Used 2004 Ford Freestar SEL Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Quality junk minivan
By Tigervol5

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This the worse car that I have owned. It was a lemon. I have spend over $24000 for new car that I have expected to last least 8 years. Less than 5 years later with only 70,000 miles, I have major problem with transmission which will cost over $2500 to $3000 to fix. I will never buy Ford product here on.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Everything that is why Ford don't make it anymore.

Life Saver
By Susan

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is a VERY safe van. I was in an accident and totaled my van this past Saturday. To say the least, the van is a mangled mess and is missing three wheels. The frame is a pretzel, but my children and I were completely safe! We were able to climb out the driver's door (the only working door) and were unharmed. This van did it's job...it kept my kids safe. I am looking to purchase this van again because I do feel safe driving my children inside of it.

Favorite Features

Safety! Airbags deployed and deflated quickly. Crumple zones held up beautifully. Windshield broke, but stayed in tact.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic lumbar - not manual...breaks too often and is expensive to be reset.

Problems from day 1
By LynnK

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased it as a Ford Certified vehicle and the front end has always "smoked", my door locks don't work every time, the side mirrors do not work electronically now, the car has always had intermittent "jerking" at around 45 mph, replacing brakes was a chore, caliper would not compress, now my power steering is having issues, can't remove rear captain's chairs. When I took it in because of a transmission leaked early on, they told me nothing is wrong, only replaced seals. Did not fix problem. Gas mileage horrible, also have an Avalanche and that gets better gas mileage. Traded in Mustang for this? I do not expect a 4 year old vehicle to have this many problems.

Favorite Features

Roomy for 3 kids, rear folding bench.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage! Make a better quality van that doesn't have issues after 4 years.

Get rid of it now before it's too late!!
By Willbuyatoyota

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 04 with 10 miles on it. Since 36,000 miles front bearing problems, took it in 3 times for brakes squealing/ very soft brakes (dealership couldn't find anything wrong) and the last straw 50,038 miles torque converter and transmission problems. We were stopped at a stop sign, wouldn't move. Research is telling me this is a common problem with 04 and 05. Not enough crashes or deaths for Ford to make a recall. My family has driven Fords since the 60's, not anymore.

Favorite Features

DVD, radio system, power doors

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, transmission, transmission, torque converter

Nice Van Overall, but Bad Brakes
By Iowa Van

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I like the interior design. This is my first van. I have owned primarily SUVs for 15 years. The brakes were pulsating a year ago and I took it in and the dealer said I needed new pads. I took it to a brake shop and they said the pads were fine. I put new pads on and had the rotors turned and the problem is back. The fan in the heat/AC broke the first 2 months. The gasket on the rear door leaks in a hard rain and in a car wash. Terrible gas mileage. Had to get new tires after 40,000 miles.

Favorite Features

DVD system, power side doors, radio controls on the steering wheel, auto headlites, folding 3 row seat, overhead console.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, better brake system.