Used 2004 Ford Freestar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

04 Freestar Ltd
By Mike

2004 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle used from a dealership. So far so good. Vehicle averages 17-19 mpg overall between a mix of 65% highway / 35% city driving. We almost opted not to get this car just because of all the negative mpg reviews. We test drove a 05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with cloth seats/ stow & go and were very close to purchase except for this Ford came to our attention with the same mileage and far more goodies (ltd package) for less. We have always owned GM vehicles, this is our first Ford. We also considered the Kia Sedona EX, but that model is near impossible to find for the same price. Ford won't let you down. I will say that we bought an extended warranty if anything happens..

heated leather seats, trip computer, fold flat 3rd row, factory 6cd in-dash changer stereo w/ (4) 6x8 speakers, ride quality, low wind noise, dual power sliding doors via remote, electronic climate control, cargo roof rack for extra storage(we camp alot in the summer)

mpg. The Dodge Gr Caravan SXT we test drove from for a weekend trip w/ the 3.8 V6 option got between 3-4 overall better mpg than this Ford. cd stereo buttons on Fords show wear quickly. 3rd row has no split fold

Stay Away From This Car
By James

2004 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

After only 70,000 miles, the transmission of our 2004 Ford Freestar broke down. I was in the middle of traffic during rush hour with the car suddenly driving backwards after a brief red light. However, it didn't stop there. My car was towed to the dealership where they neglected it for a week. In total, they said that it would cost $3,600 just for fixing the transmission AND that didn't cover rental costs. All in all, I would definitely not recommend this vehicle to anyone. Buyer Beware.

Recall all Ford Freestars. They are NOT safe.

nice, but not nice
By mechanics dream

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Lots of problems, (new) rack, air conditioning, power steering pump, wheel bearing, power window, (drivers side), rear power latch (twice), goes through tires, now it is pinging like the timing is off, but, it looks good and is comfortable on the highway, reading about the transmission problems, please I hope I dont have this problem,

I like it more than my montana van, that was a horror story.

ford should help with these problems, as lots of freestar owners have the same problems

BAD TRANSMISSION
By Tina

2004 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

My transmission went out at 50,000 miles without any warning. I was nearly hit as there was no shoulder to pull over to. I was accelerating around a corner then absoultely nothing. Without proof of transmission service at exactly no more than 30999 miles warrantee is void. NO transmission should go out at 50000 miles, yet Ford is not recalling this problem. Shame on you Ford. Never again.

Poor components
By Dr. Gonzo

2004 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought van new. Main problems have been with poor components. Examples: Have had to replace both front power window motors, driver seat heater, driver seat adjustment motor, and 6CD/radio has been replaced TWICE, fuel pump died on the highway at 60K. Fortunately no problems with engine/transmission; not even leaking/burning oil with almost 90K on it. Poor fuel economy as I can only get to 18mpg on highway. I've owned Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Mazda and Hyundai and this will likely be the last domestic vehicle I ever own.

Safety features (airbags/curtains, stability control, antilock brakes), fold flat rear seat, cargo capacity.

Need to get better parts from suppliers.