2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
Quality?
By Frank on 06/06/07 15:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used, presently has 45,000. The brakes squeal and we were told twice that there is no problem. My wife went out of town and attempted to open my rear door and the handle fell off for no reason. The engine runs strong and the van has a good amount of pickup. The mileage could be better. This is a step down from the Windstar we had to replace due to an accident. You could make a better choice.

Bad brakes
By cskline34 on 03/02/07 19:11 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this for two years, was looking for something reliable for the family. Had to replace the rear pad at 45,000 and I can't get the rear calipers to compress, even with the tool to turn the piston. In short they are cheap crap. I have the 4.2 engine which has plenty of power and makes it fun to drive. The interior is very low cost feeling though. My biggest complaint is the brakes on this van. They are just unacceptable and will have me selling it as soon as I replace the calipers.

Very Happy
By Bri66 on 02/27/07 23:02 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We drove last summer to Yellowstone. Handled very well both on side roads and highway. Pushed it hard for several days driving and found it very comfortable to drive.

Not comfortable
By AMYin New York on 05/29/06 21:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle with 12,000 miles on it it; presently has 45,000. The shocks and struts need replacing, the front end makes noise. The buttons for the factory radio chipped its paint. The bumper paint is chipping off and the other day I attempted to open my rear door and the handle fell off for no reason. 3rd row seat is VERY uncomfortable and absolutely no leg room, my alarm battery died and I found out that Ford dealerships must "reprogram" my remote after every battery change at a cost of $89.00 - what a RIPOFF! Other than that so far the engine runs strong and the van has a good amount of pickup but it costs me presently $80 to fill it up with regular gas at the pumps.

Ford Freestar Review
By Gerard on 12/05/05 13:37 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have not had any problems with this van in the 1 1/2 years that I have owned it. It drives great, handles well, great performance. It's fairly comfortable, and it's very easy to operate the fold-down seats.

Excellent car that feels safe to drive.
By MagicMarv on 09/05/05 20:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Big but not too big. Comfortable and great sound system. Low road noise. Great acceleration and more.

I Love My Freestar
By Noreen Sutphen on 07/25/05 10:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We are in our 70's and have never had a van, but we are enjoying the Freestar very much, and find it very comfortable, and easy to handle, with fairly good gas mileage. We have had 2 Explorers, but the Freestar is much more comfortable, and fun to drive, and the roomy interior is a real plus, as I am on oxygen so we can carry all my equipment and still have lots of space. It is also great for traveling with our 4 year old grandson, and our new puppy, a Bichon Frise.

So far, so good
By mom of 2 on 07/04/05 18:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I dreaded moving from my Subaru to a minivan, but I love my Freestar! Bought it used (it was a corporate lease) and saved about $15,000 off new price. The 4.2 liter engines gives me plenty of power and considering the size of the vehicle, I'm not unhappy with the fuel economy. I've gotten about 18 mph so far. I like the feeling that I'm driving the vehicle, it's not driving me, like with the Caravan and Sienna I tested. I will buy an extended warranty just in case. Time will tell.

No Problems after 24000 Km
By Rob R on 04/19/05 01:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've driven my 2004 Freestar Sport for nearly a year and have clocked 24,000Km. It's never been back to the dealer for warranty service - probably the best new car I've ever owned. I owned a Windstar previously. The ride, quality of interior materials, handling, brakes, transmission shifting - all much better than Windstar. Only gas mileage is worse. Overall, a great vehicle at thousands less than the imports!

I love this van
By Michelle Scott on 04/09/05 02:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The features on this van astound me. I really enjoy driving this van. I'd had a Chevy Astro van before, and this one drives more like a car. The styling and comfort of this vehicle are very impressive.