2004 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
Quality junk minivan
By Tigervol5 on 07/02/09 08:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This the worse car that I have owned. It was a lemon. I have spend over $24000 for new car that I have expected to last least 8 years. Less than 5 years later with only 70,000 miles, I have major problem with transmission which will cost over $2500 to $3000 to fix. I will never buy Ford product here on.

F-O-R-D
By Unsafe vehicle on 06/20/09 13:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The traning went at 78oo's some miles and caught the fiberoptic system on FIRE!! GEE ANOTHER TRANSMISSION DOWN THE DRAIN, seems to be the thing with Freestar vans. I think there should be a CIVIL ACTION LAW SUITE against Ford. I sure hope the owner of FORD never gets in a Freestar and cathes fire. Thank god we are alive, we just made it out of the van!!

2004 Ford Freestar
By nadineb on 05/02/09 05:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I would not recommend purchasing this vehicle unless you have a lot of extra money to fix all the faults with it. My opinion of this vehicle is that Ford needs to recall this van. It stopped running twice while it was traveling thirty five mph, and once, as I was entering a high speed roadway. Reliability zero. I fear for my life when I drove it which I will no longer take that chance.

Needs to be recalled
By Disappointed on 04/29/09 06:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the van for 4 years now. 3 weeks after purchase there were noises heard while driving under normal conditions. Took it to dealer twice; they said they found nothing. Trusted their opinion since they sell. Now a new problem...transmission gave in. Van is sitting in mechanics garage collecting dust until I can come up with at least $3000 for repairs. Also, driver side window motor needs to be replaced. Talked to some other mechanics and they're baffled why these problems occured on a 5-yr old vehicle under 100k miles. I'm not buying a Ford ever again.

another transmission failure
By Terri on 04/23/09 18:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

i travel a lot. so i wanted a vehicle that would not wear me out when i drive. overall this van drives well over long distances. however, without warning, at 63,000 miles i attempted to put the van in gear - nothing. the "extended warranty" the dealership sold to me (AMERI GUARD) - said i did not have the 60,000 mile transmission service so (in their words) "we will not pay and are washing our hands of it"! so who actually takes their vehicle in at the exact mileage for maintenance? anyway, i think FORD is well aware they have major transmission issues for their 2004 and 2005 models and yet they do nothing about it! HONDA OR TOYOTA NEXT TIME!

Life Saver
By Susan on 03/24/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is a VERY safe van. I was in an accident and totaled my van this past Saturday. To say the least, the van is a mangled mess and is missing three wheels. The frame is a pretzel, but my children and I were completely safe! We were able to climb out the driver's door (the only working door) and were unharmed. This van did it's job...it kept my kids safe. I am looking to purchase this van again because I do feel safe driving my children inside of it.

Like My Freestar
By Like My Freestar on 03/04/09 12:48 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased my Freestar Used from a dealer. Have owned Grand Caravans and Voyagers in the past. I LOVED the Freestar at first-then it wore off down to I really LIKE it! It has been very reliable in the past 18 months, never a repair or problem. It is fairly comfortable except for my teenage son who is medium-tall and can't get his legs comfortable anywhere in the back. That being said, The van is dependable and versatile. We have hauled lumber and pets, loaded it down to go camping. I would probably go back to Grand Caravan if looking for another minivan

Love my Freestar
By JesY on 02/25/09 10:31 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I have read so many complaints about this van and I am shocked. I bought my van used 3 years ago with 15,000 miles on it and now I have 65,000 miles. I love everything about it. I will probably drive it until the wheels fall off. We have recently replaced the tires and the brakes. We have taken several trips to other states and the gas mileage has been good. My husband and I have owned all Fords except one vehicle and will continue to be loyal Ford owners.

Poor braking
By Rbndawn on 02/02/09 13:30 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it with 23000 mi. I just spent $400 on brake parts only and noticed some improvement but still I'm not satisfied. Seemed like the system is undersized for the vehicle weight. As far as comfort is very good and the power is just enough for its size with the small 6 cyl. My first and my last Freestar.

Ford needs to step up!
By m_a_t_47362 on 01/11/09 07:11 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We got our Freestar in October of 2004. We were told it was new and that only the dealer had drove it. We ended up paying full brand new price, when it had over 16,000 miles on it. We get it home and immediately started seeing problems. The side mirror had been glued on, the door handle on the back gate kept coming off, we was supposed to had a bumper to bumper warranty on it, but when I took it in to get handle put back on we was told it would cost us a minimum of $300 just to get it looked at! There is something wrong with all the wiring, it dies all the time, door locks won't work, and driver window won't roll down. Engine light stays on, and brakes and tires can't last long on front end. All in all this is not a good vehicle. Do not buy!