Used 2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Very Happy
By Bri66

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We drove last summer to Yellowstone. Handled very well both on side roads and highway. Pushed it hard for several days driving and found it very comfortable to drive.

Favorite Features

Wife loves it very much. Very happy with her purchase. Inside very roomy and very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Replaced original tires at very low mileage, worn. Does not handle that well on snow covered roads.

Way too many electrical problems!
By Tommy

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

It drove great for the first 2 years. In August of 2006 we took it in to have routine maintenance and it has never been the same. It has had too many electrical problems to list as well as having to replace the transmission. Out of the past 6 months, I have only driven it about 2 weeks. The rest of the time it has been in the shop. I hope I get a new vehicle or they give me the replacement value on it for another vehicle. I am the grandson of a former lifetime Ford employee and have been a devout Ford buyer. This has really made me upset. I just hope they do the right thing. It is even worse because I am in the military and this is my wife's vehicle. It has made my life miserable!

Favorite Features

DVD system, fold down back seat, and removable back bucket seats.

Suggested Improvements

Recall this van now! It is a lemon! First fix all the electrical problems. The 6 CD changer could be more user friendly and quicker. The DVD screen had some issues when folding it up and down then playing DVDs it would have a messed up picture on the screen. Ford, do the right thing and recall!

I love my van.
By Very Satisfied

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My family of four purchased our Freestar in 2003. We have throughly enjoyed owning it. We have taken several trips and in 40,000 miles we are extremely satisfied. We followed our son's football team all over the state of IL in it. The rear tail gate and fold down rear seat work great. The sliding doors have been a life saver with our 2 year old.

Favorite Features

The smooth ride and the strength of the 4.2l v-6. Its smooth ride is comparable to a luxury car.

Suggested Improvements

Fold in the floor seats.

Great Van
By Rob R.

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 98' Windstar previously- Freestar has a much better interior, much smoother shifting transmission but gets worse city mileage. I have never had the van back to the dealer for any warranty repairs in more than two and a half years of driving - an excellent reliability performance!

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seat. Very smooth highway ride.

Suggested Improvements

More power.

First Van
By escofam

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Went and looked at Toyota and Honda to compare the Freestar and there was no comparison. The Freestar had better safety features and a much better price. I was a little concerned about handling as the Freestar replaced a Taurus wagon but after our first trip the fear was gone. The van handles wonderfully with the optional 17" wheels. First vacation trip was with 5 adults and although the mileage was around 22 mpg the van pulled the hills effortlessly with the load. It was actually fun to drive and made the trip very comfortable. Since then it has made many more trips and I look forward to the trips.

Favorite Features

Good sporty looks. The blacked out accents and 17" wheels of the SES make it stand out for a van. Plenty of room and very comfortable and quiet on the inside. Good in the snow even with traction control.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage could be a little better.