2004 Ford Freestar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:
Try again
By Chad on 09/01/05 22:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I will never own another FORD again. Where do I start. The motor is flat and lifeless, the transmission is sloppy with bad programming; no wonder it gets terrible gas mileage (18-20mpg highway). The brakes are soft, the carpet is cheap, the rear is noisy on the highway, the rear floor is more uneven than my lawn. After spending 6 months with it and reading additional reviews, I realize I made a bid mistake buying this van. It is the highest cost to own minivan out there. I would not recommend it to anyone. Save your money and buy something good.

Back to the Drawing Board
By Bill Wilson on 06/23/05 20:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The Freestar is a let down compared to the Windstar I traded in on it. Ford has been trying to play catch up with Honda and Toyota for years and fell flat on their face for the Freestar. I have returned to the dealership 9 times for quality related repairs. 3 of which are a non fixable brake squeal that will bring you out of your seat when you hear it. They manufactured a kit that adjust the pads so the squeal is quieter, but the pad braces keep breaking because they are made from cheap thin sheet metal. The rear captains chairs threads are even coming apart at the seams and they are only used 1% of the time when I have someone riding in the back. I have purchased my last FORD.

Ford Freestar, great value,
By ben on 03/06/05 14:57 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

If you're looking for a van to buy and keep, not trade in a lot, buy the Freestar and buy an extended warranty. I have a 1998 Windstar and the Ford service centers are really number 1. When you're on the road and you need service or something happens, you're in good hands. The van is great.

Don't go there
By FordMan on 01/06/05 17:13 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

After approximately one year of ownership and 8+ visits back for various repairs I call it a Lemon. The dealer calls it normal for a Ford Freestar. In fact the Service Manager had one for a Demo and turned it back in because of problems. I'm a Ford man and have owned them since my first one in 1974. This vehicle has shaken my confidence in Ford. Ford had a silent recall on the front brakes of the vehicle. You get a high pitch squeal and after taking it in twice the dealer admitted that the calipers and their brackets had to be replaced. I own a 2000 Mustang with 40K+ miles; it doesn't have any rattles and has never been into the dealer for anything. Don't buy a Freestar.

almost a 9
By Pinky98 on 11/17/04 17:19 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

First tank of gas got me 19city miles Second, 24 highway miles Third, 23 highway & city Buying a 2004 this late in the season (October) got me over $11,000 off sticker price. Right now I only have 650 miles. I would suggest the $130. for the center console. It's a great storage space.

Brand New w/only 11miles
By Pinkham on 11/05/04 16:22 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

5 Nov 04 Just got it a week ago, Sticker price $29,267.00 Ford knocked off $11,000.00 with promotions. Feel sorry for anyone who bought a few months back without the deals. Gas mileage.....I live in the western part of Massachusetts hilly country it's cold not the best for getting good gas mileage but heres what I got on my very first fill up. Went 230 miles & took 12gallons thats 19.1mi on the gallon. Drove with a light foot keeping rpm between 1000 & 2000 90per-cent of the time & tried not to hit the brakes. Hopefully when broken in this will improve. Attn: Ford - your gas & brake pedals that raise and lower is just plain stupid!

nothing to write home about
By rokko on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle is ok, had problems with the tape cassette early on and the engine light went on too. The brakes seem to be too low. The buttons for the A/C, rear defroster etc, are too small and the green lights you cannot see when the sun shining in the vehicle. The front doors do not shut all the time.

Worth the money, Check it out!
By K. Bartley on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Debated for 3 months over Ford, Honda and Toyota. I am VERY happy I bought this. With rebates MUCH cheaper than both and great value for the money. I know Honda and Toyota keep their value better, but this van is awesome. I own a Honda so I know about reliability. I have heard horror stories about all cars so I went with what I believe is the best value. I have the DVD, Quad buckets, power pedals, cargo net and Red paint. My wife still can't believe we own a van now but even she admits it's nice. Bottom line for us. $5K cheaper and same warranty. Doubt anything will happen to cost us $5K in repairs before warranty runs out so here we are. A GREAT VAN!

disappointed
By hey you on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I have only test driven a Freestar. I have a 1992 Aerostar XL. I hate to get rid of it. The Freestar dash design is excellent and the seating seems good. I have owned many Fords and they have generally been good for me. I have decided against the Freestar because I cannot put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it. Ford in their infinite wisdom shrunk the interior width. I guess I have to save a little longer and get a Sienna which is not as good inside.

Freestar SES
By George E. on 05/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Not a van person but I love the Freestar. I compared it to Honda and Toyota minivans and more bang for the buck. Test drove a SES with 16 inch wheels on the highway with wind gusts to 70 mph and very stable. Ordered the SES with 17 inch wheels and stability is even better. Love the room, safety features, acceleration, looks and the quiet ride.