mpg highway. Van is fun to drive. Has a lot of torque for V6 and is comfortable and roomy. Very little fatigue on long trips. Road noise could be a bit better but it's not bad. Owned Windstars before this and this was definitely best one Ford built. Sorry it's not being made anymore.

Ford Freestar Review
By Lisa on 06/20/08 12:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My minivan is great exept for 2 things. Acording to my digital dashboard, my fuel economy is currently 14.9. Not so good at $4.00 a gallon gas. My brakes are squeaky. I have had them checked several times, and the brake pads are fine. I was told it's a "Ford thing".

Don't Buy unless you have lots of money!
By Honda 4 Me on 04/14/08 10:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Well when buying this hellish nightmare called a freestar I thought I was going to be getting a good vehicle. Was I so wrong! About 30,000 km in I started to get a wheel noise brought back to dealer 3x's they couldn't hear it. I asked the mechanic and he said they know what it was but couldn't replace both. I was a bit peeve and now out of warranty I am more peeved! I have 85,000 km and now paint is peeling so I called to Ford today and asked what they are going to do about it and there response is it is your problem. It is a well know fact the primer on these Ford vans is no good! Also went to trade it in and only worth get ready for it $4,000 wow after shelling out $17,000 2 years ago!