2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
04 Freestar Ltd
By Mike on 02/13/10 10:16 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle used from a dealership. So far so good. Vehicle averages 17-19 mpg overall between a mix of 65% highway / 35% city driving. We almost opted not to get this car just because of all the negative mpg reviews. We test drove a 05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with cloth seats/ stow & go and were very close to purchase except for this Ford came to our attention with the same mileage and far more goodies (ltd package) for less. We have always owned GM vehicles, this is our first Ford. We also considered the Kia Sedona EX, but that model is near impossible to find for the same price. Ford won't let you down. I will say that we bought an extended warranty if anything happens..

Stay Away From This Car
By James on 02/03/10 09:13 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

After only 70,000 miles, the transmission of our 2004 Ford Freestar broke down. I was in the middle of traffic during rush hour with the car suddenly driving backwards after a brief red light. However, it didn't stop there. My car was towed to the dealership where they neglected it for a week. In total, they said that it would cost $3,600 just for fixing the transmission AND that didn't cover rental costs. All in all, I would definitely not recommend this vehicle to anyone. Buyer Beware.

nice, but not nice
By mechanics dream on 01/29/10 19:11 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Lots of problems, (new) rack, air conditioning, power steering pump, wheel bearing, power window, (drivers side), rear power latch (twice), goes through tires, now it is pinging like the timing is off, but, it looks good and is comfortable on the highway, reading about the transmission problems, please I hope I dont have this problem,

BAD TRANSMISSION
By Tina on 11/22/09 13:55 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

My transmission went out at 50,000 miles without any warning. I was nearly hit as there was no shoulder to pull over to. I was accelerating around a corner then absoultely nothing. Without proof of transmission service at exactly no more than 30999 miles warrantee is void. NO transmission should go out at 50000 miles, yet Ford is not recalling this problem. Shame on you Ford. Never again.

Poor components
By Dr. Gonzo on 09/10/09 08:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought van new. Main problems have been with poor components. Examples: Have had to replace both front power window motors, driver seat heater, driver seat adjustment motor, and 6CD/radio has been replaced TWICE, fuel pump died on the highway at 60K. Fortunately no problems with engine/transmission; not even leaking/burning oil with almost 90K on it. Poor fuel economy as I can only get to 18mpg on highway. I've owned Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Mazda and Hyundai and this will likely be the last domestic vehicle I ever own.

Transmission Problems
By G.D. Henderson on 09/05/09 10:18 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The car has been good, except when it stranded me and my family in a remote stretch of Texas road when the transmission suddenly failed without any warning whatsoever. Turns out it was the faulty spline design of the torque converter, where the splines (gear type teeth) stripped out. Cost wss over $1200.00 for repair, $300.00 rental car and $200 towing - plus missing a family Labor Day gathering at my mothers. After reading of the huge number of transmission failures on this vehicle on other web sites, I now question the reliability of this vehicle and may shift over from Fords. Being a registered Mechanical Engineer, I know how important reliability is, especially for your family.

2004 Ford Freestar
By nadineb on 08/28/09 07:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Worst vehicle that I have every owned. Feared for my safety in this vehicle. I would not recommend it to anyone. I will not purchase another Ford vehicle ever again because of having such a bad experience with this vehicle. Review NHTSA site for numerous complaints.

Recall is Needed-Transmission
By Anabel on 08/20/09 12:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

If the transmission issues would not happen. This van would be great. But the reliability of the vehicle and the safety of my children and whomever is in it comes first. This vehicle is unsafe. Please go to NHTSA or safercar.gov and draw your own conclusion.

Not Built Ford Tough
By Robert M on 07/13/09 22:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

transmission failed at 88000 miles.The failure was not do to neglect or abuse. this was 2 weeks before the warranty was up. and Ford of Canada is telling us to bad. they say water must have got into the transmission and that's what caused the internal parts to get rusty, but are not sure how it got in there. after calling them they tell us it's not covered. so much for "Built Ford Tough" & "Quality is #1"

2004 Ford Freestar is unreliable
By Lisa on 07/13/09 11:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Freestar new in 2004 and it has been a good car until the this year. I have 85000 miles on my Freestar and the transmission left me stranded on the side of the interstate with no warning at all. $3000 later I am back running. If you look at the Freestar forum on the Edmunds.com website you will see many others like me who have had transmission problems with all year models of the Freestar beginning at 42000 miles. I was lucky to get 85000 out of mine before it quit.