Used 2004 Ford Freestar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Freestar

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

If it blows up tomorrow I won't miss it!
By alwayscrazy

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van in 2004 since then you name it it has broke the 6 disk cd player (twice) window controls, seat belts, 3rd row bench, brakes, a/c, calipers, horn, passenger sliding door groans (had it in the shop numerous times), the sliding door locks don't always work (been fixed many times, wheel bearings, and much more. Warranty runs out soon don't know what we will do then. Will never buy a Ford again, the freestar has ruined it. Thanks Ford

Favorite Features

not really

Suggested Improvements

everything, give me back my money

Don't buy it
By Chris is PA

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this brand new. They don't even give me enough space to go through all the problems. It was an electrical nightmare - the radio wouldn't shut off and killed the battery. Went though four batteries. got a new computer, new radio. Both power window motors replaced. On my third set of roters, calipers, brakes. Changed ABS sensors, a half shaft, a egr sensor and now my transmission is acting up. These are the things I can remember.there are more. I have 90000 miles, but problems started about six months in to me owning it. This has to be the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Looking at trading it in on a Honda Odessey before the transmission ends up going!!

Favorite Features

My seat is comfy??

Suggested Improvements

Recall the entire vehicle and give me my $30000 back Ford!

Tranmission fail - TWICE and now acting
By Dave T

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had to put two transmissions in this vehicle. One at 40,000 then again at 79,000. Now the torque converter is screwing up again. The MPG is dismal. Contacted Ford and the operator could care less even when I told her I was done buying Ford. Oh yea, I owned a 1994 Windstar (same vehicle) that received a new trans[ at[ 45,000. Van rides nice when it rides. Buyer beware!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the trans and torque converter and maybe hire a new phone representative.

Transmission problems
By harold

2004 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have always owned Ford's until now. Freestar dumby lights kept coming on all ford dealers told me it is a dumby light, keep driving, turn car off and then go again. transmission is gone, it does nothing but shake and not want to go. it has 99,000 miles on it and ford says not there problem. we don't have $2500.or $3000.00 to fix it. I had the dvd player for kids but now nothing

Suggested Improvements

fix transmissions on this car, i loved it for kids, but not anymore cannot drive it.

Bad Deal for Ford
By kim

2004 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

When my husband first brought van we had problems with the a/c not cooling like it supposed to. Brought it back to the dealership about 3 times for the a/c until they finally fixed it. Then for some unknown rest one of my hoses had gotten a hole in it and thats when more problems started. I have changed the mass air sensor on it now my egr vale needs changing, my brakes needs changing it kills on me at a red light or stop signs it is jerking on me while I am driving. My engine light stays on and goes off when it is ready. I don't want no more minivan or vehicles from ford.

Favorite Features

Alot of space and room for the kids.

Suggested Improvements

Stop making the Freestar for customers to buy.