Used 2004 Ford Freestar SEL Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Quality?
By Frank

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used, presently has 45,000. The brakes squeal and we were told twice that there is no problem. My wife went out of town and attempted to open my rear door and the handle fell off for no reason. The engine runs strong and the van has a good amount of pickup. The mileage could be better. This is a step down from the Windstar we had to replace due to an accident. You could make a better choice.

Steering wheel audio controls and zoned heating/cooling

Get rid of the upper dash compartment or redesign it with better materials. Coins fall into the twilight zone due to spaces in the compartment.

Bad brakes
By cskline34

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this for two years, was looking for something reliable for the family. Had to replace the rear pad at 45,000 and I can't get the rear calipers to compress, even with the tool to turn the piston. In short they are cheap crap. I have the 4.2 engine which has plenty of power and makes it fun to drive. The interior is very low cost feeling though. My biggest complaint is the brakes on this van. They are just unacceptable and will have me selling it as soon as I replace the calipers.

Engine 4.2L only.

Change brake manufacturer and warranty the existing vans. This is a common problem I have seen on the web now that I have looked. Ford is not doing anything about it though.

Very Happy
By Bri66

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We drove last summer to Yellowstone. Handled very well both on side roads and highway. Pushed it hard for several days driving and found it very comfortable to drive.

Wife loves it very much. Very happy with her purchase. Inside very roomy and very comfortable.

Replaced original tires at very low mileage, worn. Does not handle that well on snow covered roads.

Not comfortable
By AMYin New York

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle with 12,000 miles on it it; presently has 45,000. The shocks and struts need replacing, the front end makes noise. The buttons for the factory radio chipped its paint. The bumper paint is chipping off and the other day I attempted to open my rear door and the handle fell off for no reason. 3rd row seat is VERY uncomfortable and absolutely no leg room, my alarm battery died and I found out that Ford dealerships must "reprogram" my remote after every battery change at a cost of $89.00 - what a RIPOFF! Other than that so far the engine runs strong and the van has a good amount of pickup but it costs me presently $80 to fill it up with regular gas at the pumps.

Rear A/C and heat.

Better quality paint, more comfortable seating plans, and stop charging customers an arm and a leg to replace a BATTERY in the remote alarm. It would cost less if I purchase an aftermarket alarm.

Ford Freestar Review
By Gerard

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have not had any problems with this van in the 1 1/2 years that I have owned it. It drives great, handles well, great performance. It's fairly comfortable, and it's very easy to operate the fold-down seats.

My family loves the tri-zone temperature settings - one each for driver, passenger. and rear. The engine is peppy, the CD player is above average, and styling is very nice.

The pop-out glove-box in the center counsole needs to be redesigned. It's not very sturdy and stuff falls behind it all the time. I wish the gas mileage was a little better. It's less than my SUV.