Used 2004 Ford Freestar SES Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Try again
By Chad

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I will never own another FORD again. Where do I start. The motor is flat and lifeless, the transmission is sloppy with bad programming; no wonder it gets terrible gas mileage (18-20mpg highway). The brakes are soft, the carpet is cheap, the rear is noisy on the highway, the rear floor is more uneven than my lawn. After spending 6 months with it and reading additional reviews, I realize I made a bid mistake buying this van. It is the highest cost to own minivan out there. I would not recommend it to anyone. Save your money and buy something good.

Favorite Features

The exterior looks.

Suggested Improvements

The motor, transmission, seat to steering wheel distance, the ride, the brakes.

Back to the Drawing Board
By Bill Wilson

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The Freestar is a let down compared to the Windstar I traded in on it. Ford has been trying to play catch up with Honda and Toyota for years and fell flat on their face for the Freestar. I have returned to the dealership 9 times for quality related repairs. 3 of which are a non fixable brake squeal that will bring you out of your seat when you hear it. They manufactured a kit that adjust the pads so the squeal is quieter, but the pad braces keep breaking because they are made from cheap thin sheet metal. The rear captains chairs threads are even coming apart at the seams and they are only used 1% of the time when I have someone riding in the back. I have purchased my last FORD.

Favorite Features

I do like the extra storage in the doors and on the dash. The fold away third seat is nice also.

Suggested Improvements

Put the quality back in the car before you put the name FORD on it.

Ford Freestar, great value,
By ben

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

If you're looking for a van to buy and keep, not trade in a lot, buy the Freestar and buy an extended warranty. I have a 1998 Windstar and the Ford service centers are really number 1. When you're on the road and you need service or something happens, you're in good hands. The van is great.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy; in general all minivans should have better gas milage, but the power this van has is also great

Don't go there
By FordMan

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

After approximately one year of ownership and 8+ visits back for various repairs I call it a Lemon. The dealer calls it normal for a Ford Freestar. In fact the Service Manager had one for a Demo and turned it back in because of problems. I'm a Ford man and have owned them since my first one in 1974. This vehicle has shaken my confidence in Ford. Ford had a silent recall on the front brakes of the vehicle. You get a high pitch squeal and after taking it in twice the dealer admitted that the calipers and their brackets had to be replaced. I own a 2000 Mustang with 40K+ miles; it doesn't have any rattles and has never been into the dealer for anything. Don't buy a Freestar.

Favorite Features

It looks nice, but don't let that fool you.

Suggested Improvements

Go back and make the vehicle as solid as the Windstar. The Freestar is a major disappointment.

almost a 9
By Pinky98

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

First tank of gas got me 19city miles Second, 24 highway miles Third, 23 highway & city Buying a 2004 this late in the season (October) got me over $11,000 off sticker price. Right now I only have 650 miles. I would suggest the $130. for the center console. It's a great storage space.

Favorite Features

visability, nooks & cranny spaces for storage.

Suggested Improvements

The distance of the drivers seat and steering wheel sould be improved, when the seat is were you want it, the steering wheel is to far away. Ford should add telescoping to the steering column. Also move the center console two inches to the right for more leg room for the driver.