Used 2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Freestar - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

poor and unrelieable
By Tara Burns

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Cargo Van 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

everything is breaking, mirrors, heat seats, doors, transmissions, wheel problems that the dealer wont' fix.

Favorite Features

the only favorite feature doesn't work anymore,

Suggested Improvements

better customer service, Ford should stand by their cars and fix things that shouldn't break this soon in the purchase. They are money hogs.

Reliable van
By nymetfan

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Engine is a bit crude, gas mileage is poor (16-18 mpg), but it has been a reliable, reasonably comfortable, safe family vehicle. Not a single mechanical failure in the 60000 miles we've driven it, and it now has 85000 miles on it. A refreshing change in reliability from our 97 Caravan.

Favorite Features

Reliability, safety.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother, more efficient engine, better materials on the dash and doors. (Get rid of the cheap looking plastic!)

Very nice van
By Jakers

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van after owning many Chrysler vans and like this one much better, has ample power, lots of options and no problems after 55,000 miles (90000 kilometers). Added the center analog clock and it dressed up the interior.

Favorite Features

Seats, steering wheel controls, turn signals in outside mirrors, temp.and directions overhead.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise indication on dash.

Quality?
By Frank

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used, presently has 45,000. The brakes squeal and we were told twice that there is no problem. My wife went out of town and attempted to open my rear door and the handle fell off for no reason. The engine runs strong and the van has a good amount of pickup. The mileage could be better. This is a step down from the Windstar we had to replace due to an accident. You could make a better choice.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel audio controls and zoned heating/cooling

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the upper dash compartment or redesign it with better materials. Coins fall into the twilight zone due to spaces in the compartment.

Bad brakes
By cskline34

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this for two years, was looking for something reliable for the family. Had to replace the rear pad at 45,000 and I can't get the rear calipers to compress, even with the tool to turn the piston. In short they are cheap crap. I have the 4.2 engine which has plenty of power and makes it fun to drive. The interior is very low cost feeling though. My biggest complaint is the brakes on this van. They are just unacceptable and will have me selling it as soon as I replace the calipers.

Favorite Features

Engine 4.2L only.

Suggested Improvements

Change brake manufacturer and warranty the existing vans. This is a common problem I have seen on the web now that I have looked. Ford is not doing anything about it though.